Re-Registering a Car

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Casscat

Re-Registering a Car

Post by Casscat »

Just a quickie. If I moved to France and brought my Spanish car with me how long would I have before it had to be re-registered on French plates and roughly how much does the process cost?
Circé

Post by Circé »

Cost depends on the type and age of your car, and where in France you are registering it.
In theory it doesn't take long, in practice.....
It's all done on line now through ANTS. A good starting place for info is the govt site at
https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... oits/F1050
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

By law it has to be re-registered within three months. A remarkably large number of people seem to ignore this. The difficulty comes with having valid insurance and will your insurer accept French Controle Technique as a certificate of roadworthiness.
It doesn't take long and cost varies with the horsepower of the car, for illustration, my BMW 325 (185 bhp) cost about 240 Euros.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Sigrun

Post by Sigrun »

Most people I know, ask for help from a "garagiste" because the online procedure is tricky. You need a France Connect identification. In theory there are 3 possibilities to get one. In practice it seems to be less easy. A friend tried with his social security number, answer of the system: "no valid number" :cry: Finally he found a professional to help him. My son went at once to his usual garagiste, cost differ from 15 to 30 E.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We've just sold a couple of vehicles. Re-registering used to be done at the Prefecture with a fistful of paperwork but it now has to be done on line.

Most people seem to be now opting to get their garagiste to do it for them.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

GillianF wrote:We've just sold a couple of vehicles. Re-registering used to be done at the Prefecture with a fistful of paperwork but it now has to be done on line.

Most people seem to be now opting to get their garagiste to do it for them.
I highly recomend that you get a garage to do it ! It might cost you but will save you a considerable part of your life and hassle.

We have just sold a car for a relative and did it our selfs through the ANTS site and it crashed half way through . New owner been unable to get a new carte a gris and we can't connect to the ANTS site to give him the sales code he needs . He is now getting a garage to try and sort it out !! Quelle Bordel !
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Exactly! My husband started to do it on line thinking "how hard can it be?". The site was very confusing, it took ages to register and then it said that it could take at least 15 minutes. It took me five minutes to fill in the paperwork and hand it over to the new owner who was getting his garagiste to do it for him.

Crazy!!