End of season - for good!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Tournesol

End of season - for good!

Post by Tournesol »

Well, nearly end of season. This year that will be the end of September and also our last season as we are moving out of this rental after that into a small, temporary rental till we (hopefully) buy a little place of our own next year.

My OH said he couldn't face another winter in this house. It was built as a summer residence, no double glazing, no roof insulation and no woodburner till we had it all put in, including, of course getting the chimney lined.
In winter we just close off one end of the house, put blankets over the doors and bubble wrap on the windows, keep the log burner going 24/7, put on our woollies, including gloves and scarves!

OH was ill for the first 6 weeks of this year, then developed something called algodystrophy in one hand/arm, meaning he is basically partly disabled so most of this year I have had to do ALL the physical work myself. Actually been glad of the heatwave/lack of rain as the garden didn't need so much attention. Where we had our beautiful sunflowers last year we put potatoes in instead as it's the only plantable bit of ground!

It has been an interesting experience and we'e mostly had lovely guests who wrote nice reviews.

Was a bit miffed about one who we let use our "family room" with ensuite (usually 65 euros) as it was free instead of the double room without ensuite, for which he was charged 40 euros.
We felt sorry for him as his car hire had fallen through and he'd had to spend 120 euros on a taxi from the airport, so we also gave him free evening meals.
The place he was visiting was a few hundred yards from our house yet we only got 7.5. for location in the B.com review!

Another family who managed to use virtually all the towels even though we didn't hear the shower running either before they went to bed or in the morning and left a urine-soaked bed (luckily double protected!) without telling us. Thanks!

Then the lovely couple with smiley baby who stayed for a week and went out all day, left the room spotless and a glowing review, proper thanks!

I would do it again but OH definitely wouldn't. Didn't like people sharing our house, although he likes the idea of a gite or a yurt in the garden...

Let's just hope Brexshit doesn't screw it all up for us now!

So glad I found this site with so much useful information and I'm sure I'll still pop in now and again to see how you are all doing and read some of your hilarious anecdotes about your guests.
What you've never had you never miss!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Good grief you certainly seem to have gone through it tournesol. I wish you the best of luck for the future. It must be nice to have reached the end of one chapter, ready to start another. How exciting!

We're desperately hoping this too will be our last summer as we put our place up for sale in Spring....though in the market here places can take a while to sell so we will see. Que sera sera.
It's a balancing act as we couldn't have summer viewings with back to back bookings so I won't take any now until end January if we have no interest. I'm dreading having to do that as we usually are well booked by xmas. That will be a whole new experience for me!

Hope you have a much easier time in your future abode.

Mousie
x
farley

Post by farley »

Do hope the coming year brings you and your hubby good health and good fortune.
I’m sure everyone here will identify with your mix of guests. Such a shame when our genuine efforts to be kind go unappreciated 🙁
I too hope Brexit dosnt mess up our plans!
Best wishes for your move
Xx