New review - from someone who hasn't stayed here

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Dusty

New review - from someone who hasn't stayed here

Post by Dusty »

Hi all, last night I received a new review on Google My Business from someone who hasn't stayed here. It is 3 stars and simply says "beautiful place". My first reaction was to respond, thanking her for the review and stating that I can't recall her staying here but do you think this is the right thing to do?
The review is innocuous enough but the 3 stars isn't great. I don't think I can leave the review without a response but thought I would seek the advise of the sages on here as to how I should respond.
tchn

Post by tchn »

I had one like this, along with photos that made it clear the guests were staying in a house just down the road. I replied politely suggesting it was misattributed (with link of where they could find valid reviews for us, as most are not on Google), and I also reported the post as misleading. It disappeared within a day - I don't know whether due to the actions of Google administrators, or the original posters.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Of the 10 or so 'reviews' & ratings that have found their way on to our GMB listing over 75% are or have been fictitious - i.e they are from mysterious posters who have never stayed with us. I did get some with photos of entirely unrelated property removed but I still have almost the whole range of stars from multiple nationalities & no idea who they are or why. It is certainly not easy to mistake us for a hotel, a studio complex or a restaurant & pool bar as in the photos I had removed. Each new phantom post brings along a flurry of prompts to buy ads & I have a sneaking suspicion that many of these mystery posts are surreptitiously 'generated' in order to make listings appear more active than they actually are to boost ad sales.
For all the fuss it took to set up, I look on it as just a verification tool with a map pin & little else.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks to you both for your responses, it's good to know that I'm not alone. I have responded to the review, thanking them for it but saying that I don't recall them staying here so will see if anything comes of it, at least if anyone reads it they will have some background to the review. The strange thing is the the person who left the review lives locally and has left loads of reviews on various places, maybe she doesn't have another hobby :D .
Like you COYS I only see the listing on GMB as giving someone who is 'cruising' around on Google maps to find us if they're interested or if someone is interested in staying with us it's another validation that we exist.