Being new to letting, need some advice

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
keaco

Being new to letting, need some advice

Post by keaco »

I have just taken a reservation (from the Phillipines), for 30 days via Bking . com. Now while I am happy to accept the booking, I am worried that it could be some sort of scam as a few weeks ago I had a 28 day reservation subsequently cancelled a few days later. I cant see how anyone could make out of this scam, other then me loosing out if it was cancelled.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Keaco

How do you take payment on booking.com and what are your cancellation policies? We ask for full payment upfront (They are usually late bookings). We also offer no cancellations. I am sure we get a few less bookings that way but we only use it to fill quite times.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

When we started with bc, we had the same problem which was kindly answered by another LMHer... it's not a scam as such, but they're using you to get a visa as to get the visa, they have to demonstrate they have accommodation booked. Hence the cancellation a few days/weeks later.

It's infuriating, but I'm not sure how to prevent it, other than, perhaps blocking a day a week off on bc so they can't book the 2 weeks/month they need. I can see that might not work if you're not a B&B though. Insisting on credit card details might put off some people too?
keaco

Post by keaco »

on checking, it seems that you no longer need to show proof of accommodation in order to get a UK tourist visa. But I nhave tightened my cancellation policy.
Maybe it's for real. I'll let you know.