Can you give me the pros and cons of going with Sykes please

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Chinadogs

Can you give me the pros and cons of going with Sykes please

Post by Chinadogs »

We are green newbies about to buy a cottage that is already with Sykes and at the moment we can't see any reason why we shouldn't continue with them.

We'd be grateful to hear any views good and bad, and also some ideas on what the fees are likely to be. We've made contact with them but they aren't being drawn on fees, they say that this will be discussed later with a meeting at the property, so any forewarning on how they negotiate will be welcome.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Search the forum what has been said before is already in writing.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Chinadogs

Post by Chinadogs »

Yes, thanks. I search 'Sykes' and 'Sykes problems' and found a lot of very disparate threads that had a mention of Sykes within. I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the direction of a dedicated thread - but thank you for your reply
Drax

Post by Drax »

Have you tried the Trustpilot site?
There are some 'interesting' reviews on there, mainly from holidaymakers but also some from holiday cottage owners.
Keep your powder dry.
Chinadogs

Post by Chinadogs »

Great, thank you for that - I'll take a look now.

I'm guessing that I'm going to find negative scenarios on Trust Pilot and Lay My Hat because the people that are happy with Sykes don't really have anything to say whereas people with issues will be grumbling loudly.

Are there are any happy Sykes clients here?
CSE

Post by CSE »

There must be or they would have gone broke.
Trustpilot and look up the similar companies/websites and you see they get a terrible score.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Low rates more bookings more wear & tear.

24% fee.

Val on here sang their praises.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Chinadogs wrote:
I'm guessing that I'm going to find negative scenarios on Trust Pilot and Lay My Hat because the people that are happy with Sykes don't really have anything to say whereas people with issues will be grumbling loudly.
While it's true that people who are happy are less likely to voice an opinion than those who are unhappy, I'd say the advice here on Lay My Hat is pretty balanced... we like a good discussion and aren't afraid to (constructively) disagree with each other when we have a difference of opinion. We all have moans about the platforms we advertise with, but equally, you'll find plenty of positives amongst the negatives for most of the advertising platforms and agencies. We all have our preferences and after all, what works for one area/business type, may not work at all for another.

If, though, you find only negative comments about a particular agency or advertising platform on LMH, I would be suspicious and I would be seriously thinking whether they're the right people to advertise with.