Books about moving to and living in France

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Le roi de Prusse

Books about moving to and living in France

Post by Le roi de Prusse »

In the last couple of months I've read quite a few (>25) personal accounts by people who have moved to France... you can't do too much research! However I'm rapidly running out and am looking for suggestions. If you have a favourite, or have written your own account and published it, please point me in the right direction.

If you want to see the list of what I've read so far you can see it here https://leroideprusse.com/2018/08/05/reading-list/

Thanks.
Looking forward to being open for business in 2021...
www.leroideprusse.com
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Well there's loads around, personally I enjoyed Helena Frith-Powell's "More France please, we're British". But it may be a bit Languedoc-focussed for your needs.

For a serious book on the last two centuries of French history, to rival J J Norwich, I'd point you to "The Discovery of France" by Graham Robb.

You have time on your side probably.
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

A year in the Merde and Toujour la merde are good !

After reading all those books I would love to know their and your over all opinion ??
Le roi de Prusse

Thanks Moliere. I hadn't come across "More France Please" and will look out for Graham Robb's book. The J J Norwich book was OK but I found myself getting my French kings and emperors muddled up.
www.leroideprusse.com
Le roi de Prusse

Jensen wrote:After reading all those books I would love to know their and your over all opinion ??
Thanks for the suggestions.

If I had to sum up what I've gleaned from my reading to date I would say... the more you put in the better life becomes; get to know and embrace your neighbours; budget properly for any work and then double it; the weather is better than in Yorkshire; the British drink more than the French (avoid the British :lol:); don't be in a rush for anything; and if you don't like the French and their way of doing things don't complain, go elsewhere or stay at home!
www.leroideprusse.com
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I, and many others, contributed to a couple of books more than 20 years ago. I've no idea if they are still in print.

The books were the pooled stories/experiences of a cross-section of Brits living/working here in France.

My advice, aside from what you list, would be to learn the language and use every bit you know at every opportunity and to fix a permanent, friendly smile on your face. A smile goes a long way and people forgive a lot if you're cheerful!!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

+ 1 Gillian
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Le roi de Prusse wrote:
Jensen wrote:After reading all those books I would love to know their and your over all opinion ??
Thanks for the suggestions.

If I had to sum up what I've gleaned from my reading to date I would say... the more you put in the better life becomes; get to know and embrace your neighbours; budget properly for any work and then double it; the weather is better than in Yorkshire; the British drink more than the French (avoid the British :lol:); don't be in a rush for anything; and if you don't like the French and their way of doing things don't complain, go elsewhere or stay at home!

The best advice I can give you is to choose your location very carefully. If the property is cheap it is for a reason, usually because it will be in the middle of no where with high unemployment where the French don't want to live or buy ! Only the Brits buy these properties because all they can see with their "rose colored glasses" is a massive house,chateau,watermill what ever, with acres of land that would be worth millions back in the UK . Just maintaining land alone cost's a fortune in ride on mowers,chainsaws,strimmers,petrol,labor & repairs etc never mind the house repairs/renovations etc .. The same cheap location won't bring you many bookings if you want to rent it out as wonderful as it might be once you have put all your money into the renovations etc people just won't be looking for that area for a holiday .

I have heard of people doing B&B next to the Lascaux caves in the Dordogne being full all year round where as we struggle to get a single booking in between September and May for our beautiful fully renovated watermill in the Deux Sevres .

France can be a very lonely place in winter, the French are very family orientated so it doesn't matter how well you know your neighbours or get on with them they will be tied up with their family a lot of the time.

I am also from North Yorkshire and have said that we will never go back again for Christmas after getting rained on the last 2 times 24/7 for 2 weeks and ask myself how do you cope ? It also rained here last winter non stop into spring and was one of the most depressing winters I can remember in the last 30 years The French tend to close their shutters in winter when the weather goes pear shaped and you don't see them again until spring, then every thing goes mad with winter birthdays, weddings,anniversarys etc to celebrate every weekend !!It's all well in rural France sat round a swimming pool in July sipping rose but when you have negative temperatures and sideways rain for weeks on end in winter with no cosy pubs or cafes to hang out in,no clubs,restaurants, theatres,cinemas etc Those months can be very long .

Choose your area location very carefully ! Then if you have a change of mind at least you might be able to sell again.

Bon chances and please feel free if you want any further info ;-)
Le roi de Prusse

GillianF wrote: My advice, aside from what you list, would be to learn the language and use every bit you know at every opportunity and to fix a permanent, friendly smile on your face.
Thanks Gillian. Rest assured Michel Thomas is never out of my ears and DuoLingo never off my phone or laptop. :lol:
www.leroideprusse.com
Happy Days

Post by Happy Days »

+ 1
Totally agree with every word Jensen has written.
Le roi de Prusse

Jensen wrote:The best advice I can give you is to choose your location very carefully.

France can be a very lonely place in winter, the French are very family orientated so it doesn't matter how well you know your neighbours or get on with them they will be tied up with their family a lot of the time.

I am also from North Yorkshire and have said that we will never go back again for Christmas after getting rained on the last 2 times 24/7 for 2 weeks and ask myself how do you cope ?

Choose your area location very carefully ! Then if you have a change of mind at least you might be able to sell again.

Thanks Jensen. One of the advantages of taking our time is the chance to research locations, work out exactly what we can afford and what we are prepared to take on. Poitou-Charente is still our favoured region and we'll be exploring a bit more in late January next year to get a feel for winter there. Do you have any vacancies around 29th Jan?

I grew up in North Yorkshire, Malton and York, and so am used to damp winters. Fortunately we're very happy hibernating during the worst months so, as long as we've got plenty of wood for the fire, I think we'll be ok. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll have many more questions in future. :wink:
www.leroideprusse.com
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Le roi de Prusse wrote:
Jensen wrote:The best advice I can give you is to choose your location very carefully.

I am also from North Yorkshire and have said that we will never go back again for Christmas after getting rained on the last 2 times 24/7 for 2 weeks and ask myself how do you cope ?

Thanks Jensen. One of the advantages of taking our time is the chance to research locations, work out exactly what we can afford and what we are prepared to take on. Poitou-Charente is still our favoured region and we'll be exploring a bit more in late January next year to get a feel for winter there. Do you have any vacancies around 29th Jan?

I grew up in North Yorkshire, Malton and York, and so am used to damp winters. Fortunately we're very happy hibernating during the worst months so, as long as we've got plenty of wood for the fire, I think we'll be ok. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll have many more questions in future. :wink:
Your welcome !

I have spent 25 years of my life renovating & building a rental business in a watermill that working at full time won't provide for me and my family (my wife also has a full time paid job) because it's in the wrong place and secondly because competition is now so fierce !

Please don't think that any negative comments you might get are to try and put you off. We all try and justify a means to live that dream but it all to often ends in tears !

France is a beautiful place to live, today the sun is still shining and I'm outside in the garden in shorts and t-shirt but it can also be very cruel to us Brits ! I'm currently looking for work and after having practically done everything in my life none of this is taken into consideration at the local job centre because I don't have written proof of qualifications to do it !

Do you know that there is a qualification for cleaners in France now ?

Yes I can practically guarantee that we will still have availability for January ! loll :-)

Wish you all the best and good luck ;-)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I know that this is the France thread....but it's interesting that you've mentioned Yorkshire as we're hoping to move there (or Lancashire) from Ibiza :D
After 20+ years we want a different life....and sunshine is way overated :lol:

Mousie
x
Le roi de Prusse

Mouse wrote:I know that this is the France thread....but it's interesting that you've mentioned Yorkshire as we're hoping to move there (or Lancashire) from Ibiza :D

Mousie
x
Can I interest you in 300 year old, five bedroom semi-rural property between Saltaire and Baildon in 'sunny' West Yorkshire, just 15 minutes by train from Leeds? :wink: There's a photo on the blog...
www.leroideprusse.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Le roi de Prusse wrote:
Mouse wrote:I know that this is the France thread....but it's interesting that you've mentioned Yorkshire as we're hoping to move there (or Lancashire) from Ibiza :D

Mousie
x
Can I interest you in 300 year old, five bedroom semi-rural property between Saltaire and Baildon in 'sunny' West Yorkshire, just 15 minutes by train from Leeds? :wink: There's a photo on the blog...
:D possibly! Got to sell first :o

Mousie
x