When they lie about the age of the baby?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Martha

Post by Martha »

For the baby, I wouldn't be too concerned, babies are way less trouble than toddlers, I've found! As long as you're clear about what you do and don't provide it should all be good.

For the visiting freeloaders, I have had this happen once, with a similar situation - the other family were in a cheap apartment close by and spent most of the week at our place. I'm certain that the kids all slept over in the living room at least twice. It was very confusing as they were all related and looked alike, so I wasn't sure at first.

It was majorly annoying especially as I had given a discount for under-occupancy, and someone had at the very least taken a nap in the mazot, which needed a change of bedding. I emailed them to say that since they had used the mazot, I'd be increasing the charge back to the normal rate, and mentioned the constant presence of extra guests was an issue for insurance, levels of cleaning according to use, and tax de sejour as well as there were sleepovers.

They were very apologetic and said they had meant to tell us (ha!), and would pay the extra out of their deposit.
In the end they left the place so amazingly immaculate that I didn't charge them as my cleaning was basically nil, just a polish and linen change. I think they really did realise that they were taking the mickey.

Now I state in the Ts and Cs
"You will not exceed the maximum occupancy permissible. All occupants must be named on the booking form.
Please ask us if you wish to invite visitors, as we need details for insurance purposes.
The Chalet is not an event venue and large parties (over 10 additional guests including children) are not permitted."

I would take Mouse's good advice, I agree that these guests have not been honest so far, and would fire a warning shot email over to them, reminding them of the Ts and Cs and softening it with some good suggestions for family outings and gatherings.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Morristhedog, just love that handle.

However reading through all tonight and it has been very full on from advice and suggestions from our fellow LMH's. One from me that I did not spy anywhere. Have you ever thought that you are really not cut out for this Holiday Letting game.
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
SW31

Post by SW31 »

It’s a business. If they want the world and his wife to enjoy their pool well they have to go to the local municipal pool. We’ve had ‘oh, can I invite friends over for coffee’ to which I’ve replied yes to next ‘ oh can they use the pool’ to which I’ve replied excuse me but it’s a shared pool with the owner and we will also want to use it. In other words don’t push your luck, sunshine.

It sounds hard but it’s amazing how some think it’s ok. I agree with the insurance liability point. Try working out how your liability insurance is going to cover a third party who has no contractual right to be on the property!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

SW31 wrote:It’s a business. If they want the world and his wife to enjoy their pool well they have to go to the local municipal pool. We’ve had ‘oh, can I invite friends over for coffee’ to which I’ve replied yes to next ‘ oh can they use the pool’ to which I’ve replied excuse me but it’s a shared pool with the owner and we will also want to use it. In other words don’t push your luck, sunshine.

It sounds hard but it’s amazing how some think it’s ok. I agree with the insurance liability point. Try working out how your liability insurance is going to cover a third party who has no contractual right to be on the property!
I agree that if the pool is advertised as a shared pool, then clearly other people cannot use it. Again staying the night would be a health and safety/ licensing issue as you need to know how many people are in the property in the event of fire etc

I cannot see the problem with insurance though. If you rented the place out as a permanent residence, then the people living there would be able to invite guests around and your liability insurance would cover accidents to them caused by the state of the property. I would be astonished if your insurance policy had a prohibition on your guests inviting a friend round for a cup of coffee.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I think most of us are suggesting using insurance as a good excuse for refusing without causing offence, seeming mean etc.

However, I would add that from very bitter experience (still on-going after five years) that in the event of someone needing to make a big claim against their insurance that the insurance company will look for any and every excuse and reason not to pay out. If they can refuse paying or even delay paying whilst they question and quibble over the finer points of their Ts&Cs as to whether you may or may not have guests to stay, use the pool etc. then, believe me, they will do so. And, they hold all the cards by being as obstructive as possible.

The very least the insurance company may do is cancel your cover with immediate effect leaving you to scurry around and find an alternative.

You may, or may not, win your claim in the end but do you really want to be put through the hassle?

If the property was rented out as a permanent residence then the tenant would often have their own insurance which would cover liability for their guests etc. etc?

I'm sorry if the above sounds like a rant but, as I say, I speak from very bitter experience.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

GillianF wrote: However, I would add that from very bitter experience (still on-going after five years) that in the event of someone needing to make a big claim against their insurance that the insurance company will look for any and every excuse and reason not to pay out.
Quite agree regarding some insurers quibbling about paying out on a just and genuine claim. It was rife in the UK as I can remember. Another example is when the same risk has been covered by the policies of two different insurance companies and they squabble about how the payment-out should be divided.

It must also have been like that here where I live in Greece years ago, but probably worse. However, a time limit (a set number of months), within which the insurer must make payment was included in the legal code and in my two experiences it has worked like magic. I guess penalties for failure are pretty draconian - Greek jails aren't fun, so I have heard!
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

A time limit would be very reasonable but the problem is when the insurance company dispute the validity of the claim and it has to go to law to be decided.