Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners


 
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Christmas
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index ->
Managing your guests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SPJ



Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 261
Location: Aquitaine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Christmas Reply with quote

Do you send your guests (past and future) Christmas greetings?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Drax



Joined: 21 Jul 2016
Posts: 110
Location: Yorkshire Dales

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to now my wife only sends a Christmas card to one set of guests, a lovely couple, who have stayed at our holiday-let 3 times this last 2 years and have booked again for next year.
My wife always writes and sends Christmas cards and sending to friends and family is quite time consuming. If she started sending to past and future guests she would probably end up with writers cramp.
_________________
Keep your powder dry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SPJ



Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 261
Location: Aquitaine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you Drax, I've got one couple who have been twice and are coming back again this coming year.
I wasn't thinking so much of cards - sending them back to the UK is tedious - but maybe just an email with seasons greetings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dusty



Joined: 19 Dec 2012
Posts: 351
Location: St Cernin de Labarde, Dordogne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We send our guests from the previous year Christmas cards, we think that it reminds people of the great time they had on holiday at the time when they are thinking of booking next years holiday. It seems to work as we do get a lot of repeat guests. The effort is worthwhile in our opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SPJ



Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 261
Location: Aquitaine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dusty. I wondered whether it felt too "commercial". I hate receiving cards from people with whom I do business - eg insurance broker - it feels so insincere. And I wondered whether my guests might feel the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cymraes



Joined: 07 Jul 2015
Posts: 428
Location: North Wales

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPJ wrote:
Thanks Dusty. I wondered whether it felt too "commercial". I hate receiving cards from people with whom I do business - eg insurance broker - it feels so insincere. And I wondered whether my guests might feel the same.


I hate getting business related cards. I don't even display them; they go straight in the recycling. I know that they are just sent to try and encourage me to use the company again not because they really want to send me a card.
_________________
Caro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mouse



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 7251
Location: Balearics

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent an e Christmas card out every year for the past 12 yrs. It really does help keep that connection and is instrumental in getting bookings. I use the Jackie Lawson website to send the cards so it's easy peasy.

Mousie
x
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SPJ



Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 261
Location: Aquitaine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
I've sent an e Christmas card out every year for the past 12 yrs. It really does help keep that connection and is instrumental in getting bookings. I use the Jackie Lawson website to send the cards so it's easy peasy.

Mousie
x


I love the JL website as well. Do you continue to send to people who haven't stayed for a year or two? I wondered about sending to those who stayed this last year and to those who have booked for this coming year and leaving it at that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AngloDutch



Joined: 11 Jul 2014
Posts: 715
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been sending the odd e-card since 2007, but started in 2011 sending one out to all guests that had stayed with us during that calendar year.

Some e-cards are never opened, but we often get an e-card sent in reply or a follow-up email to say how very much the guests had enjoyed their stay and would stay again if they are ever looking in our area again. We have had a few who said that they would book again for next year once the festivities were over. Some went on to book, others not.

We've found that it's better to send e-cards out in mid-December when people are less busy. Sending them out just a few days before Christmas Day will result in many not being opened.

We've always sent them out via 123Greetings (USA), as they're always free to send. There are always some good ones there, but you have to find them among the 'schmaltz'!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jonathan



Joined: 14 Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Location: Warwickshire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngloDutch wrote:
We've been sending the odd e-card since 2007, but started in 2011 sending one out to all guests that had stayed with us during that calendar year.

Some e-cards are never opened, but we often get an e-card sent in reply or a follow-up email to say how very much the guests had enjoyed their stay and would stay again if they are ever looking in our area again. We have had a few who said that they would book again for next year once the festivities were over. Some went on to book, others not.

We've found that it's better to send e-cards out in mid-December when people are less busy. Sending them out just a few days before Christmas Day will result in many not being opened.

We've always sent them out via 123Greetings (USA), as they're always free to send. There are always some good ones there, but you have to find them among the 'schmaltz'!


Under GDPR have you obtained their permission for this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AngloDutch



Joined: 11 Jul 2014
Posts: 715
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan wrote:
AngloDutch wrote:
We've been sending the odd e-card since 2007, but started in 2011 sending one out to all guests that had stayed with us during that calendar year.

Some e-cards are never opened, but we often get an e-card sent in reply or a follow-up email to say how very much the guests had enjoyed their stay and would stay again if they are ever looking in our area again. We have had a few who said that they would book again for next year once the festivities were over. Some went on to book, others not.

We've found that it's better to send e-cards out in mid-December when people are less busy. Sending them out just a few days before Christmas Day will result in many not being opened.

We've always sent them out via 123Greetings (USA), as they're always free to send. There are always some good ones there, but you have to find them among the 'schmaltz'!


Under GDPR have you obtained their permission for this?



We'd have to contact guests first to ask their permission, as we don't send out contracts in which could be stated that by booking, guests give us permission to communicate with them until the end of the calendar year of which their booking falls.

I haven't looked into the GDPR regulations, but I suppose that if a guest wanted to make an issue of it and report us for invading their privacy, we could be fined quite heavily. Another reason why we should start getting guests to sign contracts, apart from requiring guests to be more aware of our house rules and taking more responsibility for their actions when they stay!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CSE



Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Galicia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't looked into the GDPR regulations,

Buuuuutttttt Shocked this forum we have had discussions on this.
Being in business it is a regulation we ALL have to abide by.
Some links for you to read.
https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/privacy-en-persoonsgegevens/voldoen-aan-de-avg
https://www.kvk.nl/advies-en-informatie/avg/
Does not your website apply the regulations either?
_________________
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SPJ



Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 261
Location: Aquitaine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For heavens sake! Forget this. I thought it might be a nice gesture.
I'll find other ways to be nice to my guests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AngloDutch



Joined: 11 Jul 2014
Posts: 715
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPJ wrote:
For heavens sake! Forget this. I thought it might be a nice gesture.
I'll find other ways to be nice to my guests.


Yes, SPJ, it seems a shame that you cannot send your guest/client a Christmas card anymore without fear of doing something illegal.
But in around a week's time I will be sending them out electronically to our past guests as usual. If anyone wants to complain about receiving a Christmas card, then let them....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CSE



Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Galicia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngloDutch, be it Christmas cards or not, it was you who stated that you have not done anything in complying with what the Dutch call AVG. (Brits call GDPR).
The links are for you to get reading. Every country interprets the EU privacy laws in a slight different way. For example we as a professional business have had to register how we grad our clients data. Giving the clients details to an online card website is not perhaps a great way to comply is it?

Going back to the original question of what to do, what happens if you have guests who do not celibate Christmas. Would you not feel you could be offending them?
_________________
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index ->
Managing your guests
All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group