LESS RENTALS IF WE DON'T ALLOW DOGS?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

newtimber wrote:
JohnT wrote:in fact I would rather not rent it at all but needs must and if we exclude children and dogs I can't see we will get many rentals...
We hope to complete on the purchase by end March, get some work done and have it available for the summer no doubt I will be asking for more advice....
I'm not quite sure why you want to buy the property in that case. There are much better investments around; and if you don't like to have people staying in the place, you're not going to have much fun.
I think a FHL makes perfect sense as an investment at the moment with interest on savings being so small as long as you are able to make use of it several times a year for your own pleasure.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Norfolk Canary wrote:
I think a FHL makes perfect sense as an investment at the moment with interest on savings being so small as long as you are able to make use of it several times a year for your own pleasure.
If you already own a property, you have to pay at least 3% stamp duty, solicitors fees etc etc so you'll end up with a negative return for year one. With a chance of a Corbyn government in a few years time which may want to have a very different tax treatment for second homes and change the rules, it may not be the safe investment you think it is.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We accepted dogs to start with but are not dog owners ourselves, I think most that stayed were very respectful but a few were not. We are remote owners and just could not reply on the cleaners doing a good enough job of cleaning after dogs. We were at best dog tolerant. I think if you are going to take dogs you need to offer the best for them.

I don't think it impacts our bookings that much, yes we get enquiries from people who say they would like to bring dogs and dog get the booking.

If you are not going to take young children or pets I think you will be restricting your market.
Martha

Post by Martha »

So much depends on the house, furnishings, setup, personal preferences, garden, fencing, neighbours etc etc. Our house is reasonably suitable but the garden is not at all. So I don't advertise as pets allowed but have allowed a few under conditions. I have a page of caveats that I send if people ask, so they understand the issues.
http://www.chaletlaforet.com/booking/do-you-accept-dogs

If we had a fully fenced, all mown garden I probably would allow them. My experience has been that kids cause way more damage! I take an extra deposit for dogs, but I've found most people with dogs are very relieved to find it's a possibility and leave everything really clean. It's true that there are some bad apples and that's way I take the big deposit and make it clear that extra cleaning time will be charged for.

If you have a dog and can't advertise as pet free I would be inclined to allow them if the house is suitable. Include lots of washable throws that can be used on furniture. I say no dogs on the furniture but of course people do. I interpret it to mean...I had better not be able to tell!

It's true that if you're not on site, it's harder. One to talk to your housekeeper about?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Barney

Post by Barney »

We were pressed by one rental company to accept dogs as it would lead to more bookings, being new to the business we heeded their advice but received more without pet bookings. We had guests arrive with 2 dogs that were left unattended in the property and caused damage which cost £255 to put right so we stopped accepting them.
If accepting pets there should be a charge for them similar to an extra person - look at cost of kennels or similar.