Sky TV/Broadband

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Cam

Sky TV/Broadband

Post by Cam »

Hi,

I am new to the Holiday Let game. We are in the process of buying our first property that we intend to use as a holiday let.

In preparation for getting the property ready for letting I intended to install Sky TV & Broadband. I was speaking on the phone to a sales person to decide what broadband speed I could get, etc. and casually mentioned that I was intending to use the property as a holiday let. At that point the sales person said that they could not allow me to install Sky in a holiday let because of data protection issues. The example they gave me was that someone letting the property could use the installed phone line to make a call. I could then log on at some later date and view what calls and to where they had made them.

I did point out that there would not be a phone in the property and their response was, "They could bring a phone with them"

At this point I wished them well and ended the call.

Has anyone had similar issues with Sky?

Next time I call them I won't mention the holiday let !!

Thanks

Cam
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

If you read the terms and conditions of the Sky broadband:-
2.1 Sky Broadband is for private use by you and members of your household only.
Sky do a business product which is much more expensive.

You can break all your agreements, but if you are found out and your guests have been doing something illegal, you personally will be likely to be in much more serious trouble.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Cam,
I’m not sure where your property is (UK??).

Do you really need Sky ? We have freesat tv which provides extra channels at no monthly cost, and smart TVs/DVDs which guests can use to log on to their own Netflix, Amazon accounts etc.

You should not have any problem with sourcing broadband for a holiday let, just go for the best deal for unlimited high speed broadband that you can get in your area.

(Oh how I wish I had a £ for every time Data Protection is used as an excuse not to do something that is not prohibited by law. I would not be in the holiday lettering business, but relaxing in my private island surrounded by servants..... :D :D

The Sky TCs are a different matter as they are set up to protect Sky, and their rep missed an opportunity to seek you a more expensive product because he doesn’t understand the legislation.)
Cam

Post by Cam »

zebedee wrote:Hello Cam,
I’m not sure where your property is (UK??).

Do you really need Sky ? We have freesat tv which provides extra channels at no monthly cost, and smart TVs/DVDs which guests can use to log on to their own Netflix, Amazon accounts etc.

You should not have any problem with sourcing broadband for a holiday let, just go for the best deal for unlimited high speed broadband that you can get in your area.

(Oh how I wish I had a £ for every time Data Protection is used as an excuse not to do something that is not prohibited by law. I would not be in the holiday lettering business, but relaxing in my private island surrounded by servants..... :D :D

The Sky TCs are a different matter as they are set up to protect Sky, and their rep missed an opportunity to seek you a more expensive product because he doesn’t understand the legislation.)
I think I have come to this conclusion already. Freesat and a smart TV/DVD player with reasonable broadband should keep most people happy :)
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I started out with freesat and a simple blu-ray / dvd player 4 years ago now and nobodies commented or complained at all.

No landline phone points at all
sparkJS

Post by sparkJS »

I had a similar problem with Sky. I bought a holiday let that already had Sky and therefore I had no choice but to continue as the guests had been promised. When I called Sky they confused me by saying I couldn't have Sky. before realising that I actually should be speaking to Sky. Business.

Eventually they connected me for £30 a month but all I got really was Sky One as all the other channels are available on Freeview. So I cancelled and connected FreeSat. There hasn't been a comment since from guests.
MG
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

From BT terms and conditions for their broadband.
a.Each service is just for you and your household for personal use (meaning that it should not be used for any trade, business or profession). You're responsible for how each service and the equipment are used.
Aren't all providers the same?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

When we moved to BT high speed broadband they knew it was a holiday cottage - we told them repeatedly as we had to be there several times whilst men fitted refitted and checked again the same wiring.

Nothing was said by the office when we were grumbling to them (remote owners) about their appointment system and why it was difficult for us to sort out availability.

We moved to a different provider when their initial contract offer expired and our current provider also knows the property is a holiday cottage.
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

Thanks Zebedee,

It would appear that (as is often the case), there is a difference between what is in the small print and what happens in the real world.

:)