Fire extinguishers

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
stevetansley

Fire extinguishers

Post by stevetansley »

I am presently completing a new build 2 bedroom furnished holiday cottage and seek other peoples experience of what type of fire extinguishers to use. I am inclined to go for a water based appliance though not sure what capacity I should go for. Any experience/comments greatly appreciated.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Water based fire extinguishers could be dangerous if discharged onto burning electrical equipment or cooking fat fires.
I initially bought a powder fire extinguisher for our holiday let but later had misgivings due to the damage the powder could cause to the contents of the house, especially if the extinguisher was discharged accidentally. It could also be a human health hazard if the powder was inhaled.
I got rid of the powder fire extinguisher and subsequently bought a fire blanket, no worries regarding accidental discharge and appears perfectly adequate for the containment of small fires in the house.
Keep your powder dry.
peyre blanque

Post by peyre blanque »

Fire blanket an essential for the kitchen - for the rest it's well worth talking to your local fire prevention officer: they're very helpful in explaining what's best for all contingencies.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

CSE wrote:It is obligatory to undertake H&S reports when letting a property.
https://www.visitbritain.org/business-a ... ty-general
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ing-guests
The documents quoted by CSE are both worth a read - the second one is a must as you are deemed to have read and followed it as part of providing guest accommodation.

Part of the Fire Risk Assessment includes consideration of the number and type of interlinked and possibly hardwired smoke alarms you must have. If it’s being built as an FHL have your local Building Control made any specifications? Safety requirements for an FHL are more far-reaching than for a normal domestic dwelling.

As for fire extinguishers, foam are the most universal and the foaming agent makes them suitable for electrical fires (but check with the manufacturer or supplier); however many authorities suggest not putting in extinguishers as they can encourage people to “have a go” rather than evacuate (and you’ll need to think about how guests can get out without having to find a key). It’s worth seeking professional advice that you can rely on in court if the worst ever happens.
A fire blanket in or right by the kitchen is a must.
You’ll also need some form of emergency lighting.
Pengman

Post by Pengman »

I would employ a fire safety firm to carry out an independant inspection, then implement what they advise. A lot of them carry fire extinguishers and fire blankets in the van, often at good prices too. As far as emergency lighting is concerned, mine advised me to provide torches, and small torches on lanyards loop neatly over the ends of many bedheads - but remember to include the checking of batteries in the turnaround checklist.
I came, I saw, I bought it.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Pengman wrote:I would employ a fire safety firm to carry out an independant inspection, then implement what they advise. A lot of them carry fire extinguishers and fire blankets in the van, often at good prices too. As far as emergency lighting is concerned, mine advised me to provide torches, and small torches on lanyards loop neatly over the ends of many bedheads - but remember to include the checking of batteries in the turnaround checklist.
How is a guest who is unfamiliar with the property, won't have read instructions when there is light to do so, going to find the said torch in the dark? You can get rechargeable torches which plug in and come on automatically when there is a power cut which might be a better option.
Pengman

Post by Pengman »

Excellent point new timber - found one too - circa 15 pounds a throw
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safety-Failure ... 403&sr=8-5
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Your emergency lighting must be powerful enough to illuminate all stairs through thick smoke and any other hazards people may have to get past when scared and unfamiliar with a property.
Are you sure that something that doubles up as a night light (usually a soft glow in the dark so others are not woken if a door is opened) is sufficiently bright enough to pierce through smoke?? Personally, I would be a bit sceptical.

There is a BS standard that emergency lighting must comply to.
Edited to add - having just looked again at your Amazon product, there is a significant difference between emergency lighting when a fire occurs, and what is ok to use in a power cut.

I have been in a fire - many many years ago. I was staying in workplace accommodation. The fire started elsewhere in the building. The smell of smoke doesn’t wake you - it is the sound of the fire alarm that does that. Once awake I was appalled at how much smoke was in my room. I then had to negotiate corridors and stairs to escape.

Please don’t be tempted to cut corners on emergency lighting, some one could be badly hurt falling, or worse, preventable things could happen. Would you be able to live with that?
Pengman

Post by Pengman »

Thanks Zebedee, but it's not my Amazon Product, its Amazon's Amazon product - I'm not promoting or advocating it in any way, just indicating that the type of product newtimber mentioned is actually available. However, having paid a fee to a qualified Fire Consultant who advised me in a report he issued, to provide torches, if that's good enough for him then surely it should be good enough for me? The main advantage I see in going one better and providing something like the Amazon product is that I can then remove the 'check torch batteries' line from my cleaner's check list. And the fact that we're having this discussion is evidence that I, you and newtimber, are taking fire safety seriously.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Pengman wrote:t. And the fact that we're having this discussion is evidence that I, you and newtimber, are taking fire safety seriously.
We do have emergency lighting but are a business and our holiday cottages were purpose built. Most holiday cottages I have stayed in do not have emergency lighting or indeed even a torch, or up-to-date fire extinguishers. My home does not have emergency lighting and thinking about it, where is the torch ...
CSE

Post by CSE »

Written above is some are taking H&S issues serious, but have you complied with the legal obligations?
More links from an insurance company.
https://www.schofields.ltd.uk/blog/5006 ... ssessment/
https://www.schofields.ltd.uk/blog/4060 ... gislation/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.