How Do You Attract European Guests to UK?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
rosebud

How Do You Attract European Guests to UK?

Post by rosebud »

About 10% of my guests are from Europe but I'd like to attract more... Any suggestions?? My cottage is about 35 mins away from Gatwick by car.

Home Away / Owners Direct subscription used to bring some but had no bookings at all from them since early in the year. I list with AirBnb (2 bookings from Europe through them in 5 years) and Booking.com (virtually no bookings whatsoever, through them)

My own website (source of around 45% of new bookings) is mainly visited by UK residents.

Would anyone recommend Ferienhausmiete.de ??
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Sorry, no.
I subscribed for a year. Not even an enquiry :(
I don’t think they are set up for the U.K.
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you want to get more customers, no matter where they are from, that use Gatwick for a port of entry/exit then maybe allow one nighters?
Also look at the competition see if your prices are competitive.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I think this year it will be difficult to attract European guests.

The uncertainty over Brexit will deter many until it becomes clearer as to what it will mean for travel to and from the UK.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Cymraes wrote:I think this year it will be difficult to attract European guests.

The uncertainty over Brexit will deter many until it becomes clearer as to what it will mean for travel to and from the UK.
The same could be said for those that list their European property in pounds only.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Cymraes wrote:I think this year it will be difficult to attract European guests.

Why? We travelled far & wide long before EU membership & will continue to do so after. European guests are still coming, maybe now they just have a far wider choice of accommodation than ever before & it's a little more difficult to secure their custom. Just a thought.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

COYS wrote:

Why? We travelled far & wide long before EU membership & will continue to do so after. European guests are still coming, maybe now they just have a far wider choice of accommodation than ever before & it's a little more difficult to secure their custom. Just a thought.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advi ... arch-2019/

I expect articles like this are in the continental papers too. I've booked my own skiing holiday for Jan this year and I will be waiting to see what happens before I book a summer holiday. If I need a visa or there are widespread queues to get through immigration for Europe I'll probably go elsewhere.
CSE

Post by CSE »

If I need a visa or there are widespread queues to get through immigration for Europe I'll probably go elsewhere.
Limits you a lot then.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requ ... ements_map
COYS

Post by COYS »

As casasantoestevo points out above, visa requirements are pretty widespread outside of EU, & nothing new or particularly prohibitive for the vast majority of law abiding citizens. It certainly shouldn't limit travel plans & I'm afraid Telegraph press 'reports' hold little merit for me, it's just media guessing games & political spin. We travelled before & will continue to do so, the odd queue is par for the course.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.