LESS RENTALS IF WE DON'T ALLOW DOGS?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
JohnT

LESS RENTALS IF WE DON'T ALLOW DOGS?

Post by JohnT »

We are just in the process of buying a pretty, small cottage in Pembrokeshire which we plan to rent as a FHL (great site this..).
Whilst we have a dog ourselves we are leaning towards not taking dogs for various reasons.
I realise its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question... but do you think we will get significantly less bookings by not taking dogs?(2 bed cottage sleeps 4)
Also would be very interested to hear of peoples experience good and bad with dogs.
Thanks in advance
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Wasn't it published recently that something like 40% of the population now own a dog? It was a very high figure anyway.

If you don't accept dogs you are immediately writing off all people who holiday with their dogs so significantly shrinking your potential market at a stroke.

I have had far more damage from families with small children than I have had from dogs.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Our FHL is a 2 bedroomed bungalow that sleeps 3 and we been in the FHL'business' for 3 years.
Right from the start, mainly for hygene and cleanliness reasons, we deliberately chose not to allow dogs or pets in our bungalow.
I am certain that we have lost some custom from holidakers wanting to bring their pets on holiday with them and we have had people 'pleading' with us to allow them to bring their 'very well behaved dog' with them.
On the 'other side of the coin' we have had holidaymakers who deliberately chose holiday accommodation where pets are not allowed because of hygene/allergy/religous reasons.
Because we have never allowed dogs/pets we cannot compare if we have lost business because of it but we do not regret our ban and we still get a large number of bookings in a competitive market despite the bar.
Keep your powder dry.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We have two 3 bedrooms a few minutes walk apart.

Same annual figure for the dog friendly and no pets one.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

We don't allow dogs for hygiene and allergy reasons. Last year we had a family stay who asked if it would be ok if their daughter brought their 'very well behaved' dog along. We explained our reasoning and the guest said they understood perfectly as the mother was also allergic to dogs so it was a bit of a relief that the daughter couldn't bring hers along :)
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

We don't allow dogs for hygiene and allergy reasons. Last year we had a family stay who asked if it would be ok if their daughter brought their 'very well behaved' dog along. We explained our reasoning and the guest said they understood perfectly as the mother was also allergic to dogs so it was a bit of a relief that the daughter couldn't bring hers along :)
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

I had a property which was really suitable for dogs - not much in the way of soft furnishings, and big garden well away from the road. Allowing them definitely brought guests who wouldn’t have otherwise booked, and they were never a problem. Cats, though, are a real pain and to be avoided.
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

We started last year and in the 10 months we were open to guests we booked 26 weeks, had 70 adults stay with us, bringing 7 children and 26 dogs. I didn't work out the percentage of bookings that brought a dog, but it was most of them.

The agency I'm with has a rule of no dogs in bedrooms or on furniture. I'd say the one about the furniture is probably more honoured in the breach than the observance, they do get on the sofas, but the only damage we've had so far is a very slightly chewed cushion and the owner was mortified and left me an apologetic note and £20.

I've found most dog owners have been brilliant about cleaning as well - a few times I've walked in after they've left and not been able to tell there'd been a dog there.
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

If you are a new FHL in the area, do some research about what your local competitors offer in the way of accepting dogs, and do something different. Eg if they all accept dogs (or most of them do) then to say no dogs will make you attractive to people who would prefer a property that doesn’t take them and vice versa.

Do remember though that you must always legally accept assistance dogs, so you need to make this clear on your advertising.

It’s probably easier to test the water with no dogs, but with a view to accepting them in the future if you are missing out on too many bookings.

(You won’t be able to say you are attractive to people with allergies if your own dog stays at the property with you)
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

When we opened in 2010 the Agency we were with at the time said accepting dogs was a must. Despite a no dogs policy on furnishings and in the bedroom most dogs were in the bedroom and on the leather sofas. Dog hair and chews were regularly found in the bed. Having wooden floors throughout and leather furniture encouraged guests to allow the dogs total freedom of the cottage. I am a dog lover with 6 of my own. After several bad changeovers in a row where we were running about changing curtains for the next guests I told the Agency no more dogs. They said my revenue would drop by a third because we were in a rural area with great walks from the door and only being a one bedroom property our market was limited. That was in 2013. There was a slight dip in bookings but no where near a third and it is a decision we have not regretted.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

We too are in Pembrokeshire, and whilst I would say that accepting dogs is likely to bring you more bookings (especially in the out of season period) it's not going to stop you getting bookings.

We have chosen not to accept dogs (or any pets). Why? - because:
=> We have 3 cottages on the same site that we live on.
=> The time to changeover 3 cottages is tight as it is, so the added potential of additional cleaning after dogs makes this impossible.
=> Sound transfer between the cottages could be an issue if you have a barking dog.
=> We have a large lake which dogs love, but our cottage interiors wouldn't (not everyone would thoroughly dry their dogs before going inside!).
=> Our grounds are not fully enclosed so the risk of dogs getting out onto farm land is to high.
=> We have 2 of our own living on the same site and don't want to restrict their access to the grounds.

We've been going for 7 years now and get plenty of bookings, so if you choose not to be dog friendly I really don't think it will impact too much.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I don't accept dogs as we are a first floor apartment with no outside space, and also because I can't face the potential mess/hassle. A neighbouring property does accept them as they are ground floor with a garden.

I am slightly cheaper than them, but we both book very well (popular beach location) and I would say there is no difference in our level of bookings.

I am also considering banning children but I think that might affect my bottom line too much, as about 70% of our guests have them!
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Thank you all so much for the replies, interesting some very different views.
I hadn't thought that some people may want to rent a pet free property, although doesn't help us as our dog will stay.
I think we will try and rent with no dogs and see if we get enough rentals, both for the income we need and also to hit the 105 days to qualify as a FHL for tax. Luckily the house is already designated as a holiday let so there should be no business rates / council tax to pay from the outset.
Ideally we would also exclude young children as appreciate they can potentially cause more damage than dogs... in fact I would rather not rent it at all but needs must and if we exclude children and dogs I can't see we will get many rentals...
We hope to complete on the purchase by end March, get some work done and have it available for the summer no doubt I will be asking for more advice....
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply to me, it is very much appreciated.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I don't take dogs and advertise it as a pet free rental. Babies and small kids are brilliant tho, despite the extra cleaning, as I know i have a say 90% chance of repeat business until they get to c 10 years old. So a baby is tops, young kids brilliant. Just buy loads of toys from a charity shop and put them away in a box if no kids are in the party.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

JohnT wrote:in fact I would rather not rent it at all but needs must and if we exclude children and dogs I can't see we will get many rentals...
We hope to complete on the purchase by end March, get some work done and have it available for the summer no doubt I will be asking for more advice....
I'm not quite sure why you want to buy the property in that case. There are much better investments around; and if you don't like to have people staying in the place, you're not going to have much fun.