Waste paper baskets

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Martha

Waste paper baskets

Post by Martha »

A small thing that I am pondering.
I provide a small wicker waste paper basket in every bedroom. I think it's mostly because I've just had them for years. I bought them when we kitted the place out. They are low maintenance, I check and empty them if needed at the changeover. But now I'm wondering if they are just clutter? There's a bin in every bathroom and in the kitchen. There's never much in them.

What do you do? Do you have them or not? :)
Last edited by Martha on Mon May 14, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Yes, I provide one for every bedroom and one in the sitting room too. At home I find it annoying not to have a bin in the bedroom and the sitting room and when I'm away in a hotel I get annoyed having to walk to the bathroom (which might be occupied) with a scrap of paper, sweetie wrapper or similar because there is no bin in the bedroom.

It's a little touch but a lot of people would appreciate it and it gives a homely feel and shows you aren't cutting every corner!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We have a bin in each bedroom but not wicker - they're a fire hazard if someone throws a match in (even if they shouldn't be smoking they might light a candle). I think I read something about it in a fire risk assessment guide years ago. Anyway - we have simple frosted plastic or plain metal bins.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We do the same as you Martha, except in the master bedroom which has a bin in the bathroom, but actually your post made me wonder if it's overkill and a bit of extra work on changeover. Although to be fair, they are used.
If there wasn't one in the bedroom would people just walk a bit further to use the bathroom or kitchen bin?

Mousie, also pondering,
x
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

We have a small metal waste paper basket in every bedroom and the living room and they all get used frequently - but that could be something to do with us putting a box of tissues in each bedroom as well.
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Yes, bin in each bedroom and living room, metal not wicker or plastic for fire risk (and required by Visit England for fire risk). Fire risk has to be tiny in a non-smokng bedroom, but it has to be considered.
I think most guests would expect a bin in the bedroom; without one, there’s likely to be some interesting and unwelcome discoveries under the beds...
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

+1 and every bin has a plastic bag bin liner for that very reason - hygiene :oops:
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

In my experience, in their own homes, most people have bins in their bathroom and kitchen, not in their bedrooms. I think bins in bedrooms are a bit excessive.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Beg do differ.

We have a bin in our bedroom and in each of the children's bedrooms and in the guest bedroom.

When I stay with friends/family there is usually a bin in the bedroom and when there hasn't been I have had the awkward choice of putting my rubbish in my suitcase, taking it out with me to find a bin or asking my host what I should do with my rubbish and then they, often, feel awkward.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

It had never occurred to me before that anywhere would not provide a bin in the bedroom, so I checked the UK Quality Standards for self catering accommodation, and a bin in each bedroom is listed as a “minimum requirement”, ie required to achieve even the lowest possible rating of 1 star.
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

Seriously though...what waste do you generate in a bedroom that you would want deposited in a bin in your bedroom?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Makeup removal wipes.
Much better than anyone going to bed with their makeup still on and ruining the bed linen.

Makeup packaging, empty medication containers, lots of things that would go in a bedroom bin (rather than a closed bin in the bathroom).

Maybe if you have all ensuites, you would just have a bin in the bathroom, otherwise a bedroom bin is essential IMO.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

The packaging and labelling that comes from the new clothes you've bought or brought on holiday?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Occasionally guests have been known to engage in activities in a bed other than sleeping, often immediately prior to sleep, that necessitates the use of tissues, which can either be disposed of in the bin or thrown on the floor.
Some guests even - perish the thought - use a tissue to blow their nose.

Perhaps not putting a bin in the bedroom would be sufficient to discourage them from both of these disgusting habits?
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I sarted with a bin in every room, soon realised that they were not getting used. Well very occasionaly i'd find a little something in a bedroom bin.

Decided to remove bins 2yrs ago from all rooms except the bathroom and obviously the kitchen and nobody has commented, complained or asked for bins.

As yet i haven't found any additional litter or rubish left around the place, well no more than i did previously when there was a bin in every room.