advise on best Dordogne location

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
helenf

advise on best Dordogne location

Post by helenf »

Prospective gite owner, seriously considering selling up and leaving north UK for a move to the Dordogne. Problem is, we don't know which part of the Dordogne (noir, vert etc) will offer the best in terms of longest rental season. Might be targeting couples/adults rather than families?? Any guidance much appreciated!
[/i]
CSE

Post by CSE »

Welcome to the forum.
Researching from afar if you search for Dordogne English run b&b you will soon see there is a lot of potential competition.
Unless you feel you have a USP that is.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
helenf

Post by helenf »

Many thanks for the heads up. OH is a plumber and heating engineer, so geared up for refurb. Thinking of offering level access and facility for disabled guests - which there doesn't seem to be many of?? Still open to suggestions re the location in the Dordogne :D
aasta

Post by aasta »

Welcome to LMH...great resources here ....
There is a well-written Who Done it Series which takes place in the Dordogne ... written by Martin Walker ...who lives in the Dordogne...I have read all of his books and after each one, I feel I know the Dordogne a bit better...so perhaps worth reading one or two of his novels...
aasta
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

could I ask why Dordogneshire ?
Its rather full already of gites/b&b or is it because your hubby wants to work for the English as well as refurbing properties ?
Area around Sarlat is very popular for rentals but expensive and most refurb properties have already been done.
Why not consider other areas around such as Lot et Garonne; Charente;Lot even the Correze ?
What would Plato do ?
helenf

Post by helenf »

Will make a point of reading the books. Lovely idea, thank you!

Just seem to be captured by the beauty of the Dordogne. Will take your advice on board tho' and research the areas you mentioned. Really appreciate your input.
Plumbing isn't the driving force and is more to help us than others! Will be concentrating on our own refurb :D
CSE

Post by CSE »

Referb?
You live without income for say 2 or more years.
Spend a lot of money in that time. Things like health care, money for transport, building materials, house hold utilities, council taxes......... maybe more.
Applying for permission to undertake works, install a new drainage, maybe water supply. Permissions to run a B&B or what ever.
Once all the prep work has finished you then will start a business from scratch, more out goings than income until you have built up something and get better known.

Not in France, but related to what you think you may want to do:
We have a few bloggers around this way- one has been working of renovations for 12 years and the other 5 years plus. Both have still not got a finishing date. One property which needs a lot to finish the project with no permissions been on the market for over year, maybe 2 now.

Have you really not thought about purchasing up and running business? Income straight away. No permissions to run around before you start. Must be some bargains around with some Brits wishing to sell up before Brexit?
helenf

Post by helenf »

Fortunate to be mortgage free and financially sound :wink:
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

It can be done from scratch if you can do all (most) of the work yourselves as we have done over the past 25 yrs, but its a long slow process based around cash flow and energy levels.
What would Plato do ?
helenf

Post by helenf »

Thank you bornintheuk for reassurance :D
CSE

Post by CSE »

we have done over the past 25 yrs, but its a long slow process
Sounds extremely slow to me. May you should write a book about it over that time you must have many a story to tell of the ups and downs.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Hi Helen, I have sent you a pm. Let me know if it doesn't come through
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

[quote="casasantoestevo"
Sounds extremely slow to me. May you should write a book about it over that time you must have many a story to tell of the ups and downs.[/quote]

Or get on a TV show. Lots of them around dealing with setting up businesses abroad or renovating houses. You have the added excitement of Brexit. :roll: :roll: You could then write the book - "as seen on TV".
The best things in life are free
CSE

Post by CSE »

Oh my Giraffe, you have stuck your head above the wall with THAT word. :lol: :lol: :lol:
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

why not buy an up & running business with no work to do...we are about to close our business in the Charente after 15yrs, a lot of disappointed regulars this season, would be nice to sell to someone who would continue what we started. All our viewings so far are from French businessmen with horses looking to retire....No work to do, gites fully furnished ready to go......