Artificial grass

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Rosehill

Artificial grass

Post by Rosehill »

We have a small pebbled garden where guests have often complained that it is not child friendly. We are considering using artifical grass but have thought it might get dirty or degrade over time. Has anyone had any experience with using it?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thee are different levels of quality you can get now. So it looks much better than it did a few years ago. In places that have had it laid I haven't noticed any fading or deterioration.
The main things friends have said is that it gets quite hot (obviously we are a very sunny, hot location) and it's hard to keep clean especially if near to trees or dusty sites. Other than that it's maintenance free.

Mouse
x
Drax

Post by Drax »

We have a sitting out area that has a concrete base which is somewhat 'ugly' in appearance. Rather than going to the expense and work of digging it up I opted to buy artificial turf to cover the expanse.
It was very easy to lay. covers the imperfections of the concrete base and looks almost like real grass.
Occasionally I have to brush off fallen leaves and other debris but it is easy to keep clean.
All-in-all I am very pleased with it and would recommend it as an easy alternative to other base coverings.
Keep your powder dry.
Rosehill

Post by Rosehill »

Thank you both for your quick replies. Is there any brand that you recommend? Also how much does it cost roughly?

Did you lay it yourself or have it fitted? I heard that it will have a longer life span if fitted by a professional.

My other concern is we allow dogs which might ruin it and make it more difficult to clean.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Hi Rosehill,
I bought my 'grass' off Amazon. There are varying sizes and prices on there.
It is easy to lay, (I did it myself) using large scissors and a 'Stanley' knife to trim and fit.
I cannot comment on dogs using it because I do not own a dog but the 'grass' is easy to clean, I use a 'yard' broom to sweep it and if there is any any ingrained dirt I pour a bucket over water over it and sweep clean.
Where the edge of the 'grass' bordered our path I fastened it by screwing a metal plate (like a carpet plate) through the 'grass' into the ground to secure it.
Hope that helps.
Keep your powder dry.
jafa

Post by jafa »

We got ours from "Aslon" based in Holland.
https://www.aslon-rubber.com/en/product ... les-retail
We have ours on our balcony in Austria. If you e-mail them, they will tell you where your nearest supplier is. It was about 15 euros for a 500x 500 but the quality is excellent.
Jafa
Rosehill

Post by Rosehill »

Thanks again. There are quite a few different types of grass on Amazon and some don't have reviews. Do you know the type of grass you bought Drax?
Drax

Post by Drax »

Hi Rosehill,
The 'grass I bought is called 'Riveria High Quality artificial Grass'. Unfortunately I have just checked the Amazon site and they do not currently stock it.
Keep your powder dry.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I have several friends with dogs who have artificial grass for low maintenance! I'm sure there are various brands, can't help you there...but they all love it. You would probably need to check after every rental for the obvious...maybe a hose down and also in case a dog that wasn't used to it tried to dig it up, not sure how that would work with replacement.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix