Taking Payments

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Rambling

Taking Payments

Post by Rambling »

Hi

Just starting out and virtually ready to go live.

My intention was to go via an agent however when the came to view they asked why did I need an agent as I had started a Social Media presence and also have an SEO friendly domain.
Needless to say I was a bit perplexed by their question.

Anyway it got me thinking. If I went with an alternative agency (no contract tie etc) and pushed my own website, what method do people prefer for taking payments? I wouldn't want a fully automated booking software, just a method of taking the payment once I confirmed all. Does anyone use a simple BACS method?

Thanks
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Try searching the forum for payment methods - you'll find people use a mix of bank transfer/BACS, PayPal, credit cards and cheques (yes still).

Card payments can be taken using Stripe in combination with Wave (which generates email invoices) or embedded in your own site. We use PIMS to manage our bookings and that has the ability to embed Stripe card payments in our booking forms.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Find out more about PIMS here:
https://www.holidayrentalmanagement.com

It's a great sytem for managing bookings and sharing your calendar across your own site and listing sites. It also helps make sure that you can't accidentally double book. It's run by a member of this forum.

Edited to add - you mentioned not wanting a fully automated system and you can use PIMS just to organise your bookings behind the scenes.

BTW if you decide to use PIMS and quote my referral code (1379595) you get an extra 3 months on your subscription.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Rambling

Post by Rambling »

Thanks, will take a look.