Honeymoon requests?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Mountain Goat

Honeymoon requests?

Post by Mountain Goat »

I thought I had the hang of this, but this one leaves me slightly uneasy - would anyone like to comment? All text verbatim.

1st e-mail
Requesting availability: arriving on 01 Nov 2006 and leaving on 14 Oct 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,
Me and my partner are getting married in London and are very keen to spend our honeymoon at your wonderful ************.. I have just a few questions before i book..we dont have a car so is it easy to get to shops and local buildings? plus what is the weather like in November? will it
snow? Thankyou ever so much for your time.

2nd e-mail
Requesting availability: arriving on 27 Nov 2006 and leaving on 7 Dec 2006
Hi, we would like to book for these dates. We have managed to book our wedding for the middle of November so this would be perfect. Also if you could give us any information on the train to ******. I think we have found it but just to double check. Please contact us with preferred payment method

3rd e-mail
Hi, did you receive my last email about booking the ****** for 10 days from the 28th November to 7 December. We are getting married on the 26th Nov so it would be great to have it for these dates.

All received yesterday and today via HotMail - all replies ignored including a gentle diplomatic comment that it might not be the perfect time to visit. Am I just getting cynical?

MGoat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hmm... it sounds all right to me upon first look.

For a case like this I'd probably assume it's legit until the person offered to overpay me. :)
Brooke
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

MG..they seem too over keen on booking which makes me think that it might be a scam...especially as they want to know the "preferred payment method"..which unusal terminology.
If you want to go ahead and test this enquiry (I would class this as a late booking i.e. 8 weeks before departure), then I would request cash payment to your bank account....then evaluate their reply!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

vrooje, Crystal, thanks

That all makes sense. My other problem is that it's not the most exciting time of year here, in fact probably the least attractive weeks of the year, and I was thinking of putting them off. The weather, views etc. can be perfect, but there's a high risk of it being reasonably dire, and I would hate anyone to have memories of their honeymoon being plunged in cloud.

As long as we're honest about possible weather probs. is it any of our business what they decide?

MG
A-two

Post by A-two »

MG,
Hotmail doesn't mean anything, high flying corp execs use them for personal stuff, but I think this is a scam. First, it's very unusual for a honeymoon to be arranged last minute. Second, the "preferred payment method" is a flag and third, there's no request for you to confirm the rate.

I would reply to this asking for a phone number and best time to call to discuss arrangements. If you get one, you can then explain about the kind of weather they can expect at that time of year, and let them decide whether or not it's important.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, everyone, I guess I'll give them a call.

Routine scams don't usually ask semi-sensible questions about how far into the village, is there any snow etc, which is why I hesitated. The requested dates kept varying and the date of the 'wedding'; neither reassuring.

Their mobile phone is 07868610*** (although have been warned it will be a bad signal) - I'm not up on mobile prefixes - any clues there before I pick up the blower?

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Looks like a normal UK mobile no. Goat.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Agree- could be genuine, could be a scam - no need to commit at this point - just call; if the mobile doesn't respond, email and ask for their land-line number.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I feel they are scams. the wedding/honeymoon stuff doesn't ring true with the variety of dates! Ringing can do no harm,as GG says, you can always ask for a landline number to discuss. It isn't within the realms of impossibility that it is kosher. :lol: Let us know, we might be next !

www.thepetitmanoir.com
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Its definitely not "kosher" ! A Jewish wedding would take much longer to arrange :lol: :lol:

More seriously, I find the whole date fluctuation for a honeymoon very suspicious, and agree that a phone call is the only way out.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

OK, guys, here goes.

I have to admit I'm not into this one.

(a) trying to see if they're genuine

(b) considering putting them off as well, or at least making them see what could happen with the weather. Having said snow is doubtful, it could end up with 4' outside.

MG
Vally

Post by Vally »

If you have the vacancy why not accept the reservation stating your payment terms and see if anything comes back, it may be for real :roll:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Vally

I will, and normally it's over to the punters to look through our info and decide whether it suits them and what they want to get up to (sports, walking, I mean).

It's just that a Swiss mountain village, at the beginning of December, isn't everyone's cup-of-tea (not easy to find by the way, a decent cup-of-tea). Restaurant owners are away on hols, weather is unreliable, and, personally (though not planning one in the near future) it may not be 100% for a honeymoon.

And I've got a genius talent for making things more complicated than they are.

MG
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mountain Goat wrote:And I've got a genius talent for making things more complicated than they are.MG
Must be a goat thing! :D

We had a couple inquire re a week in February. OK, doesn't get as cold in our area as a Swiss mountain, but pretty crisp all the same. Seems that both worked full time, and this was the only week they could arrange to have a break together. I tried very hard to dissuade them, but they were keen - and went! And enjoyed it, to my surprise and relief! They weren't on honeymoon though, so it's a bit more important for your punters, if they are genuine that is.

There are also those couples who suddenly decide that it would be nice to make an honest man and woman of each other, and hey, why not next week, they say.... try to make the arrangements, there's a glitch in their plans, day changes...

I'm a benefit of the doubt sort of goat, but a phone call is the only way forward. Keep us posted!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

It's an awfully long time ago, but I seem to remember that weather wasn't a key factor for my honeymoon! They might just want to go somewhere quiet.

John