AirBnB - Problems with House address and Directions.

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
cleanforum

AirBnB - Problems with House address and Directions.

Post by cleanforum »

Our property is in a rural location in the Spanish countryside. It does not have a post code or a traditional address. Along with millions of other properties here in Spain it is known to the authorities here by Polygon and Parcela, ie plot number.

Airbnb require an address for their systems so something has to be filled into those fields in order to register with ABB. So the address that is placed is not really valid as a location.

That is OK, normally because we always send guests full instruction with photos etc so guests can arrive without problem.

Trouble is with ABB, the guests don't bother to read our emails, instructions or anything they just plunk the (rubbish ABB) address into their satnavs and then bleat to me at the airport that the SATNAV does not recognize the address.

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone here? If so how to try to get around this?

We do not normally do a meet and greet at the villa.
Last edited by cleanforum on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSE

Post by CSE »

No postal or couriers delivering?
I would double check on one of these websites for a C.P.
http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site ... ioma=es_ES
https://www.codigo-postal.info/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Yes, like I said. We do not get post here in the campo. People have PO boxes in the towns and villages here to pick up their mail.

So, the problem remains, how to place a non-postal-address property into AirBnB which always requires an address?

or more importantly how can you require guests to -not- use the ABB (junk) address and instead use your directions to find your property?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Can you do a map which shows your location & add directions?
But you will still have to kake sure they have printed it off or downloaded it.
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Thats the problem, we have been sending clients directions and map for 20 years so we have that down to an art.

Here is the reason, and I realize its a bit complex, but ABB force you to enter an address for a property that really does not have one. So there-in lies the problem. Sure we have our map location, and this afternoon I updated it to be little more accurate. But what people tend to do is just put the (incorrect aproximated) address in the TOMTOM and imagine they will be led to the house.

So we have to try to get them to print off our directions before they reach that stage ....... most of the clients from other booking sites like HA/TA etc do this and as there is no address information provided to them thats fine..

The problem is to find the best way to work around this ABB anomaly.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Can you specify sat nav co-ordinates somewhere in the address?
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Its hit and miss, depending on the system, and the way people use their satnavs. 50% of the time they end up some farm track or dead end 1in2 hill with the clutch burnt out....I kid you not. The roads around here are not mapped well and we are in a very mountainous region so its dangerous even, to rely on SATNAV.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Put into your AirbnB description the problem of finding your location ( only not describing as a ‘problem’ of course) and the need to take note of YOUR specific directions on booking? Make it unmissable?!
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Thanks, Yes I have referenced this in what apear to be the relevant sections, but not the description, I will see if I can work it in there...
Veragirl

Post by Veragirl »

We discovered earlier this year that we now have an address and house number. I went to the Ayuntamiento to get a burning license and gave the normal info. like Polígono y Parcela and hey presto they entered the address as being Pago Moralico nº13. So check with your Ayuntamiento if it has been updated with an address. I did ask them if they somehow had tried to inform us about this and they said no, it was up to us just to find out in due course. Apart from sending linked instructions of how to find us we also now tell them to use Google Maps as SatNav and just enter Finca Arboleda and it works very well as we appear in Google. Otherwise I have also used the share function in Google Maps and Pinned a location that I want to share with someone. :wink: 8)
Our paradise oasis in Vera, Almería
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Can yo enter "Pago Moralico nº13" in Satnav then?
baringa

Post by baringa »

I'm in rural France and I do have a problem with the address, I currently appear to have gîtes in two different communes! When I was putting in the address it wasn't being recognised by their system despite being a lieu dit on all maps and a google business! I contacted AirBnB (I think you can book a call back) and the person was as helpful as she could be. It's a problem with their system not understanding European geography I guess :roll: :lol:
Veragirl

Post by Veragirl »

I'm not good with Satnav as I don't use one myself but I always use Google Maps either on my computer or the phone App. Personally I always use Google nowadays as you can use it as a Satnav whether you're driving or walking in a new town has worked excellently for me. In Google maps you can place a pin anywhere and set it as destination and you just say where your coming from and then it gives you the directions. This you either send to your clients via Email or share to their phone. In Google Maps top left you have the menu, click on the sausages and you get a drop-down menu. Here you can select *Location sharing or *Share or embed map. Play with it and you can probably find what suits best. :D, 8)
Our paradise oasis in Vera, Almería
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Thanks Veragirl!