Bed Linen- lost the will to live !

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
AnnieC

Bed Linen- lost the will to live !

Post by AnnieC »

Bed Linen choices – lost the will to live!

So what do you choose- had the idea that 100% cotton bedding would be my ideal BUT also know that it is much more difficult to iron, but can be washed at a higher temperature to remove stains etc.

I was not intending to do the laundering myself but us the local laundrette who do this or the sheet service at the local supermarket. I am concerned though that the returned sheets will not be ‘up to standard’ if they are 100% cotton when ironed!

Spoken to a couple of suppliers , one suggested 100% PERCALE cotton and has sent a sample , but the ironing of the sample was still pretty demanding even from damp with a steam iron. The second one suggested cotton percale and polyester 50/50 mix, ( no sample to try out yet!) – this wouldn’t be my choice (might be convinced on a good recommended 80/20 mix though!)

I have older Dunelm ‘Hotel’ sheets that are 100% Egyptian Cotton at home that are lovely and are OK to iron but can’t guarantee that their newer range will be as good!

So what do you all recommend and use and who supplies- I have a zip and linked bed and a superking and the sizes of duvet covers seem to vary!

Also I know that putting on a waterproof mattress protector makes sense - then add another mattress protector OR mattress enhancer? Its the extra cost and then laundering of the enhancer that bothers me as a mattress protector would be much easier as I guess they will need laundering on each change over ?

Too much agonizing is never good!
Only perfection and a cat will do!
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

All my bedding is from the Richard Hayworth range. It comes back from the laundry looking lovely

https://www.richardhaworth.co.uk/
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

I use the 300 thread count cotton from Out of Eden - it's a bit of a pain if I have to iron it at home, but it comes back from the laundry absolutely beautifully. However, it does say on the label that they don't recommend sending it to a laundry and to wash it at 40C.

https://www.outofeden.co.uk/products/21 ... inen-white
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Another vote for Richard Haworth. We use the Prima Satin Stripe (I think!) and discovered it when we used a hotel linen hire service - it was what they supplied. Duvet covers have openings at top corners to put arms in when fitting them which makes life considerably easier.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Bed Linen choices – lost the will to live!
Oh dear.

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Re the mattress protectors, yes I have the two that you suggest. I think it’s essential.

I don’t wash the top protector every changeover, but as I ask guests if they can strip beds (and many do), I wouldn’t want them to see any marks at all on the protector, so it is washed regularly.

If you have space, it’s easier to have a spare, but drying is easy and it doesn’t need ironing.
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

Hi, it is a minefield isn’t it?

Most of the domestic bedding can only be washed at 40 degrees, which isn’t hot enough to get absolutely everything out, so that’s why all mine is commercial bedding and can be washed at 90 degrees, though usually it’s done at 60.

I’ve tried items from various suppliers. Like the others I love the Richard Haworth range. I love the coloured stitching along the side edges of sheets ( and bottom of duvet covers )to tell you what size it is ( blue for single, red for double, gold for king and green for superking). I like the handhold gaps and the open bag style so you just tuck the ends under the mattress. The 100% cotton irons the best.

I ve got some items from the Prima range ( a polycotton mix) and some from the Blenheim range ( pure white cotton). I prefer the Blenheim but the Prima is ok. They both wash and iron well. But Richard Howarth is expensive, and so recently I’ve been buying the Hilden Lesina from Vision support services. https://www.visionsupportservices.com/s ... /bed-linen

They are ok and have the same colour stitching as the Haworth ones. They have the handholds too. They look beautiful coming back from the laundry and seem to be holding up ok, though they do take a few washes before they become really soft. I hear Mitre, in Wales, are also good for bedding but have never used them.

Mattress protectors are must. I have a waterproof one from Dunelm on first ( though had to buy the superking ones on line) , with a quilted one from Dunelm on top of that. The are regularly washed - every week during the hot weather ( I’ve a few spares too) . Pillow protectors are also essential. Wilkinson/ Wilco and Dunelm both do cheaoer ones.

I’m currently washing my pillows too. Try to wash them every few months.

Laundry is a nightmare. The costs of going to the laundry are huge. I’ve a steam press iron so now do everything up to and including the double bed linen myself. . Superking always go to the laundry. Anything to reduce those laundry costs is a bonus. The laundry does an excellent job bit I treat any strains when they are first seen.

