Sykes misinformation

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Mike&Chrissy

Sykes misinformation

Post by Mike&Chrissy »

We left Sykes in February but our Sykes listing still comers up on searches, with the cottage marked as’ no longer available.’ We’ve asked them to remove it but it still appears. We’ve had very few bookings this year.
Do you think people assume we’re not on the market any more? Has anyone else had this problem with Sykes?
AndrewH

Re: Sykes misinformation

Post by AndrewH »

Mike&Chrissy wrote:We left Sykes in February but our Sykes listing still comers up on searches, with the cottage marked as’ no longer available.’ We’ve asked them to remove it but it still appears. We’ve had very few bookings this year.
Do you think people assume we’re not on the market any more? Has anyone else had this problem with Sykes?
I think that it is likely that your fears are correct. People don't know the ins and outs of these matter in the way that Hatters do and, if I read "no longer available" then, as a potential returnee, I would think "Oh shame, they have stopped renting out their holiday home".

From posts I have read from time to time on LMH, it appears that listing with Sykes can lead to unwanted problems of various kinds.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Yes Sykes "cybersquat" your holiday cottage indefinitely.

I'm still on their site as not available despite having left years ago. The good news is that my own live listings and website now come well above Syke's link to my property on their site!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We were on their site for many years after we cancelled our listing. When I realised I asked them to take it down and they said they would but did nothing. Ironically they would occaisionally ring me to try and sell me a listing. Easch time I explained that we weren't interested and could they please remove our old listing. Eventually they did remove it, probably because the photo they had was very poor quality by today's standards.

I don't think it ever did us any harm - Sykes under priced the cottage so we put our prices up after we left and may well have been out of budget for any potential repeat bookers anyway.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Come the 23rd I'm going to use my "right to be forgotten" to try and get Sykes to remove my defunct listing.....
sparkJS

Post by sparkJS »

25th!
MG
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

sparkJS wrote:25th!
Thank you! 25th it is :lol: