Quick repairs

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
sparkJS

Quick repairs

Post by sparkJS »

I find myself in a bit of a dilemma.

I bought my holiday let 12 months ago and the previous owner did let the place get a but tired and basic over the years. I'm really pleased that I spent a huge amount of time over the winter redecorating the place, restoring the kitchen wooden surfaces, cleaning up the patio and balcony, replacing the beds and the place has really transformed.

The final job this winter is to replace the bathrooms which has been planned and booked in.

The agency has already upgraded the property from 3 star to 4 star and it is almost certain to be 5 star next year.

My dilemma - a recent compliant has been made that the bathrooms are tired. There is some rust on towel rail and some grout damaged between the floor tiles. They are correct. It has been like this for a couple of years at least. It used to blend into this basic 3 star property and the reviews were still great.

i believe that as the rest of the house is spotless, this now stands out more. I made the decision to leave as it was. The bathrooms are going to cost me £10k and any money spent now will be wasted in 10 weeks time.

I am weighing up whether to try and repair the grout and give the rust a bit of a sand. (I don't want to give the impression that they are really bad right now as they are not. You have to look closely to spot these issues.) The most likely scenarios are that the repairs will look as bad as there is no time to do the job properly on any changeover in the next 10 weeks. Not enough drying time.

I've changed the welcome note to include a paragraph about my programme of upgrades and the changes that are being made (at the advice of the agent).

The recent complaint had a list of issues which ended with 'the clock in the lounge didnt work. I could go on...' I always get annoyed at petty complaints and make the assumptiuon that if they list a petty thing then they just like to have a moan and perhaps its not as bad as I think.

Interested to hear others opinions before I go down tomorrow.
MG
newtimber

Re: Quick repairs

Post by newtimber »

sparkJS wrote: The recent complaint had a list of issues which ended with 'the clock in the lounge didnt work. I could go on...' I always get annoyed at petty complaints and make the assumptiuon that if they list a petty thing then they just like to have a moan and perhaps its not as bad as I think.
They may be individually petty complaints but as ever it's the first impression that counts. If you arrive somewhere and as soon as you enter the lounge you find the clock obviously not working, you inevitably wonder what else isn't working and find other things to complain about and soon you have a long list (nowhere is perfect) and aren't happy. If however, you have good first impressions, then when you see the bathroom, you aren't looking for rust and even if you see it, you still think that the property is well looked after.
If as you say, the bathroom is not bad, then concentrate on the things that give a good first impression even if you consider them to be minor.
COYS

Post by COYS »

I agree with newtimber, you only get one shot at a first impression.
Raking out & re-grouting a few floor tiles shouldn't be too arduous or expensive a task surely? Even if only short term it would be a worthwhile couple of hours for very little cost.
If the rust is on a metallic or plated towel rail (not white or painted) just put a little WD40 on some fine wire wool, rub gently & you'll get rid of most of it, spotting etc. (unless it's severely corroded of course)
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
AndrewH

Re: Quick repairs

Post by AndrewH »

sparkJS wrote:The recent complaint had a list of issues which ended with 'the clock in the lounge didnt work. I could go on...' I always get annoyed at petty complaints and make the assumptiuon that if they list a petty thing then they just like to have a moan and perhaps its not as bad as I think.

Interested to hear others opinions before I go down tomorrow.
We have a lady guest like that, but I don't think her husband is that bothered. They take a fortnight with us every second August. We were staggered the first time to receive a list of what we thought were complaints when they departed. In subsequent years there were further lists plus compliments for taking up her suggestions. We realize now that she wasn't complaining as such, but putting forward "helpful suggestions". Come to think of it, we have acted on every single one of them because we came to see that they were well thought out and sensible.

Perhaps your guest is wanting in some part to be helpful and this is his/her way of showing it.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I would address the easy wins, light bulbs, batteries etc. Clean the grout too.

Occasionally i get guests making comments, I listen and appear interested...then address them if appropriate.

I find pensioners the worst, they have the time. Families are so tired they never say anything, despite paying top money.
Tournesol

Post by Tournesol »

You can clean a rusty towel rail with toothpaste!
What you've never had you never miss!