Building Site Noise

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

TheBrewster wrote: but I've learnt my lesson, and won't be asking for any more advice. What a shame because I had thought this was a fantastic resource for homeowners like ourselves.
Please do ask again: most of us are very willing to help out and if we do get it wrong, then we hold our hands up and say sorry, like costa-brava has.

There's probably someone on every forum who prefers to wind people up, but it becomes easy to ignore them once you get the gist of their way of responding to people...

Oh, and costa-brava... I don't think you were considered to be the one with the hobby. :wink:

In terms of advice concerning the noise, I think in the first instance, you need to find out exactly what's been agreed with the local planning department (particularly timings and how early/late the can work) and consider what action you take with your guests after that. Hopefully, you'll find out that the noisy work is short term, and all you'll have to do is inform the guests that there may be a bit more traffic or the likes. If not, my hunch is that it would be best to contact them and describe exactly what to expect when they arrive so there are no nasty surprises and perhaps consider compensation. It's possible that you'll get some cancellations, which would be regrettable but better than unhappy guests, however it's also possible that you'll find some guests aren't bothered in the slightest because they plan to be out all day, or are just used to noise. I once apologised profusely to guests who I was sure would have been disturbed by noisy guests in the adjacent room, to which they replied, 'What noise? We heard nothing... we're Spanish!' :lol:

Good luck with it all.
CSE

Post by CSE »

TheBrewster wrote:casasantaestovo - at no point have I confused an IBI and an ETV. And I'm really not sure where that assumption comes from.
I am painfully, and 28,000 euro later, aware of what an ETV is.
But you're obviously king of the castle where Lay My Hat is concerned and I bow to your superior knowledge.
I'm not sure your pomposity is justified, but I've learnt my lesson, and won't be asking for any more advice. What a shame because I had thought this was a fantastic resource for homeowners like ourselves.
You got my post all wrong. all my brusque comments are squarely aimed at CB. He was the one who was clueless with regard to your situations and has now clearly admitted to that.You never talked about ducks and you were not confused.
I would never suggest that all the legal beagles in Spain are totally inept. To suggest so it is an insult to your choice of action to keep faith and still use this persons services.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I understand why Brewster took the hump at Casa's IBI/ETV comment. I also understand why he fired it at me. He contributes tons of useful stuff in LMH but he's not always right and neither am I so we sometimes clash. In this case my comments have been more blunt than his.
However, the reason SP/HOL ask for the IBI receipt is that it is the only real year-on-year proof that you are the authentic owner. Many sites used to (and still do) ask for utility bills but most of us are paperless for these now and they're not real proof of ownership. Also the IBI payment is a significant cost in the running of a property and it seems really odd that Brewster is finding it difficult to locate.
On the question of noise, the neighbouring property must have been vacant when Brewster bought her house, so it was inevitable that someone would build. These villas always have substantial underbuilding which involves hacking out sandstone with a jack-hammer attachment on the digger. It's a horrendous noise but only lasts a couple of weeks. That is followed by the quieter but more intrusive cement lorries for a few weeks more. So there's more pain to come.
If you look at Brewster's post about IBI, you will see that Casa welcomed he to LMH. So both of us assumed, wrongly, that it was her first post. If we had looked we'd have seen she was signing up for ABB previously. And her ETV number is on her website though it looks different to others I have seen.
Marks

Post by Marks »

LMH's two 'superior' members jointly laying in to a new member for no reason. Come on you two, just answer the questions without diving in making your usual assumptions that you two are the only ones doing everything legal.

TheBrewster - just ignore them. Hope all goes well for you.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hello TheBrewster, this is a super resource and I find the best thing is to just wait for the sensible answers to come through and ignore the distractions.
Many years ago we booked a holiday in Tenerife and found ourselves next to a building site. On another occasion, we arrived at a B&B in a pub to find they were having a wedding reception immediately under our bedroom. In neither case were we warned beforehand about noise and we were pretty mad. As others have suggested, I strongly advise you find out from the building site how long the heavy stuff will be going on for and if you want happy guests let them know. This is tough, but I can assure you, you will be much more relaxed about it all if you have been honest and your guests will really appreciate your care. Who knows, they may be out all day and only back in the evening and so it won't worry them.
If they say they will come but want a discount, then you have a decision to make. Better forewarned than having them arrive and then decide to move out!
Good luck.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Marks wrote:LMH's two 'superior' members jointly laying in to a new member for no reason. Come on you two, just answer the questions without diving in making your usual assumptions that you two are the only ones doing everything legal.

