Getting a carte de sejour in the Dordogne

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Circé

Post by Circé »

Jensen wrote: Take it you weren't here in 1992 ? When they did have the staff at the prefectures and normaly you did'nt need a cds but France was the only country in Europe that kept it on for years !

Well I was and it was hell so god knows what it will be like now !
Yep, got our first CdS in 1991, even had to have a medical incl a chest x-ray. I wouldn't say it was hell, just part of learning to live as a foreigner in another country.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Circé wrote:
Jensen wrote: Take it you weren't here in 1992 ? When they did have the staff at the prefectures and normaly you did'nt need a cds but France was the only country in Europe that kept it on for years !

Well I was and it was hell so god knows what it will be like now !
Yep, got our first CdS in 1991, even had to have a medical incl a chest x-ray. I wouldn't say it was hell, just part of learning to live as a foreigner in another country.
Lucky you ! If it was'nt hell it was either because you already had employment here in France or you had other income of at least 4000 Francs a month.

PS: You also got a visit from the local Gendarmerie !
Circé

Post by Circé »

I can't remember the finance stuff but yes, the flics came round and we had a long discussion about our collection of LPs. And about our classic cars.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I seem to remember we had to have an AIDS/HIV test as well - part of the medical.

We did not, though, have to provide translations of our birth and marriage certificates even though our friends did at the same time, same Prefecture, same 'social' situation. It was always a bit of a lottery what the authorities would ask for!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

casasantoestevo wrote: There is a group named (RIFT) Remain in France Together. Maybe worth looking them up on line or on FB
There is indeed ... and it's run by a Lay my Hatter ... me! :D No longer a very active one, I admit, but I still manage to pop in occasionally! Anyway, RIFT has been very involved in the negotiations and will be meeting with the French government over the next months to help put into place whatever registration system comes next. All French Hatters would be very welcome to join the group.

https://www.remaininfrance.org/