2019 Bookings up or down on 2018

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.

Bookings for 2019 up or down compared to 2018

Poll ended at Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Up more than 30%
3%
Up 15-30%
7%
Up 1-15%
4%
About the same
22%
Down 1-15%
30%
Down 15-30%
34%

Total votes: 76

CSE

Post by CSE »

^^^^^^^You forgot;
The might be war between Pakistan and India;
The elections and lack of trust in Spain;
Spain- do not mention GIB;
The Italians actually in recession;
Malta too small;
Greece, well!

Most sure I missed one or two. :wink:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

casasantoestevo wrote:^^^^^^^You forgot;
The might be war between Pakistan and India;
The elections and lack of trust in Spain;
Spain- do not mention GIB;
The Italians actually in recession;
Malta too small;
Greece, well!

Most sure I missed one or two. :wink:
Yes I forgot about Spain
And the Orangutan has failed to get a deal with King Kong Um or did he just go there to buy a golf course and seek asylum after he is impeached?
Ausies are busy fighting fires.
Most of Africa are having elections and the losing opposition will claim it was rigged and then have a military coup.
The Canadian economy suffers whilst its president goes on yet another LGBT parade.
The Russians and Chinese are very happy that their interference is making democracy fail everywhere.

Any others?
:?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Yes the EU elections.
Seems some sort of trouble with leaving Portuguese MEP Rodrigues off the voting list.

Just like buses problems come at once.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Hi Felicity and Ianh

2 thirds of my bookings in the past 12 months have been for periods shorter than a week.
This is a marked change from past experience - 2 years ago 39% were for under a week.
I have lowered short term rates in the winter .. partly to offer similar prices to others on AirBnb
My minimum stay is generally 3 nights.

With future bookings I have a relatively large number of returners and fewer new guests. Of 13 future bookings 8 are returners. Of the 5 new guests 3 have come through my web site.

I have only had 1 booking through Home Away in llast 12 months and 1 from from VRBO. I will not be renewing my subscription.

Nothing through booking.com....

Jenny
Martha

Post by Martha »

Weirdly, summer has booked if anything rather better than usual for me - normally people wait a little later for summer in the Alps but I've now got only three weeks available. I think the heatwaves of Southern Europe are starting to really make the mountains more popular for summer.

This winter was noticeably hit by Brexit, I was expecting good bookings after last season's reassuringly massive snowfall but up to Christmas things were pretty thin. Since then it has hugely improved but only two British families all season - normally we are at least 50% British clients. Reassuring that other nationalities have filled the gap but of course continental clients tend to book later as they don't have flights/crossings to arrange.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Interesting to read the comments here - particularly yours, Martha as in theory, being just round the corner from each other, we should be experiencing the same pattern. However I can't say that's the case: for us, summer advanced bookings are on a par with previous years and we've had a great winter, with all our peak weeks selling within a fortnight of our main ad going up at the end of August last year.

The difference though is that our business model is not based around attracting Brits (all our peak week/weekend winter guests are either French or Belgian this year), so sadly, I think you're right, Martha, the Brexit effect is starting to be seen.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Martha wrote:Weirdly, summer has booked if anything rather better than usual for me - normally people wait a little later for summer in the Alps but I've now got only three weeks available. I think the heatwaves of Southern Europe are starting to really make the mountains more popular for summer.

This winter was noticeably hit by Brexit, I was expecting good bookings after last season's reassuringly massive snowfall but up to Christmas things were pretty thin. Since then it has hugely improved but only two British families all season - normally we are at least 50% British clients. Reassuring that other nationalities have filled the gap but of course continental clients tend to book later as they don't have flights/crossings to arrange.
Very similar experience here.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

In January our booking numbers were up about 17% on the same time last year. Since then enquiries have slowed down and total nights booked are now about 20% down on 1st March last year. Most of our bookings are from the UK so I'm sure Brexit uncertainty is a big factor.

On the plus side we've had many more nights taken in the first quarter than last year (44 so far, compared to 27, over 2 properties). I'm hoping this means we're going to get more short notice bookings this year so it will be a case of holding our nerve.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Joanna wrote: Most of our bookings are from the UK so I'm sure Brexit uncertainty is a big factor.
Its interesting that you feel Brexit is an issue for UK residents holidaying in the UK. Its not as though currency fluctuation or visa's come into play. Or is your rental property outside the UK ?
What would Plato do ?
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

bornintheuk wrote:
Joanna wrote: Most of our bookings are from the UK so I'm sure Brexit uncertainty is a big factor.
Its interesting that you feel Brexit is an issue for UK residents holidaying in the UK. Its not as though currency fluctuation or visa's come into play. Or is your rental property outside the UK ?
I think both UK and Europe's bookings are down because both are affected by Brexit. Why? As mentioned travel may be affected by currency fluctuation and the possibility of visas, long line ups at UK entry ports and as I previously noted that the stock markets of the world which affect savings and pensions have taken a toll. I also think there is much nervousness about security of jobs, especially in the UK. There is so much negativity about large manufacturers pulling out of UK, and much news about the cost of imported goods into UK increasing thereby increasing the cost of living. Worrying times.

If just 50% of UK and Europe's holiday makers are sitting on the fence waiting to see what happens then that translates into a 50% reduction in bookings to date and I think that is exactly what we are experiencing.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Our properties are in the UK. I think there is a lot of uncertainty around jobs and money and maybe many people are waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks before they commit to holidays here or abroad. I could be wrong - it may be something else entirely.
Jo

Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Crossed posts with Codliveroil!
Jo

Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

Joanna wrote:Our properties are in the UK. I think there is a lot of uncertainty around jobs and money and maybe many people are waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks before they commit to holidays here or abroad. I could be wrong - it may be something else entirely.
Completely agree.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We are the same as Joanna, Had a lot more last minute bookings over recent weeks meaning this FY has been pretty good. Good bookings over Easter and into May but no bookings at all over the summer so far.

I don't think we have seen any consistent pattern in the 7 years we have been doing this so not going to worry just yet. Many more of our bookings are now from Booking.vom and AirBNB, not a model that we like but it seems to work well.
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

Yup, I agree with Joanna too - I think people are waiting to see what happens at the end of this month to make a decision about whether their holiday this year is in the UK or abroad.
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...