Would love to speak to Airbnb hosts about their experiences.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Also, not everyone checks the forum every day. You could try a search for ABNB and send a private message to anyone who uses it and see if you get a response.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Ed, I am both a host and guest on ABB. Busy this weekend but will get back to you with comments next week with pleasure.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
COYS

Post by COYS »

Never used them as owner or punter & no idea if the following is of any use, but our nearest neighbour has had a patchy couple of seasons so decided ABB was her answer. She bombed her prices, scrapped her one week minimum, spent not a cent in pre-season & duly watched her calendar populate. I'd hazard a guess that the increased service/cleaning/utility costs will have taken a pretty large bite out of (any?) extra revenue & as an absentee owner she will likely be unaware or oblivious to the fact that an abnormally high percentage of her ‘guests’ this season have been an absolute pain in the butt on a small semi residential neighbourhood. A huge increase in noise disturbance, overcrowding, parking & litter (it's 50m to the nearest bin!) have been a bone of contention all year for a few of the full time residents, most of whom are looking for any excuse to get rental licenses revoked. Weekenders (& no, they aren't all youngsters) are by far the worst offenders for all of the above - arrive, party, leave. Having experienced both sides I understand (though not necessarily agree) with the argument but without doubt there is noticeable discord in the local community with much focus on the ABB rental model. Renters love 'em, seeming to think it is their cheapest option & 'hosts' tolerate it as long as they get beds filled, which I suppose is the point. Not sure most outside of those groups, especially seasonal, low pay workers oversharing sparsely available rooms would rate them too highly though & I'd tend to agree but that is a much bigger issue that is only going to get worse in the current 'become a host, list for free' climate.
Personally, we have just 4 more rental days left, & this Friday simply cannot come soon enough. I'm not normally known for curbing my opinion, nor afraid of voicing it. However, as any future employ or new business venture will likely be influenced or determined by the local rental sector, I'm sure MrsC would prefer I zip it & sit myself firmly on the fence.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

i'm afraid I'm another who has never used them either as a host or a guest.

I have found B&Bs on there and then done a bit of googling to find the owners own website though.

I once almost registered with them but then they required me to upload a copy of my passport. That wasn't going to happen.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Have you tried the Airbnb hosts Facebook group? You might get more luck there.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Hi Ed, I sent you a pm about replying to your questions, which I am happy to do. Did you receive my message?
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

1. Please give an indication of your age, location and profession (only if you’re comfortable doing so, obviously!)

59, Fife, Scotland, rural

2. How do you use Airbnb? Host and/or guest? How often? What types of property to you most regularly host / guest.

Host, one two bedroom cottage with mobility features.

3. Why do use Airbnb (Why are you motivated to use the online marketplace / hospitality service and why Airbnb in particular?

ABB very good for one night stays. We use them selectively if we know we can respond to mid-week changeovers. We pitch prices competitively for slow parts of the year but higher than local competition for our busy times (which is catered for by our own website and booking engine (Supercontrol).

4. Please explain the events around the last time something went wrong on Airbnb as a host / guest

We have only hosted a dozen time since joining 12 months ago. No real problems, nor should there be if you are diligent filling out the listing verbage. ABB pay when they say they will.

5. Why do you think Airbnb is as successful as it is?
Simple proposition and a "following" who trust the ethos and brand.

6. How do you feel about the ratings system on Airbnb

Like all the others - bollocks- I'm really tired of everybody in the world boasting 5 stars.

7. Is there anything about Airbnb which frustrates / irritates you, or that could be done better?

Their pricing model is too basic. I like to taper day prices so that the more days booked, the bigger the discount. Their exhortations to lower the price becomes tedious.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

I don't think Ed is listening any more. I prepared something similar but he didn't respond to my pm.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Hi Ed
If you are still there:
1. Please give an indication of your age, location and profession (only if you’re comfortable doing so, obviously!)
West Sussex. Retired

2. How do you use Airbnb? Host and/or guest? How often? What types of property to you most regularly host / guest.
Once as guest
Since 2013 as host ... 9 bookings in past 12 months . very few previously

3. Why do use Airbnb (Why are you motivated to use the online marketplace / hospitality service and why Airbnb in particular?
No chance of property bookings without use of online marketplace. Joined AirBnb in 2013 when I started advertising independently along with other listing sites. Now they are far more established so would be silly not to list with them.

4. Please explain the events around the last time something went wrong on Airbnb as a host / guest
One guest last year who left rubbish & recycling piled up in cottage, upsetting my housekeeper (& me)
As guest i arrived to find cottage had not been cleaned and bed linen / towels had not been changed!

5. Why do you think Airbnb is as successful as it is?
Ease of booking, has become well known, seen as cheaper option than hotel.

6. How do you feel about the ratings system on Airbnb
Unfortunate, as my only bad rating (ever on any site) was from my very first AirBnb guest. They also had more people staying than the maximum allowed!
I don't think they should rate for value..

7. Is there anything about Airbnb which frustrates / irritates you, or that could be done better?
My listing gets very limited exposure .. compared to others locally.. as I don't get that many bookings (60% come directly .. via my website including repeats)
They have driven local prices down for short breaks.
Good for guests but not for me