French SIM card

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
ronsat

French SIM card

Post by ronsat »

We spend 5 weeks at our place in Languedoc twice each year. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a pay-as-you-go SIM card. My phone is setup for 2 SIM cards. Really only need need data as I can use Whatsapp and Skype to send and receive calls. (We do have Orange's Livebox service in the house, which we use for most calls)
We are Canadians who love spending time in Languedoc.
http://www.languedocvacationhome.ca
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I'm not familiar with PAYG tariffs, but it might be worth checking a comparison site like

https://www.lefrenchmobile.com/rates/
or
www.touslesforfaits.fr
or
https://www.france-hotel-guide.com/en/b ... solutions/

Otherwise some of the cheaper forfaits are available from LeClerc and Free.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Our daughter and I are both on Free at 2 Euros a month.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

GillianF wrote:Our daughter and I are both on Free at 2 Euros a month.
+1 for Free however (and it is a big however) there is not a lot of data included! So probably no good.

Any good comparison site will give a data only SIM which may not even necessarily be French! With the new European laws on roaming you may find a better option which is not French based.

VT
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

vacancesthezan wrote:
GillianF wrote:Our daughter and I are both on Free at 2 Euros a month.
+1 for Free however (and it is a big however) there is not a lot of data included! So probably no good.

Any good comparison site will give a data only SIM which may not even necessarily be French! With the new European laws on roaming you may find a better option which is not French based.

VT
How much is 'not a lot of data' out of interest? I'm looking to change from my rather useless Orange contract and did wonder about Free. At the moment, I have a 1gb per month allowance with Orange.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ecosse wrote: How much is 'not a lot of data' out of interest? I'm looking to change from my rather useless Orange contract and did wonder about Free. At the moment, I have a 1gb per month allowance with Orange.
Even less, for €2 per month it's 50 MB! There are other tariffs however.
I've been with them for a couple of years, and it's OK for me because I never use my phone, however I find signal strength is patchy and, whatever they promise, it doesn't work outside France. So I'm changing, moving to Leclerc - a bit pricier, but more versatile and proabably a better signal chez moi, where Free is very hit and miss.
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Moliere wrote:
Ecosse wrote: How much is 'not a lot of data' out of interest? I'm looking to change from my rather useless Orange contract and did wonder about Free. At the moment, I have a 1gb per month allowance with Orange.
I've been with them for a couple of years, and it's OK for me because I never use my phone, however I find signal strength is patchy and, whatever they promise, it doesn't work outside France. So I'm changing, moving to Leclerc - a bit pricier, but more versatile and proabably a better signal chez moi, where Free is very hit and miss.
Thanks - useful info... I find 1gb isn't quite enough when I have to have data on to check for reservations when away from the house, so I'll look into Leclerc.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Moliere wrote:
Originally Free only used the one company for the lines. Now you have a choice of SFR or Orange for the signal (or they did last time we looked). We have 3 French SIMS, each from a different company to make sure we can cover most of the area where all the signals can be patchy at times.

Just not great if you really only want data!

VT