I’m currently looking at the M and S range of non iron Egyptian 100% cotton fitted sheets. There are no guidelines as to what temperature they can be washed at, but if they really don’t need ironing then that would be an easy way forward. Have just bought two to try. I hope 60 degrees will be safe for them. They come in lots of different colours , and aren’t too expensive at £19 for a double ( on offer atm too) . The M @ S hollowfibre duvets are a win too.

I thought I’d manage with 3 changes of linen per bed but have gone to 5 now which makes life much easier.

I’ve recently given up on the tea towels front. Trying to wash them and get the stains out was taking ages each week. I now buy the really cheap cotton (40 p each) ones from Ikea. I wash and iron them before use, and then give 2 to each booking as a present on arrival. The guests can take them home with them, and it works out cheaper than doing the laundry, especially if they get stained!

Also now have the silicone oven gloves from Ikea. They can go in the dishwasher to clean.

Good luck, hope you find what you like.
sandyandy

Post by sandyandy »

I can recommend Asda 100% cotton 300 thread count sateen striped duvet sets and also sheets. They wash well at 60 degrees and last a very long time. Good value, especially if you buy in the sale.
it will all come out in the wash
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have used 50% cotton / 50% polyester since I started letting in 2011. From different companies, but mostly from John Lewis.

My cleaner has always done the ironing, so I wanted to make it easier for her. She uses the washing machine and tumble drier in the cottage so often does both both cleaning, washing and ironing on same day.

There is no local laundry that I can use.. Have checked this out several times.

Re stains I have had to get rid of some bed linen occasionally but most of what I started with in 2011 is still going strong!

I use mattress and pillow protectors .. have spares ..

Ideally I would use cotton bed linen but don't want to make my cleaner's job harder.
aasta

Post by aasta »

We use organic cotton linen and towels which we purchased (wholesale)from Cotonea in Germany almost 9 years ago...they are still beautiful. wash well at 60 and 95 degrees. Our mattress protectors are by Comfier Sleep in Uk and made out of bamboo...also great product that lasts
aasta
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Just a couple of things to add to the mix;

Tea towels.....I bought black with very narrow white stripes. Perfect. You don't see the stains. 5yrs and still going strong. They were from m&s.

Pure linen....you might think it's expensive but it can be washed at high temps and doesn't need ironing as it's supposed to look rumpled. You can get varying quality so prices can be quite reasonable.

Ironed bedding....I was surprised to find the duvets unironed at the last 3 places we rented in the uk. So maybe it's not a necessity?

Mousie
x
loveka

Post by loveka »

I now use Out of Eden poly cotton. It is amazing quality. My Visit England report mentioned it specifically.
Emmy

Post by Emmy »

I buy from www.hilden.com - great service and great value. We use their Delio range, which is 80/20 cotton/polyester. It has a 20mm woven stripe and the satin weave (the stripes) - along with the fibre content - helps make it easier to iron than 100% cotton, but you wouldn't know it wasn't 100% cotton if you felt it. They send full size samples too, so you can launder them and compare them properly instead of managing with small swatches.
Wiltscottage

Post by Wiltscottage »

Hi,

Am just starting out and am grateful for lots of great info and advice on this forum.

Perhaps I am being naive, but I am astounded by the cost of bed linen and towels. I have one complete set of (300 thread 100% cotton) bed linen (inc mattress protectors) and towels for a sleeps 6 in my Out of Eden basket and the cost is over £600. I will need to double this to have a spare set and potentially triple it to have the third spare set that so many of you experienced folks recommend.

I can't bring myself to click to checkout as I feel that there must / should be a better way.

Am I being recklessly extravagant or does this figure sound about right and this is this really how much it all costs?

TIA for your feedback.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi
I went for towels from out of Eden - all the same colour, last time I needed to purchase. Previously I had bought locally but then struggled to match sets when a towel got a stain etc.
My property is 4* so the quality is not a problem.
How many towels per person are you buying? 1 go for 1 bath sheet and 1 hand towel per person and have 3 sets of everything. You don’t need to provide more per person at the outset, and if you do want to provide more you can add later when funds allow.

It is a big outlay at the start, but at least you can get replacements that match.