No washing machine: a deal breaker?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.

What would you prefer?

Washing machine
43%
Dishwasher
58%

Total votes: 40

kimbee100

No washing machine: a deal breaker?

Post by kimbee100 »

We have just bought our first holiday flat in the Lake District. It has a teeny tiny kitchen and we are trying to fit in a washing machine but it's not going to be easy.

So my question is: would having no washing machine be a dealbreaker for you? It's only a 2 sleeper (1 bed) but in the a big place for walking (and rain!). There are a couple of laundrettes a short walk away.

Would a dishwasher be prererable? Or would you be happy with neither?

Thanks in advance! Sorry if this one has been asked before, but I couldn't find it!
vacancesthezan

Re: No washing machine: a deal breaker?

Post by vacancesthezan »

kimbee100 wrote:We have just bought our first holiday flat in the Lake District. It has a teeny tiny kitchen and we are trying to fit in a washing machine but it's not going to be easy.

So my question is: would having no washing machine be a dealbreaker for you? It's only a 2 sleeper (1 bed) but in the a big place for walking (and rain!). There are a couple of laundrettes a short walk away.

Would a dishwasher be preferable? Or would you be happy with neither?

Thanks in advance! Sorry if this one has been asked before, but I couldn't find it!
In France you can get a small size washing machine and the same for a dishwasher

One dishwasher option sits on top of the worktop Another option has the cooker and dishwasher in the same unit.

Could a washing machine be placed somewhere else that the kitchen?

For a shot stay you probably dont need a washing machine but for a week....

Do you have somewhere to dry clothes? Probably more important than a washing machine in the lake district.

VT
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We deal with mostly weekly bookings and don't advertise a washing machine. Although we do tell guests we will do a service wash when they arrive.
It has only ever been a problem once.

In the main around 50% ask for stuff to be washed....but it is really abused. We see ridiculous stuff being washed that just isn't needed....and this is on top of the fact that they have to ask us to do it, so that does temper their requests. It is rarely a full load.

I imagine you'd be doing mainly short breaks in the Lakes? So I wouldn't think it would be a issue. Who really needs to wash stuff on a 3 days break?

Mousie
x
On the other hand if you attract walkers then somewhere to dry clothes would be very useful.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

As you're a 2 bed, I'd say go with the dishwasher (perhaps even a slimline if space is at a real premium) over a washing machine.

Families need a washing machine, but for couples... do they really need to wash anything during even a week long holiday?

BC (Before Children) the last thing I wanted to so on a relaxing escape away was something as mundane as washing. AD (After Delivery) sadly it's a necessity :lol:
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

I couldn't put it better than Ecosse.

Definitely dishwasher. If you were in a hotel you wouldn't have a washing machine.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

If I could only have one then I'd want a dishwasher.
kimbee100

Post by kimbee100 »

Thanks all! I really appreciate all your feedback! It seems the overriding consensus here is a dishwasher. Though when I asked the same question on Facrbook, the answer was a washing machine :lol:

So I guess I will just have to see if I can fit both in my kitchen plan (because there's really no space to put them anyhwere esle, unless I put a washing macine in the bedroom).

For anyone with a similar dilemma, I did find a compact dishwasher that fits into a pretty small drawer type space that seems quite handy.
kimbee100

Post by kimbee100 »

vacancesthezan, that's interesting about the washer-oven combo! I've done a quick search, though, and it doesn't look as though it's an option here in the UK :(
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

kimbee100 wrote:vacancesthezan, that's interesting about the washer-oven combo! I've done a quick search, though, and it doesn't look as though it's an option here in the UK :(
I have just googled "cooker dishwasher combo" and come with a Candy
http://www.candy-domestic.co.uk/en_GB/a ... -9503-x-uk

Not sure you can get one without the hob (ie fitted within a kitchen unit).

VT
vacancesthezan

Re: No washing machine: a deal breaker?

Post by vacancesthezan »

kimbee100 wrote:We have just bought our first holiday flat in the Lake District. It has a teeny tiny kitchen and we are trying to fit in a washing machine but it's not going to be easy.

Would a dishwasher be prererable? Or would you be happy with neither?

In truth I would rather have both but no oven. Just a combination microwave would do me!!

We have a studio apartment in our own home just for summer use (so not quite the same weather conditions). We have neither (although a central washing machine). We dont even have a cooker - just a 2 ring hob and a combination microwave (micro, grill ,oven).

Even for a short stay I may need to wash clothes that had got dirty and wet during the day (not that it ever rains in the lakes!).

VT
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

I asked this question last year. In the end we kept the washing machine and put in a slimline dishwasher. Both get used on a regular basis.

viewtopic.php?t=27989&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

My vote would be very much for a washing machine(and ideally a washer/ tumble-dryer combo) rather than a dishwasher, particularly for the Lake District. I know it might seem that you shouldn't need to wash clothes on a short break but soakings and muddy walks can change that quite quickly!
My thinking is, primarily, that there are less options for a 'plan B' on muddy/ wet clothes than there are for dirty dishes! I know there are launderettes in the area but I am assuming there are limited opening times. A few dirty dishes (particularly as we are talking a couple of people) can be very easily hand washed, but washing/ spinning/ drying clothes can be an altogether more difficult affair without the appropriate facilities.
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

We have a small kitchen and chose a washer/dryer and a dishwasher forgoing an oven. We got a combi microwave instead plus a gas hob. I use the dishwasher because it is there but really it was a waste of space. The washer/dryer would be better as a washer and separate dryer as the full cycle takes so long and most of our clothes can be put on a short cycle. Which is what I do and then dry it either outside or in the dryer on a short programme. I don't miss the oven I can do almost the same cooking and baking in the microwave. As most people have only stayed for a week and the flat is in Nice they haven't done much cooking.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

My thoughts are that we can wash our dishes manually ourselves, no hardship really. A new and strange experience i'm sure for some people!!

But it's a lot harder if it's possible at all to wash clothes effectively by hand in the sink.

I had to make this choice myself as i couldn't get both in, i could only have one or the other. I had already decided that a washing machine was the best option basing my decision on the above theory and the agent for cottages.com who i initially listed with said if you can only have one or the other then a washing machine wins every time.

A number of years in and nobodies complained about not having a dish washer. However i have had my moments when i have found food still on the crockery, pots and plates in the drawers and cupboards.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We had the same dilemma and went for a washer drier. At the time we had 2 pre-school kids and so we needed the washing machine. Now the kids are teenagers we'd rather have a dishwasher although we still use the washer regularly while we're at the cottage. If you're local then you can wash things at home so I'd say a slimline dishwasher would be more use. Especially as your place is for couples so no kids.

In our other cottage the washing machine is in a lean-to at the back of the house - do you have any outdoor space that you could use?
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth