Where are the Europeans?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Boomhulay

Where are the Europeans?

Post by Boomhulay »

We usually get mainly American/Canadian guests, with French, German, Spanish and other Europeans filling long weekends, especially from Autumn to Spring. This year we have had barely any Europeans at all and no bookings for later in the year.
Has anyone else noticed this trend? I’m starting to wonder if it’s a brexit side effect? Or, have air fares risen too much?
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Cheap airfares are still available and the weakness of the £ should be attractive to Europeans.
The Brexit "dividend" could have a part to play as the UK has basically said to Europe to FO, so this could be their response.
What would Plato do ?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

bornintheuk wrote: The Brexit "dividend" could have a part to play as the UK has basically said to Europe to FO, so this could be their response.
Spot on... who wants to go on holiday to a place where more than half the population has been very vocal about how much they hate you?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Ecosse wrote:
bornintheuk wrote: The Brexit "dividend" could have a part to play as the UK has basically said to Europe to FO, so this could be their response.
Spot on... who wants to go on holiday to a place where more than half the population has been very vocal about how much they hate you?
But the Spanish still go to Cataluña and vice versa.
London (some parts of the UK), even with the lower value is still hellishly expensive. Drinks, eating out, public transport, even some cases fuel.

Edit. maybe add news about the moped gangs and stabbings into the possibly hitting visitor figures too.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

for us we have always found World Cup years quiet...French esp seem to be staying put at moment - we are in France & no French bookings at all yet.....waiting for the usual rush once the football & Tour de France finish...
COYS

Post by COYS »

Ecosse wrote:
Garbage.
Having just returned from my home town I'd hazard a guess that there were as many if not more Europeans than actual Londoners living/working there & many more nationalities as well. Same as it's always been.
Flights were not particularly expensive, but as pointed out, the city most definitely is. Public transport or taxis, eating out or sightseeing can cost a small fortune. It is constantly overcrowded & quite frankly as highlighted in the press can be unpleasant/unsafe in some areas. Having grown up & lived there for 50 odd years, I don't always feel safe so I'd imagine that would perhaps concern visitors more than the referendum vote.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Europeans were staying at my cottage last week (from Holland) and this week (from Germany) & some Norwegians stayed in April

This is rather misleading as actually I have never had that many Europeans booking despite being just a 30 or 40 minute drive from Gatwick airport...

Up to 35% of my bookings come from outside the UK.

Any ideas for getting more bookings from Europe ??
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We are New Forest area and have had several sets of guests from Europe this year, particularly Germans. Don’t think Brexit is having any effect in our area :D
Boomhulay

Post by Boomhulay »

Maybe they’re just not bothering with London and heading out to the countryside?
Can’t say I don’t feel safe living here and it’s a whole lot safer then it was when I was a teen and you could get beaten up by football fans in Whitehall and the coppers wouldn’t bother to stop them!
London doesn’t have to be expensive either and I always send my guests tips on how to save money, which they really appreciate.
It’s just very weird that for the first time in 8 years, the bookings from Europe have just dropped off the edge of the world.
I did wonder if it might be something to do with the Expedia take over of all the listing sites and if perhaps they’ve dropped a lot of properties to the bottom of the search list on some of the European websites. I do know they’ve made it harder to use the filters, which was important for my place as we were very cheaply priced for family groups, but very highly rated.

Fingers crossed that things pick up for the autumn and winter bookings, or I’ll be ebaying stuff to pay the bills!

Come to London, Europeans! London voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU and we consider ourselves a separate country from the rest of the UK! :lol:
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Boomhulay wrote: Come to London, Europeans! London voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU and we consider ourselves a separate country from the rest of the UK! :lol:
Oh and doesn't that say it all about the "United" kingdom.
There are many different aspects of London and not all are pro EU
What would Plato do ?
Boomhulay

Post by Boomhulay »

bornintheuk wrote:
Boomhulay wrote: Come to London, Europeans! London voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU and we consider ourselves a separate country from the rest of the UK! :lol:
Oh and doesn't that say it all about the "United" kingdom.
There are many different aspects of London and not all are pro EU
I take it you voted to leave then? Or, have you already left and did a proxy vote?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

If this is going to turn into a Brexit spat again I'm off.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Boomhulay, we can agree to disagree on personal security but I don't think the press coverage of it are doing you any favours. However, I'd guess that your take on the Expedia (& other OTA's) effect is not a million miles off. A London wide search brings in property from Ruislip, Stanmore & Edgware among many other distant outposts. I think even the most enthusiastic of tourists wouldn't consider themselves 'in London’ from that far out!
I suppose another issue could be sheer density of listings, there are a lot to wade through & thus far more competition.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Boomhulay,
You came and posted a question. It is you that has a a puzzle to solve.
We gave you some possible explanations.
You obviously do not like them. But please do not shoot the messengers.
I have only written from experience, from the things I read/watch in the Spanish press and talking to guests. The issues written about could be your problems. It could be that your T&Cs/ prices are not competitive enough. Who knows?
Here are some bits in Spanish.
https://www.miviajeporelmundo.com/cuant ... -a-londres
http://www.visaalmundo.com/blog/cuanto- ... a-londres/
https://www.viajejet.com/es-londres-pel ... s/#brixton
http://www.diariodeunlondinense.com/alo ... os-londres
It is good that you give your guest money saving tips. But they only get them after they have reserved. Before that you have to get them not to read things like that found above.
CSE

Post by CSE »

kyreniagirl wrote:If this is going to turn into a Brexit spat again I'm off.
Nar just some like to blame everything on that. Even personal problems.