Teething troubles and first guests arriving tomorrow!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Running Chrissy

Teething troubles and first guests arriving tomorrow!

Post by Running Chrissy »

Gah why do things that were working properly decide to go wrong the day before we go live??!!

Our first guests are arriving tomorrow. Housekeeper went in today to do final check and drop off welcome pack. He reports the landing lights are not working despite being fine earlier in the week. There are two lights and both not working but fuse is not tripped so I can’t think what it can be.

Contacted our electrician but he’s not replied (has never been very reliable tbh). Housekeeper says he has someone he can contact too. We live 250 miles away so are not on scene.

I can only hope the guests will be understanding if we are still trying to sort when they arrive.

Feeling stressed!!
Making a start in North Cornwall &#127754;
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Please don't get stressed. I know! Easier said than done! But honestly people are much more understanding than you'd think.
The key thing is informing guests. So tell them what has gone wrong/not working, tell them what you're doing to fix it and....if you feel the situation warrants it...give them a token such as a bottle of wine to show you care about them having a great holiday.

On a practical level, do you have a plug on the landing? If its working could you plug one of those night light things in? Or perhaps supply a torch?

Best of luck. I remember how nervous I was prior to my first guests. We had NO electricity at all in the house (long story) and only got the live connection an hour before they arrived. :shock:

Mousie
x
Running Chrissy

Thank you Mousie, I’m finding it rather hard not being on the spot.
I don’t know whether i need to involve the letting agency to contact the guest or just keep with housekeeper...
Guess I should let the agency know so they know the situ in case guests go to them first.

Nyargh, I know this will become second nature but right now I feel like a new parent who doesn’t know which end is which!
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I have a movement operated night light/torch that plugs into a socket on my landing.

It was £5 from somewhere like B&Q. Any chance you can get your hands on one?

I'd be honest with your guests - say they are your first and ask them for some detailed private feedback. Most will be delighted to be asked and will also cut you a bit of slack!

It's tough not being on site. I'm 4 hours from mine and have learnt a thing or two the hard way ( like having a second keysafe so that tradesman can go in to fix something like this whilst the guests are out - just make sure you tell them that they're coming and for the guests that lock themselves out.... )
Running Chrissy

Thank you Cymraes, fingers crossed.
Second key safe you say... I see the logic in that!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Cymraes wrote: I'd be honest with your guests - say they are your first and ask them for some detailed private feedback. Most will be delighted to be asked and will also cut you a bit of slack!
This.
Apologise for the initial teething problems, and get the guests involved with your new venture and ask for as much private feedback and suggestions as possible.
Running Chrissy

Ok turns out it was because there is a bit of a delay before the lights come on, something to do with dimmer switches.

Still good to have the housekeeper find that out because obv guests will think the same. So we need to organise labels or something (I was never big fan of the starship enterprise lighting panel but my husband agreed it all with electrician so I butted out... )

Anyway thank you for advice, will still contact guests to let them know they are first ones. And also it’s good to test the support system actually does work from afar.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Very best of luck. I agree with the others, the first few times can be nerve-wracking but I'm sure your guests will just step over the threshold and go "wow" - your cottage is gorgeous - and anything else will pale into insignificance. Just a shame you won't be there to hear that. It's one of the joys of being on site, to see how much people love their stay. I hope you have a guest book where people can write their comments.
I remember one of my early experiences. Went down an hour before our guests were due to arrive for a final look round to find a bird had got in and pooped on a pillow and that a mouse had found the home-made bread that was beautifully laid out under a clean tea-towel! Thank heavens I'd checked.
Running Chrissy

Oh my god SPJ, what a near miss!!
Thank you for your kind words about the cottage, I hope they will love it too. It's easy to just home in on the things that are worrying me and miss the bigger picture.
Running Chrissy

Thank you again for your advice to contact the guests. I did it anyway, even though I was happy that the lights were working, as I just wanted to give them a chance to feedback if anything was amiss.
They are delighted with the cottage and say they wish they could stay a second week! Overjoyed and RELIEVED!!
Have poured a G&T
:D
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Running Chrissy wrote:Thank you again for your advice to contact the guests. I did it anyway, even though I was happy that the lights were working, as I just wanted to give them a chance to feedback if anything was amiss.
They are delighted with the cottage and say they wish they could stay a second week! Overjoyed and RELIEVED!!
Have poured a G&T
Well done. Not surprised, your cottage looks immaculate.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Running Chrissy wrote:Thank you again for your advice to contact the guests. I did it anyway, even though I was happy that the lights were working, as I just wanted to give them a chance to feedback if anything was amiss.
Have poured a G&T
Hold on to that memory - it won’t be long before it’s your turn to help reassure another owner welcoming their first guest!
Running Chrissy

Genuinely looking forward to that day Greenbarn :D
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Glad all is well!

The first guests are nerve-racking - It does get easier.