Registering for a Tourist Licence

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
ValleyofSun

Registering for a Tourist Licence

Post by ValleyofSun »

I own a property in Andalucia which I've rented out for holiday lets for several years. I'm a UK resident, transactions are all conducted in the UK and I pay taxes here. Like most people I've never obtained a tourist licence - I did try once but eventually gave up - but now the government seems to be getting a lot more serious about this (and HA have asked me for transaction details to pass on to the Spanish treasury). I've emailed the town hall - no reply as usual - so I'm going to go out and go there in person next week.

Other people must have done this, be doing it - or at least be concerned about it. Does anybody have advice? What are the implications of not bothering?

Thanks for any help.
Kevin, Valley of Sun, Andalucia.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

The tourist licence situation is all very complicated across spain now. I don't know how the process is in Andalucia but my advice would be to put your application in to the hands of gestoria or lawyer. They will be able to advise you and then handle the application for you. The gestoria will also be able to advise and do your tax returns.

If you want an idea of the process before you apply then I think it's Spain-Holiday who have an excellent guide on their rental site that explains each regions requirements.

Good luck
Mousie
x
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Posted twice
Last edited by Mouse on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Like "Mouse" I am not in Andalucia but I can tell you 1000% that you need a licence. But if you own a property in Spain I am positive that you should already be doing a Spanish tax declaration and paying a small capital gains tax regardless of whether you pay taxes in the UK, And you MUST declare your holiday rental earnings here in Spain. This is not new.
What is new is that the Spanish tax people have forced the Holiday Let sites into informing them of your transactions and also necessitating a licence number in your advert.
If you don't have a Spanish "gestor" or "assessor" to do your documentation then get one fast (like tomorrow). The situation will become even more intense if Brexit goes through.
You have only given brief information but I suspect from what you say that you have not been fulfilling the Spanish obligations.
Once you get registered they have the power to go back 4 years and make you pay the taxes plus substantial penalties.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

Mouse and costa-brava are right. Things do seem to be tightening up, especially the requirement of rental platforms to supply details and require licence details as well as NIE numbers. Each region is different and then there is a distinction between rural and 'urban'. Rural regulations have been around for ages requiring a Vivienda Turistica licence - all quite easy. The urban 'Vivienda con Fines Turisticos´ is relatively new and is settling in. We have both (a rural house and two apartments in Malaga city). Although you can do it yourself, a gestor would make life much easier.

On the spain-holiday.com site at the bottom click on Rental Buzz and the very bottom for an detailed guide for Andalucía. I think I also set out on this forum how we got our licences if you search the Spain forum. Don't be too scared by the process you will sleep better when it's done.
ValleyofSun

Post by ValleyofSun »

Thank you for all this and the link to the Spain-holiday website, which seems very good (are they any good to advertise on?). I have actually always done a Spanish tax declaration for capital gains tax and, as I said, once started the process of obtaining a tourist licence. I've always accepted that it's quite reasonable that I'm expected to pay taxes in Spain but the property is owned jointly by 4 people, which complicated things and I gave up. However, things have changed and, again not unreasonably, the govt. is clamping down on tax avoidance and I need to get my act together (the AC requirement wasn't there before and seems onerous and expensive!).

Again, thank you all very much for your advice.
Kevin, Valley of Sun, Andalucia.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I can highly recommend spain-holiday to advertise with.
We have used them for years. They are quick to respond if you need help, innovative and I eventually used just them and my website to advertise on. They will not accept you without a licence number.
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

If you get a VTAR licence (rural holiday rental) you don't have to have air-con. We have one of these. We didn't get it from the town hall. Our gestor went down to the Turismo office in Malaga to get it. It was surprisingly uncomplicated!
Casa Montana

Re: License

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi Valleyofsun,

I have just received my licence last week & my gestor applied in June 2018. I am in Valencia.

Think there was a massive backlog to get through.

Definitely get a gestor as others have suggested.

Good luck.

Carl
Casa Montana