French Connections - hopping mad!!!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Giddy Goat

French Connections - hopping mad!!!

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's not their fault, but I have sent a complaint to FC, having just discovered that one of their advertisers has lifted vast tracts of my text directly from our website, and copied it verbatim into her advertisement - it constitutes about 70% of it!

I was so furious in fact, that I also tried to call the advertiser and let rip! Quite out of character for me - and felt somewhat deflated when all I got was a voice message (in a North Am accent; I think the number was also in North Am). So I emailed the following:

"They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I have just accidentally found your advertisement, and see that you have lifted large tracts of my text straight from our website, www.gasconymagic.com. I really do NOT appreciate this - particularly as the information took me many weeks to research and compile. I would also point out that the search engines penalise people for duplication of text!"

I know some of you have had the same experience, and there are probably many more of you, as yet blissfully unaware that this sort of theft has taken place, but we're not just talking a few lines here! I could kill the woman!!:twisted:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Having read your extremely detailed and execllent website information Jane, I can understand how annoyed you are that someone has just taken all your text! It was one of the best I've ever seen and must have taken you ages to compile. I hope they the grace to retract it - I think there have been other threads on here about what to do about copyright if they don't.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Susan, you're so sweet. I am blushing a bit now, as I'm currently printing the ad off to re-read; it isn't quite verbatim in parts, but the format is very very close to the original, and there is no way she could have arrived at her text without mine - even the way the tips on day-trips are organised....

Will do a search and revisit old threads on the subject.
enid

Post by enid »

I am mad on your behalf :evil:

I am rewriting my web page at the moment and it is time consuming and difficult to get just the tone I want. I'd spit if someone stole from it after all that work.
gh

Post by gh »

Thats shocking Jane, they obviously have no talent of their own and have copied your lovely text.

Think from memory, that someone else on here had text or photo's taken as well. Grrrrrrrr.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Marcus. Thought that was pretty awful - don't know how much text they copied as well - he may tell us when he sees this. Meanwhile, thanks for your sympathy! I've had an initial response from FC so I'll keep you posted.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello GG,

Do keep us posted - I totally share your frustration, I would be fuming, too, if I were in your position.

I shall cross my fingers and toes in the hope that you may be able to shame 'them' into retracting pdq.

Here's a thought: if a polite (-ish!) request to remove offending text does not work, couldn't we start a system on these lines:

- you let us know the name of the website
- any LMHs who wish to can then send a (polite) message of support on your behalf ??

Any takers?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Cor! Kind thought anyway Jenny - as good as the deed. Thanks! I think if she retracted her text, all that would be left of her ad would be the property description! :lol: :lol:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

:D I see you haven't lost your sense of humour!!

Maybe people would be discouraged from doing this kind of thing it they knew the LMH HIT SQUAD would be likely to descend on them!! :D
paolo

Post by paolo »

You should take this up with French Connections too, they will not want duplicated content on their site.

If you want to check if your text is being nicked by anyone, try this tool: http://www.copyscape.com/
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Paolo, I don't advertise on FC so would they be concerned or not in that case? I did say to them that I understood both parties would be penalised by the SE's for duplicated text, but this was (an extract from) Karen Viney's reply:

"I would comment however, that it is possible in this medium to plagiarize text from one advertisement to use in another and I think your initiative of contacting the owner direct is the best recourse open to you. I trust you will come to an amicable agreement.

Kindest regards, Karen Viney – Marketing

PS. I do not believe that this would affect your results in any search engine rankings."

Thanks for the link BTW Paolo, that's a useful tool for us all. Incidentally, someone here (Marcus?) pointed out that our website was constructed with frames - does that have implications in this situation?
marcus

Post by marcus »

I got annoyed a while ago when (not for the first time) some pictures and text were pinched. I'd forgotten about it and never got around to contacting the person involved :oops: Generally there is much more to success in search engines than just the text itself.

But the question about frames is a good one. Jane, if there is a sentence that appears in your site and in the stolen copy, search for quite a long section of the sentence, with " " around it. That should show your site and the stolen version, so you can see who comes top!

The response from FC is a bit poor - indeed negligent, There are regulations (under DMCA - internet copyright protection - if memory serves) that prevent this - if you were to report to the host of FC, and to the DMCA, that FC are knowingly allowing copyright material to be used on their site you could always get them shut down! That would be kind of amusing, although it wouldn't help your bookings.

Sorry I'm not a DMCA / copyright expert - perhaps someone here has come across it before?

Meanwhile of course contact the people involved and demand that it be removed immediately, or you will pursue them through a DMCA copyright theft action. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I have sent a complaint to FC, having just discovered that one of their advertisers has lifted vast tracts of my text directly from our website, and copied it verbatim into her advertisement - it constitutes about 70% of it!
Hi GG

Indeed you should be absolutely furious because lifting large tracts of your website text without your permission is theft. No different than somebody breaking into your house and stealing your goods. It's a crime.

I would get after them with vigour to explain, apologise and immediately take down the stolen material. Hint at legal action and damages - you are obviously in competition with them and they may already have taken bookings from you. Demand a written undertaking that they will not breach your copyright again. Embarrass them. Name and shame on LMH and other forums. Tell them you'll write to all the major rental listing companies about their theft.

Theft of copyright and intellectual property is a fast-growing and pernicious international crime. Good luck with bringing these toe-rags to book.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thank you all for your support! I am printing off your comments for OH (a lawyer) to peruse with a glass of wine. Since the text has been shuffled a bit by the 'imitator', and added to in parts, a word here and there changed, does that weaken my case at all? I have printed the other ad off so that we can compare them side by side.

Yes, thanks too for the tip re doing a search for specific phrases Marcus - that will be interesting! Or depressing, if frames are important. :?
debk

Post by debk »

Jane,

I had the same problem. Text and images lifted from my personal website and placed on another person's personal website AND on 3 paid listing sites.

I contacted each of the listing sites and asked them to discontinue the offending ad since it was a violation of my copyright. Two sites agreed immediately to contact the owner and get it resolved. Which they did asap.

Another responded that they couldn't do anything because it was impossible to tell if they stole my text or if I stole theirs.

At that point, I replied that, in that case, let's forget about the other advertiser.... instead, I was notifying THEM (the listing site) that THEY were in violation of my copyright and expected an immediate rectification of the situation.

Done.

Jane, you've every right to be hopping mad. The text we write says a lot about us and the kind of owners that we are. That other person is misleading her guests into thinking that she is as thorough, organized and caring as you are. And, my dear old goat, we know that you are without equal! :)

Stick with it and let us know how you are doing.
debk