TheBrewster - just ignore them. Hope all goes well for you.
Extortionary comment....Where did I diss them?
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

SPJ Thank you for making this constructive addition to the discussion. I should never have got involved in this noise issue. I really was trying to help Brewster with her issue over the IBI receipts.
MARCS I have already apologised for anything that may have upset Brewster. On the other hand, despite my disquiet with Casa, I have to say that he NEVER made any comment to Brewster that was anything other than courteous and well intended. I accept your criticism but you have also fired off without properly reading the thread.
If anyone else feels like contributing please keep it in the tone of SPJ.
TheBrewster

Post by TheBrewster »

Thanks so much to the majority of the contributors who have given me advice.
The complaint went into the Town Hall today, and once they've inspected the site they will hopefully have some answers for us regarding time-frames etc.
But as you've all suggested I will be informing my guests about the disruption (not an email I'm looking forward to writing :( ) and take it from there.
I'm sat on the terrace now and my brain is literally jangling round in my head it's so loud! But it's definitely a pool they're digging out so fingers crossed that won't take too long.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Glad you're moving forward with things.
I have been looking over our conversations and I must confess that between myself and Casa and the confusing messages, for you on the receiving end it came close to cyber bullying.
I am not a bully, more of a cuddly Grampa, but my posts on your noise topic had one or two caustic comments. I get on great with all my neighbours (except the seagulls). I don't really know what was in my head.
Then there was a sarky comment about knowing the difference between IBI and ETV. It was aimed at me but you took it on the chin.
Anyway, hope the noise becomes less excruciating and hope you find the IBI receipt and get into Spain/hol.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

It’s such a shame, your place looks beautiful. I’ll bet you have been in tears over the noise.
I can’t offer any advice, other than a listening ear and a lot of sympathy. Please keep us informed with what happens.

With regards to your email to this year’s guests, if you can possibly ring any of them, I’m sure that would help, to give them the heads up about the email and why you are sending it. You should get a more positive response that way (or at least less hostile). You can promise to keep them informed of developments, and as you say, hopefully matters will improve more quickly than you first thought if they manage to make good progress with the work.
CSE

Post by CSE »

CB you are just keeping this going. My comment was not snarly, it was comedy. It was funny because you got muddled up in issues that that where not related. You even used a phase which had to be explained and I made light of that with the image of the flying ducks.
So twice I made fun of your errors. So what? You was not grumpy at them. It fact it was others who took those posts another way and accused me
I commend your actions staying coo and apologising for the mix up. At least you are more of a man(I hope that is not going to upset those that think everything should be gender neutral) than some others who made errors. Those that have are still to write an apology.

I am a bit puzzled as to why the building permissions are not at the offices you visited and that a site inspection is needed.
We once denounced some works to SEPRONA. When we were shown the permissions they were stamped the day SEPRONA turned up to talk to us about the issues. Thus we could not stop the works, but we did manage for them to drastically reduce the hours of operation.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Oh dear, I have a vacant plot next to me and worried for years that they would start building.

In your case I would speak with the building boss to get a timeframe. The pecker is the noisy bit, then dust, lorries, builders shouting....

I would draft a few emails to prewarn guests of the pecker, then a few less severe ones re dust, lorries etc.

You could offer the guests an option to cancel now, or a discount. Tbh i think i would write off this year as guests can easily become litigous.

Sorry anyway, best of luck.
TheBrewster

Post by TheBrewster »

Hi everyone.
Sorry to have not responded. My email notifications seem to be off!
Zebedee - thankyou. Very sound advice. I will indeed telephone our guests and explain that an email in imminent. God I am dreading it! :(
gardenboy-I'm home in the UK now. We did try to speak to the foreman but they have now gated and blocked off the site, and along with the unbelievable noise, it's impossible to get their attention.
I will give the option to cancel but I know that all flights have been booked, and I also know they will struggle to get anything as big as ours for the price that we offer.
So a discount will be the way to go.
It's a tricky one. We just can't afford to write off this years guests.
We measured the sound on our terrace and it was 85 decibels. Impossible to even hold a conversation.
I am banking on the very noisy stuff to be over by the time of first clients arrive. They have been digging since January! If not then we are scuppered. I wouldn't expect anyone to spend a minute of their holiday in that enviroment.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

If the decibels are over the accepted limit, the people to go to are usually the "Policia Local". At least in our town that's the case. They have a decibel metre and they prosecute.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Well done. If it is a pool you should get an idea of timeframe for the pecker, then a few days of gunniting at a later date. Good luck phoning them it will come as a shock.

Lovely website btw.