Smar Tv?

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Smar Tv?

Post by Sam V »

Ive received a suggestion from a returning guest that a smart tv would be useful as my current tv has limited UK TV and guests may like to watch Netflix, etc.

Im not hugely enthusiastic with this suggestion, but could consider it.

Is it worth doing, or even possible to watch uk netflix, etc in PT?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I’ve no idea what Netflix you could access from Portugal, but a much cheaper option is a Smart DVD player. You can get them for about £40 in Curry’s PCWorld and you can access Netflix, use Amazon sticks and access catchup tv on them. That’s what we have in one room at our property as there was nothing wrong with the existing tv.

Edited to add - they can only access their own accounts via a smart DVD player.
Last edited by zebedee on Tue May 14, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Use a TV that allows the guests to use their own streaming dongle.
You will still need a decently fast connection to the internet.
If guest use their own dongle they can use their own accounts to watch what ever they want.
Even with a smart TV you may need a IP changer too.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Just a comment on Zebedee's otherwise sensible post, your guests won't be able to watch catch-up TV in Portugal unless you are running a VPN, preferably a fast one. Also, check what software the DVD player is preloaded with, as it makes life easier for your visitors (and we all know guests leave their brains behind when they pack their suitcases!)

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Thank you Mols, good points.
OrangeBlossom

Re: Smar Tv?

Post by OrangeBlossom »

Sam V wrote:Ive received a suggestion from a returning guest that a smart tv would be useful as my current tv has limited UK TV and guests may like to watch Netflix, etc.

Is it worth doing, or even possible to watch uk netflix, etc in PT?
The fact that you say you have limited UK TV suggests that you are on some kind of a package, like the one I have with Vodafone.
In fact, because I have rented a 'box' from them, Netfilix is available as a channel through their system. My TV is not a smart TV but I can log into my UK Netflix account. In terms of what is available on Netflix it is only whatever is on offer in Portugal at the time; that includes loads of English language stuff and most of the programmes I watched when in Portugal last week had alternative English language sound tracks. As to whether they can get certain UK favourite programmes, I wouldn't know, you'd have to take a look at Netflix pt.

I recently looked into changing my TV/internet/phone package and was told that I could get Netflix via Meo too but not if I chose NOS. However, Netflix is available only if you have the box, not if you subscribe to the very basic service that doesn't allow you to record programmes etc.

When I first had the package with vodafone, Netfilx wasn't available so if you have vodafone you may have to update your channels to get it.

When it wasn't available through my package I did indeed use a dongle which made Neflix available but as one of the other respondents said, you can't get catchup without a vpn and even some vpns don't reliably let you access catchup tv as the BBC etc are keen on shutting down that route. If you do have vpn you can then fool netfix into thinking you are in the uk so could then get access to whatever was availabe on netflix in the uk (or indeed any other country you set it to).
Martha

Post by Martha »

We do, it is incredibly useful. An Apple TV box also works or a smart DVD player sounds like a good way to go as well.
Our internet isn't great and it's still OK for streaming TV.

The big use we get is for kid's programmes. Sure it's an outdoor destination but it means everyone can get a bit of peace over breakfast!

Handy for everyone of course. Netflix will generally keep everyone happy for a week or so but but I do find you need to make alternative suggestions around big sporting events. A free trial of a VPN and screen mirroring from a laptop can work very well. I wrote up instructions for this after having a car full of people turn up, late and desperate to watch the World Cup! So now I make it clear in the pre-arrival email that we have only Netflix, and include a link to how to get and use a free VPN for a week, plus a list of places here that screen live sport.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Apple TV Box, or even Amazon Firestick (£39.99) will make any TV into a Smart TV.

Two issues to watch out for:

1. Is your internet speed fast enough. These devices (or even a smart TV) will way a minimum of 3.5 mbps but 6+ is in reality the best. I have 12 mbps and still get some glitches.

2. Remind your guests to logout before they leave. Sounds obvious, but with say, Amazon Prime for example, the following guests could in theory rack up quite a bill in paid-for movies.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !