Holiday Rental Auctions

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
pinkeyemedia

Holiday Rental Auctions

Post by pinkeyemedia »

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering about the possibility of a holiday rental auction site. I know people can advertise on eBay but what do you think the response from holiday villa owners would be.

Do you have weeks during the year with no-one occupying your villa? Would you rather auction those empty weeks off and get something for it (you can set reserve prices etc) and more importantly you will hopefully encourage those to visit again but paying your normal rates.

Personally I though it would be a good idea but then again I dont own a holiday villa!

Just curious to see whether villa owners would use such a service.

Thanks for your time :lol:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello PEM,

Taking your idea of a holiday rental auction site in the wider context of discounted weeks in general, this is something I have given some thought to - in my case for the autumn/winter season, when prices are lower anyway.

Whilst the idea of filling empty weeks is obviously attractive, I am hesitant on two counts:

- not wishing to undermine the image of 'quality upmarket accommodation' which I am trying to create

- 'miffing' guests who pay full price

I am sceptical whether guests who rent at a discounted price would necessarily return at the full price. They may do, but they may equally go elsewhere in search of a bargain.

I can only speak for myself, however, because the appeal of a holiday rental site will obviously vary greatly depending on individual circumstances.

Good luck with your project - if project it is!

Jenny
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have sold a week's holiday in my apartment on ebay, but would hesitate to do so on a less well-known site. I don't think it undermined the 'quality' aspect though. I had a cancellation, and re-advertised it on ebay. They paid almost full price anyway, and have rebooked for next year.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Helen,

As someone who actually has experience of ebay auctions, your perspective indicates that the advantages (far) outway the disadvantages (if there are any)...

Maybe I should be less cautious and give it a whirl!

:D Jenny
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I admit I was sceptical when I tried it, but they were really lovely guests. They had never been to the Alps before, and coming from central London, were amazed at how peaceful and quiet it was, " a real escape" . They had two small children, and were delighted at the amount of freedom they had without dangers from traffic etc. I have advertised since, but no response that time. I actually have mixed feelings, but may auction any odd days I have left during the ski season. I have always stated a reserve price or a 'buy it now' though.
brenda

Post by brenda »

I would certainly be interested in such a site - please let me know if you decide to proceed (casaianda@yahoo.co.uk).

We have had numerous bookings from ebay - many of whom have either returned or recommended us to other people.

Good Luck,

Brenda
paolo

Post by paolo »

There is such a site in existence but I can't recall the name.
Personally I though it would be a good idea but then again I dont own a holiday villa!
Er, not trawling for business are you?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
pinkeyemedia

Post by pinkeyemedia »

WOW - thanks everyone for your replies...didnt expect to have so many so soon!

I completely understand what everyone has said. My thoughts are as follows:

This would be a dedicated holiday let auction site so you (the owner) can give users feedback, ie would have them stay again or dont let them stay in your property etc!! And vice versa, guests who stay at your villa can leave feedback for you. ie beautiful, clean etc. So you can build up a reputation. The problem with eBay is that its so so broad..whereas this site is purely holiday rental auctions.

Also, although many are sceptical about things like eBay...there are 15 million of us in the UK registered to it!!

Naturally, you would probably never need to auction your most popular weeks off, just the ones that would have been empty anyway. But like a few have said...it doesnt necessarily mean you have to accept peanuts for it...you may infact get more...if two people want to stay at yours in the same week, then the price would go up and up.

Jenny's point about not undermining the 'Quality of your accommodation' is a valid one but then you could set a high starting price or reserve and really explain in the auction listing that your property is worth the higher prices.

The miffing guests who pay full price is a hard one. Every day of our lives we come accross changing prices. My TV is only 3 months old and already its £200 lower than what I paid. Also...guests who pay full wack are likely to be booking weeks that get snapped up every year. ie summer hols, half terms etc. which are the weeks you are unlikely to auction anyway. Its the odd week in November for example you may wish to auction...I certainly wouldnt be miffed as most dont go at this time. It could of course work the other way..you auction off your feb half term week last minute and cos so many people want to go, it ends up selling for more than your 'rack' rates anyhow??!! Just a though of course!

Regarding re-bookings...people might decide to rebook in the busy periods and most accept the rate change because its the summer. I just think it would be so much better to have paying guests rather than an empty villa for a week.

Helen - when you mean less quality, do you mean design wise or one that has not got a household brand name like eBay. The thing is, we all have to start somewhere and certainly if I were to go ahead with this project...I would want it to look 110% professional purely to alleviate those worries. And also you would receive the rental money before your guests arrive. I would also register the company etc, be available at the end of the telephone so you could call with questions, queries etc at any time.

The whole concept is obviously not new (owing to eBay) but my thoughts of a dedicated site sounds good. But this is exactly why I have asked you, the owners...for your input.

Just so you know where Im at (insteda of hiding behind an alias, here's a litle bit about me...

Im rather fortunate to absolutely love my job as an Air Traffic Controller at London Stansted, and I really do get paid to look out the window!! I also have rather a lot of time off owing to my shift patterns, hence why I have a number of hobbies...one includes web design. Money is not the motivator for me, I have designed lots of site for nothing, purely because I love doing it. My most recent is for the climbing club im a member of and run!! You are welcome to have a peak thesouthface.co.uk . Anyway, my point is I would love to have a go at creating a site which lots of people would benefit from and naturally it would be something to be proud of. I guess the hardest thing at first would be to get visitors. Something I would have to spend some of my wages on! I imagine it would grow slowly, and I would prefer it this way, so I could build a rapport with owners and guests rather than being a corporate brand hiding behind a website.

Right...my fingers are aching now so Im going to sign off. If you have any more thoughts, ideas or anything please let me know..I really do appreciate your input.
Warm regards

Matthew :D
pinkeyemedia

Post by pinkeyemedia »

paolo wrote:There is such a site in existence but I can't recall the name.
Er, not trawling for business are you?
Sorry if it looks like that...I was just seeing what others thought of such an idea...one thats not even off the ground!!

I was just interested on the views on what villa owners think. And im all for being honest here, hence why I mentioned i dont have a villa - well at the moment. One day I would love to!! :D

Regards,
Matthew
pinkeyemedia

Post by pinkeyemedia »

paolo wrote:There is such a site in existence but I can't recall the name.
Paolo, do you know if its a villa one because Ive come accross a hotel room auction site but not a villa one!!

Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Matthew,

You've turned a sceptical punter into an interested punter...you're obviously very enthusiastic about the possibilities your site might offer. Good luck with your project - sounds like a win-win proposition!

Jenny
pinkeyemedia

Post by pinkeyemedia »

Thanks Jenny!

I just didnt want to spend so much time on an idea that people wouldnt like!!

But its nice to know that it could have potential! :D
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Hi Pinky,

I think it's an excellent idea, I'd love to think that I'd never need it, but I should be so lucky. :roll:

Let us know how it goes. :D
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I think it's a brilliant idea ... a lastminute.com but without all the other rubbish...so it's dedicated just to holidays. I'd put my property on it if it got rid of spare weeks...

But the charges would have to be fairly low to make it worthwhile putting a property on with the chance that it wouldnt get let anyway...as in the low season there are a lot more to choose from...
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

There is ( was? )an auction site in existence cos I remember we talked about it ( was it last year or at the end of 2004? ). I remember going to look but I never heard any more about it so perhaps it folded? The cost of listing would have to be low and as Jenny said we would want a feeling of "quality " but that's not to say it couldn't work ! It would be great if it could be somewhere where someone actually could visit to find a decent place to stay at a fair price but not somewhere for peanuts.

www.thepetitmanoir.com