security

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Rosehill

security

Post by Rosehill »

We have had two attempted break ins via a window in the back garden this year. We have considered security lights and fake cctv cameras. I would be grateful for any suggestions?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Personally with the amount of trouble you have recently had apart from sympathy my best words for you is to sell the property. It does sound so stressful with little gain either financially or your well being.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Rosehill

Post by Rosehill »

Thanks but we could never sell. The house has been in the family for many years and holds many happy memories.
Cymraes

Re: security

Post by Cymraes »

Rosehill wrote:We have had two attempted break ins via a window in the back garden this year. We have considered security lights and fake cctv cameras. I would be grateful for any suggestions?
Can you secure the garden to stop them getting round the back? I have decorative iron gates secured with key code padlocks.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Being in the family for years may mean ties but what good are they if it causes you all of this heartache. In the end the relationship will turn sourer and the great memories will be a distant past.
At times we have to make changes to your life.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Security lights would help if you have neighbours around who could be alerted if there was an intruder and cameras would prove a deterrent so they must be worth a go. Are the windows secure, i.e. are they good quality and double glazed? The biggest deterrent has got to making things difficult for the potential thief.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Security lights
IP cameras that you can link to your phone
Camera/CCTV warning signs
Beware of the dog signs
Plant thorny bushes outside the weak point
Timers for interior lights when the property is empty
Install security grilles

Apart from security grilles none of this is expensive.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Security/ movement lights definitely a good idea as they will assist your guests.
Ensuring good quality double glazing and secure fencing as has been said above is also essential.

Try to work out how someone would realise the property is empty. Would some lights on timer switches help? Do you cleaners leave curtains ope or closed when the property has been vacated? Would blinds help (to make it harder to see in, but better than closed curtain).

I’m not sure about fake cameras. These days cameras are affordable, and you can monitor and record via the internet - but if fake look good then the guests will also think you have cameras and that provides you with a different set of problems.

Is Paignton a summer only holiday choice? Is there much to attract people in the winter?? I presume you stay as much as possible in the winter and encourage the wider family and sensible friends to stay so it isn’t left too long without someone.
CSE

Post by CSE »

These days cameras are affordable, and you can monitor and record via the internet
Read the OPs previous questions there does seem to be some difficulty in finding internet connection
But would having CCTV put guests off renting?
There is that privacy question.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... r-property
This one is if the rental is considered a business.
https://www.gov.uk/data-protection-your ... using-cctv
COYS

Post by COYS »

Decent locks.
An alarm.
Security lighting.
Active (when vacant) cameras with warning signage.
None of the above are as expensive as an actual burglary is likely to be, should reduce your insurance premiums and are relatively simple to install.
Two attempted break-ins is two too many, your luck may run out next time.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

My thoughts would be to catch and criminalise those responsible. It sends out a message to others. Whilst having an internet connection to keep an eye on what’s going on via a phone or PC etc would be great. It doesn’t help you to catch them either because by the time you get yourself there they’ve already gone. If you are quick enough to catch them red handed, what are you going to do about it (The shits have rights too!!!!!!). You can’t have a go, you’ll be the one who gets locked up. It’s no good to you if the image quality is poor. You have to be able to identify the offenders and for this reason I would want to get in place a seriously good HD CCTV camera or two connected to a DVR / NVR that’s locked away somewhere obscure so that it’s impossible to find. Get clear images of the offenders, in all probability the offenders are already known to the police. Personally I think that security lighting is a waste of time, in fact I think that thieves like them as it helps them to see what they are doing as the vast majority of neighbours ignore them, just another cat turning the light on again!
No matter what you do to keep them out, if they want to get in they will succeed. Unless you can provide good quality images of them, finger prints and DNA getting the police involved is like waving a wet brown paper bag at the shits.
The majority of CCTV cameras record poor image video, useless to you and the police. I can recommend these: https://www.hdcctv.co.uk/products/hd-ip ... 00v-w.html
Thieves will often wear hoodies and walk around looking downward, nobody expects to find a camera installed at ground level looking up, this worked for one of my customers a couple of years ago. 8 out of 10 burglaries are committed by someone you know or a direct friend or family member of such! Try casual conversations with friends, family and neighbours saying that you’ve had HD CCTV installed and you can’t wait to catch the buggers on CCTV video soon (even if you haven’t). The message will go around friends and family quickly and that may be an end to it.
They’ve tried twice, they’ll be back again.
Mazey

Security lights

Post by Mazey »

Around here - West Cornwall, security lights are more of a nuisance than a deterrent. Most neighbours ignore them because badgers, cats, foxes, etc are setting them off all the time. Security sensors which alert you via the internet are OK if there is a friendly neighbour who can investigate immediately. Radios/TVs etc on timers which make it appear that someone is in are good and inexpensive. There is a product which is motion/sound activated which activates a dog barking sound. Burglars are s**t scared of dogs!
Roger
Lower Balwest Farm
https://lowerbalwest.co.uk/