What do you all do about rubbish?!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
loveka

What do you all do about rubbish?!

Post by loveka »

Our house is on council tax, as we are waiting for business rates to kick in.

We have a very long sloping drive. The rubbish is meant to be left out on the land on a Sunday night.

We don't feel we can ask guests to 'put the rubbish out' as it is quite an undertaking! Also, the rubbish would not be theirs in most cases they would only have arrived the previous day.

At the moment our cleaner puts the rubbish on the wall just outside our driveway- so not in the curtilage of the house. We have today had a complaint about the rubbish being there and a request to remove it.

I don't know what to do about this. We paid someone to take it away, but we can't do this every week!

I am wracking my brains for a solution, but other than pay someone to put it out, which would mean disturbing the guests every week to collect (from where though, it would have to be left in the garden!) I am at a loss.

The council don't provide, and won't empty, wheelie bins.

Any ideas please?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Why not use a commercial service as you'll have to do anyway when you're on business rates? They can maybe drive up your drive and supply wheelie bins.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

newtimber wrote:Why not use a commercial service as you'll have to do anyway when you're on business rates?
There’s a requirement to use a commercial service whether you’re on business rates or not. Regardless of business rates registration, an FHL is a business and the waste by definition is commercial, so it shouldn’t be handled as domestic waste. Local councils differ on the level to which they enforce this so you may well get away with it of course.
loveka

Post by loveka »

I had no idea of that. I will contact the commercial waste people.

The problem still remains that the rubbish would have to be left out though. Though at least for fewer days.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

loveka wrote:I had no idea of that. I will contact the commercial waste people.

The problem still remains that the rubbish would have to be left out though. Though at least for fewer days.
A commercial collector will provide wheelie bins and will collect from wherever the bins are located, no need for anyone to move them or put them out. You will need to provide approved bin bags for guests to use and put in the wheelie bins. H&A recycling are good in Cornwall. They can also provide a ‘mixed recycling’ wheelie bin which covers your recycling obligations too.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Jenster wrote:
A commercial collector will provide wheelie bins and will collect from wherever the bins are located, no need for anyone to move them or put them out.
Oh I wish....! We’re 400 yards off the road and the only contractor for our area will only collect from the roadside. I have one of those big bins (which is less likely to get pinched I hope!) and a fortnightly collection. The contractors don’t separate recycling either - it would all go for landfill. Of course, I could supply guests with separate bins for recyclables and take it to the recycling point in my car, but only if nobody’s looking... :roll:
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Get a waste carriers licence and take the rubbish to your local commercial recycler yourself. To weigh in costs roughly £1.20 inc vat for upto each full 10Kg of waste, so 13kg will cost £2.40 for example. They then give you a reciept and a waste transfer note to prove if required that you disposed of business waste correctly and legally.

This is what i do, a licence last three years, divided by three and add the cost of taking the rubbish away each year and having it weighed in at a commercial recycer cost me i think it was without looking and checking about £68 last year for the whole year (27 weeks bookings). It was less than £70 i think.

I take the waste away on Wednesdays and Saturdays and store it in bins at home until i have a vehicle full.

It's not a legal requirement to have some other operator to do it for you, you can legally do it yourself with the right paperwork.

The prerequisits are:

Waste Carriers Licence (you need this to carry business waste in a vehicle!) Stealth taxation as far as i'm concerned.
Hard hat and reflective tabard (you need these to enter the recyclers yard).... safety thing.

You must get a reciept and waste transfer notice from the recycler which are actually one and the same thing, well the same bit of paper that is.

You must keep them for i think it is 6yrs, might not be that long can't remember without looking it up.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

akwe-xavante wrote: I take the waste away on Wednesdays and Saturdays and store it in bins at home until i have a vehicle full.
Not something to do with the family car! Anyway, technically you need to complete a Waste Transfer Note for every load of waste that leaves your premises, so unless your business is all on one site, you're going to need a license to move it and store it at your home - at least that's my reading of the regs.
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

I followed advice from akwe-xavante :)

We seem to get about a bin liner full each week.
I take this (with my waste carriers licence) to our local recycling centre in Norfolk, which takes trade waste.
They charge £5 for a 75ltr bin liner.
Easy to drop off each week after taking the sheets to the laundry.
I now have waste tickets to prove to the council that I don`t put the FHL waste in our household bin (we are on site).

J & K
loveka

Post by loveka »

Sounds great, but we are not on site! If we were, we would simply take the rubbish out ourselves.

The problem is that there is no one to put the rubbish out as it means walking up a very long drive.

I think I am going to buy a wheelie bin.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

loveka wrote:Sounds great, but we are not on site! If we were, we would simply take the rubbish out ourselves.

The problem is that there is no one to put the rubbish out as it means walking up a very long drive.

I think I am going to buy a wheelie bin.
CAn you leave a wheelie bin at the road end of your drive? When we were in Spain last year we were asked to put binbags in a central wheelie bin at a convenient collection point as the house was down a very narrow windy road the lorry couldn’t get down. Not really a problem for us, we just dropped it off in the car whenever we went out somewhere, and perfectly reasonable to ask guests to do this as the only workable solution.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Technically you need to complete a Waste Transfer Note for every load of waste that leaves your premises, so unless your business is all on one site, you're going to need a license to move it and store it at your home - at least that's my reading of the regs.
This is true if i was picking up waste from for example a house where i was a "Carrier of trade waste" as an occupation such as a Skip Operator and Operators that remove trade / business waste.

Technically a tradesman, builder, joiner etc all need waste transfer notes to take away waste from a property that they have been working at , but they don’t. Technically a tradesman needs a transfer note from the customer when he takes away that faulty washing machine pump he replaced from the customers house.

If you have a FHL and an operator inc the council take away business / trade waste for you, you enter into a seasonal contract, you complete a piece of paper and sign it etc and so does the operator, this is a seasonal "Waste Transfer Note"... only one piece of paper is required for the season or the whole year each year. This must be renewed each new season or year.

If your taking away waste created by guests at a FHL, your own property you only need a "Waste Transfer Note" when it is deposited at the recyclers. Your taking away waste from your own property that has been passed onto you by the guests when they leave. It's your own waste now, you don't need a transfer note from your FHL or the guests. A cafe or restaurant don't need a transfer note from guests eating and drinking at their establishment before they leave, leaving glasses half full and food on plates. You can move waste from a property to another as long as you have a Waste Carriers Licence and you own both properties and the waste is stored correctly and securely. If the waste is taken to a property that you don’t own you need a transfer note. You only have to own both properties, they don't need to be commercial properties or business rated.

Technically i may be breaking the law but for a very different reason and a stupid one too..... I live in a different county to where I collect the waste from (My FHL). You’re not supposed to move waste outside the county where it is created. However I do return it to the county where it was created to dispose of it!!!!!

These next situations are ridicules too........
If you have a container clearly labelled "Commercial Waste" in a vehicle even if it's empty you must have a Waste Carriers Licence!!!!!!!!!! Even if you never carry trade waste or have a business.

If you have Commercial Waste in a vehicle THAT IS NOT in a container that's labelled "Commercial Waste" you don't need one!!!! You can put business waste / commercial waste into a vehicle and carry it around with you forever without a Carriers Licence as long as it's not labelled "Commercial Waste". In this situation you only need a Waste Carriers Licence when you take it out of the vehicle at a different location from where it was collected.

This one's even more stupid.... You can put business waste / commercial waste into a vehicle and carry it around with you forever without a Carriers Licence as long as it's not labelled "Commercial Waste". If you return it to the address where it was originally collected from even if it was months later or longer you don't need a Waste Carriers Licence or a Waste Transfer Note because it hasn't gone anywhere!!!!!! It's back where it started!!!!!

A vehicle in this situation is defined as a motorised vehicle, this means that a “Waste Carriers Licence” is not required moving business waste as a pedestrian, on a cart pulled by a horse, in a wheel barrow or on a bicycle. I’m sure there are others too. You do need a transfer note though.
Kilm

Post by Kilm »

As stated, if it's a UK property and a legitimate business, the waste is commercial and must be handled commercially.

HOWEVER.

You can contact the council and remain with them, but you're marked as business rather than domestic, and your rates go up.

The downside to this is, you generally get a better service from a private contractor who may be more willing / understanding about the need for them to go up your drive and collect the bins.

Where I am in the Highlands, I don't need to put the waste out. A friendly chat with the commercial waste firm at the very beginning made them more than happy to go down the drive, open a gate and go round the corner to get the bins.

I make sure I leave the odd few bottles of quality local beer for them too from time to time. :)
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

As stated, if it's a UK property and a legitimate business, the waste is commercial and must be handled commercially.
Correct of course and i know it's not for everybody i can understand that but you can handle your business waste commercially yourself.

You DO NOT need to get someone to do it for you just because it's business waste.

A Waste Carriers Licence gives you the legal right to move commercial waste in a vehicle.

Getting a Waste Transfer Note from a commercial waste recycler fulfills your legal obligation as far as disposing (Transfering) of the waste to company that processes the waste.

All your doing is taking the waste to the company that would of charged you hundreds of pounds to collect it from you at a fraction of the cost.

Same for the laundry, the laundry company charge extra to pick up and drop off your laundry, to get around this we drop off the laundry at the laundrette instead, saving a small fortune.

I can and do understand that some do not want to do these things or can't for a variety of reasons but you can save yourself a lot of hassle and money if you do it yourself.
Jeebers

Post by Jeebers »

I'm not on site either so I use Biffa and when I called up the guy from the local office arranged to come out to have a look and see where the bins should go. He offered to get dark green wheelie bins instead of their usual bright red ones to look better next to our cottage. We have one for recycling and one for main rubbish, collections alternate every week. I've put stickers on the bins and on the fridge and in the info pack (belt and braces) stating what can and can't go in the recycling and we provide the specific black bin bags for the main rubbish. Guests have to take it all up the steps to put in the wheelie bins. Bottles can't go in the recycling so we provide boxes and ask guests to take their bottles to the nearest bottle bank. On the whole it works fine and haven't had Biffa refuse any recycling due to it containing wrong items.

I found the guy from the local office was very happy to discuss where the bins should go to suit everyone. But if your local commercial waste contractor won't go up your drive I'm sure guests wouldn't mind taking their rubbish/recycling down to the wheelie bins at the end of your drive.