Welcoming dogs: any tips please?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
HesterHare

Welcoming dogs: any tips please?

Post by HesterHare »

Hello
My Windermere house has been on the rental market since mid-July with virtually back-to-back bookings until early November which I'm thrilled about. We allow pets and this has clearly proved popular as 16 out of our 22 bookings have included at least one dog. We back onto a park so that's an attraction.
As a cat person (shh, keeping the dog focus quiet from Felix and Vladimir), I'm not really clued up on dogs and would love to hear how others have welcomed dogs and their owners.
I've bought a book of dog friendly pub walks and am gathering some local information on dog friendly places. But I haven't got any other dog items. I don't want to spend too much extra money on the dogs (I pay the cleaner an extra £10 per dog) and I'm not onsite but the cleaner could put out dog biscuits. I'm thinking I'd rather not supply beds and towels as that's extra cleaning. What about toys?
Thank you so much for sharing your tips :-)
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I don’t think you can supply toys as the dogs will “claim” them and you costs will go up.

It is a good idea to have some spare dog bowls in case they are forgotten (stainless steel, or something that will go in the dishwasher.)

Also, the Out of Eden boot tray is fab for putting dog bowls in, to prevent water being spilt onto flooring / carpet or food debris being spread.

Some past their best towels that can become dog towels are handy, again in case someone forgets their own - you don’t want long haired wet dogs shaking in your rooms.

A few dog treats such as gravy bones would be a nice touch in your welcome tray, and won’t break the bank.

Do have a supply of poo bags available, although owners usually bring their own, so yours don’t get used up too quickly, but if you provide them, there is no excuse for any nasty “surprises” in your grounds.

Usually dog owners are very well organised and come well prepared.
HesterHare

Post by HesterHare »

Thanks Zebedee. Good point about the toys.
Have just ordered a box of 900 poo bags ;-)
Will get some treats in too.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

900 poo bags? :shock:

I supply dog bowls and nothing else really, if I get myself organised I'll put a pigs ear or tripe sticks in a bag and leave it with the date or dog's name on for the cleaners to distribute but I'm not sure they ever do as I don't get any feedback. :roll: My dog policy asks that they bring fleeces, towels, rugs or whatever they'd use at home. You pay your cleaner an extra £10, do you charge an extra £10 per dog? That's what I do.

Your book of local dog walks is a great idea!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
HesterHare

Post by HesterHare »

Hi Kathy
I'm with Cumbrian Cottages and they require owners to pay cleaners £10 per dog. We generally take maximum of two dogs. We have been charging for dogs. The set fee is £20 per dog, so that is effectively split between us and the cleaner. However I'm now not going to charge for dogs, for two reasons. One is that one of the search criteria that is offered to potential guests searching on their website (among things like private parking, wifi etc) is a box to select 'pets go free'. I want to fit as many of these criteria as possible to maximise bookings. I can always put up the rent by a tenner to cover this.
They also started a 'More than Dog Friendly' collection of cottages and among the criteria for fitting in this is no charges for dogs.
It's all 'suck it and see' at this stage ;-)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Yep definitely worth a try!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

I leave a packet of 'posh' dog treats with the welcome pack, leave a filled water bowl in the kitchen and there are biodegradable poo bags and two dog-drying towels in the hall cupboard.

I'm wondering whether or not to sign up for the More Than Dog Friendly collection. We meet all the criteria, but we've got a lot of sheep around the cottage and from September to April all the ewe hoggs wander loose around the village, past the garden, so anyone with a dog reactive to livestock probably wouldn't feel comfortable letting their dog out in the garden off-lead. We're due our annual visit in a couple of months, I'll see what my area rep thinks.
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...
Circé

Post by Circé »

Bit of a different situation here in SW France, some of my owners (I'm a manager) take dogs and others do not. I provide info on where the local vet is, and instructions appropriate to each house (no dogs in pool, please pick up the poo in the garden, where to walk off lead etc). I always leave a couple of dog bix/chews with the notes. If in contact with the guests in advance I ask if they need dog towels left for them. Dog owners expect to bring their own dog beds and bowls. None of my owners charge extra for dogs, but they do clearly say in their contracts about no dogs on furniture and that any extra cleaning will be charged from the damages deposit.
I see more mess from young children and teenagers than I do from dogs, and I have been managing properties for 25+ years.
Where we go on hols to a Gite de France property in the south of France (Herault) there is nothing left for the mutts in terms of rules, info or treats and no charge is made for them at all.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I leave dog bowls and throws and a supply of poo bags under the sink.

I also have a list of dog friendly places to eat - that always proves popular with my guests.