Room Only accommodation

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Happy Birthday!!
gh

Post by gh »

Joyeux anniversaire Brenda; wish you and hubby Ian all the best.
Patia

Post by Patia »

Belated Happy Birthday Brenda - you have the same birthday as my brother . . so if there is anything in horoscopes you must be very nice!

All the breakfast suggestions seem to me to be very good ones - I hope they work for you. The transport problem sounds tricky . . how far are you from the shops? If you don't fancy learning to drive a car would a moped or similar hold any more appeal do you think? Or could you make a useful arrangement with a local taxi that wouldn't be prohibitive for costs?

You sound a little weary - hope you're looking after yourself as well as your husband . . very important for both of you . .

Good luck!
Patia
A-two

Post by A-two »

hAPPY bIRTHDAY!

If the transport is a problem, maybe you have a local storeowner who would be happy to take the order over the phone, make it up and deliver the night before, adding a small delivery charge which you can pass on to the guest as part of their order.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Belated Happy Birthday :lol:
We're lucky here in Uk,supermarkets like Waitrose, Tesco, Somerfields all deliver- that would have been great for you :?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Brenda,

Sorry to hear about your OH´s illness. It can be especially difficult in a foreign country when you don´t have your extended family around for support and assistance. Stay positive and don´t overdo things. You need to stay healthy as well. Here on CB, we have a voluntary groups, called Help and they assist with translation in the hospitals and will offer home assistance if required.

I hope you enjoyed the vino tinto and had a good rest.

Maria

PS. Supermarket Mercadona do home deliveries here and you can order on the Internet.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Unfortunately Mercadona doesn´t deliver this far out and nearest village shops (2 km) only stock basic items.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Brenda wrote:Unfortunately Mercadona doesn´t deliver this far out and nearest village shops (2 km) only stock basic items.
Oh dear, that's a shame, so if neither you nor your husband drive, and there's nobody to deliver, how are you getting your own food, never mind the guests?
brenda

Post by brenda »

Friends have helped us out since Ian came out of hospital. Wonderful people. I have also used taxis to shopping mall.

We are hoping he gets the go ahead to drive again next month when he sees his Cardiologist again.
Patia

Post by Patia »

Brenda . .

I was told about the HELP Organisation that Maria mentions a couple of years ago by a friend who said they do some wonderful work. She gave me contact details for the Javea Group, which would of course be of little use to you. However, if you look on the angloinfo.com website using this link: http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/af/338 ... roups.html you will find details of groups in other areas too. Clearly these are all in the Costa Blanca, but I wonder if they might have connections with similar organisations in your part of Spain. They offer a lot of possibly useful services, including volunteer drivers, so it might be worth enquiring to see if they can point you towards someone in your own neck of the woods.

However, obviously the best news would be that Ian is well enough to drive again soon . . fingers crossed then!

Best wishes,
Patia
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Can't add to any of this, but am reading the posts with great sympathy and concern, and hope things sort themselves out speedily Patia.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Sallys Chateau

Post by Sallys Chateau »

Can anyone point me in the direction of a HELP organization in France for people facing similiar problems as Brenda ? very much appreciated if you can, Good Luck Brenda, as someone said earlier, look after yourself too :lol:
brenda

Post by brenda »

Thank you everyone. Your help and concern has really touched me. Good luck Snail.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Brenda

I have come late to this discussion but I hope everything goes well for your husband as Vally & I have both said our husbands have been ill in the past
Mine had 2 serious heartattacks in 2 days and I was told he would not survive...then if he did he wouldnt be able to ever work or anything productive this was 4 yrs ago and hes going to have his 57th birthday next weds hes gone back to a manual job and even though he only has half his heart functioning manages very well....Gets a bit breathless at times and is on a lot of medication but life for us is a lot better than I envisaged those desperately worrying times ago....so take heart...and each day as it comes.
Please keep your chin up and let us know how you & Hubby get on and dont forget youre never alone we are all thinking of you... :)
garlic

Post by garlic »

Snail, you might like to try giving these folk a call:
SOS Help
France's English-speaking crisis line

Tel: 01 46 21 46 46
3-11pm every day of the year

If the line is busy: CALL BACK.

They are in Paris but have contacts over a wide network, they really are lovely and as helpful as can be. I called them last year when I had to help a mentally ill American get repatriated and just didn't know what to do...