Welcome Pack - how to manage condiments?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
SPJ

Welcome Pack - how to manage condiments?

Post by SPJ »

I provide a welcome pack for our guests that includes among the condiments for the two weeks mayonaise, ketchup, mustard, etc

After they've departed I usually find that about a quarter to a third has been used and I don't want to give the next guests a used pack. By the end of the summer our fridge has half a dozen partly used mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup bottles, which I finish up throwing away!

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions how to manage this please?

Ideally I'd like a solution like the Bonne Maman jam sets - ie a small pot of each condiment. Does anyone do anything like this?
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks Zingara for the link. I can get something like that in France for my jams / marmalade - Bonne Maman does them. It's small pots of mustard / ketchup / mayonnaise etc which are stumping me.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

You could try using the packets/tubes that fast food and other restaurants use although I admit these aren't very nice or 'domestic'.

But, have you thought that if only a third or quarter is being used across each of all your guests that they don't really want the mayonnaise, ketchup etc.?
COYS

Post by COYS »

We stopped supplying them because of the waste. I'd personally never use anything already opened, nor would I leave if for guests, so it ends up in the bin/recycling. Save or spend the pennies on something else, they'll buy condiments if they really want them but based on your OP they're not particularly popular/essential anyway.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I think they are important. They are a "nice touch" that our guests appreciate. One of the reasons they are not being used in their entirety is because our guests eat out a lot. So why should they have to buy for themselves a large pot of mayonnaise that they will only use 2 or 3 times in the fortnight? I was finding that they were leaving me their half-used purchases in the fridge that made me realise they need a little.

I've found the size of pots I want - sold to the airline industry. I just don't want to buy in the quantities the suppliers are offering! I think there's a market here for gites - like the luxury small jam pots - for packs of small mayonnaise / mustard and ketchup nicely presented in small glass jars that I can leave in a pretty basket.
Tournesol

Post by Tournesol »

Can you not buy small refillable pots/bottles and wash out and refill for each new set of guests?
What you've never had you never miss!
Marks

Post by Marks »

SPJ wrote:So why should they have to buy for themselves a large pot of mayonnaise that they will only use 2 or 3 times in the fortnight?
That's kind of what self catering is all about and guest choice. Where do you draw the line? I leave one kitchen roll, if they use that up they will have to buy a twin pack, do I leave 2 kitchen rolls?

I often bin barely used tom ketchup etc but do leave sachets that other guests have picked up from cafes, McDonalds etc, all presented in a little basket in a kitchen cupboard. They are hardly ever touched.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I buy everything that is squirtable, which even includes mayonnaise and salad dressings these days, and just leave it until it runs out. No one, in years and years of doing this, has ever complained. And over the course of the season they get used.
I don't bother with jars now....they're a waste. So that means jam is out and good quality mustards. If guests want those they can buy them. I do hate throwing away jam though....it always seems such a waste when they've used only a bit.
I also leave oils, balsamic vinegar, etc. and replace once empty.

Mouse
x
p.s. I ask all guests to remove all opened food from the fridge on changeover....so most times I don't actually see the waste.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I've managed to find small pots of variety mustards in Gamm Vert (garden, DIY etc centre here) though I'm not sure anyone is going to want to try the pink one! For the rest, I may well have to do what Tournesol suggests and get some of the pretty mini jam pots they do here and print some ketchup and mayonnaise labels. I'll try it for a season and if no-one uses them then I'll stop.

Oil and balsamic vinegar is never a problem. Any left we use. But not the jams, mayonnaise etc. I agree Mouse. It's a shame to see stuff go to waste. Hence my aim to find "mini" pots that get used up. I make them all part of their welcome pack, so it feels special.
Drax

Post by Drax »

There is a UK company called Brakes that sell mini jars of tomato ketchup, mustard etc.
If that is of any help.
Keep your powder dry.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hello Drax, yes thanks for the info. I too found Brakes and they look ideal - just what I need. Except that I don't need 80 mini jars of ketchup! I need about 8! Then perhaps maybe I should start a new business. 80 mini jars ketchup, 80 of mustard, 80 of mayonnaise. 80 pretty little boxes and some cellophane and see if I can sell them in sets of 3 to gite owners.

Doesn't look like anyone here would be a taker. :)
tchn

Post by tchn »

SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks tchn. That's just what I'm looking for. And in the sort of quantities I can manage - packs of 24. Unfortunately they don't deliver to France but will deliver to any of the small shippers that do bring stuff out for people in France.

They've got some quality mustard and brown sauce as well. I see they also do salted caramel spread. Delicious!

Now all I need is to track down someone who's doing the same thing with mayonnaise. I see there are lots of companies who do this in the US.
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

Out of Eden does small pack sizes of ketchup and brown sauce as well: https://www.outofeden.co.uk/category/sauce-and-ketchup Also jam, marmalade, Nutella and Marmite.
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...