Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners


 
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Cummon You Lot, Get your Fingers Out
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Bookings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stewart



Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 125
Location: Fife, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Cummon You Lot, Get your Fingers Out Reply with quote

This is the best forum for Holiday Letters I have found. As a newbie I found the archive really useful. BUT (400 bookings on) the contributions are declining in quality and quantity IMHO. Pass the Ralgex round, rub it in and re-start contributing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ianh100



Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 573
Location: Sherborne Dorset

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stewart
I think a lot of the discussions have moved to facebook groups, they are a little easier to access on mobile devices that many use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stewart



Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 125
Location: Fife, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame as these platforms create more heat than light IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-Chris-



Joined: 13 May 2019
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:
Shame as these platforms create more heat than light IMO.

Agreed and less intrusive with the fb ads!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cymraes



Joined: 07 Jul 2015
Posts: 438
Location: North Wales

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Chris- wrote:
Stewart wrote:
Shame as these platforms create more heat than light IMO.

Agreed and less intrusive with the fb ads!


Are there ads on Facebook? I never get them Very Happy
_________________
Caro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-Chris-



Joined: 13 May 2019
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymraes wrote:
-Chris- wrote:
Stewart wrote:
Shame as these platforms create more heat than light IMO.

Agreed and less intrusive with the fb ads!

Are there ads on Facebook? I never get them Very Happy

There's loads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cymraes



Joined: 07 Jul 2015
Posts: 438
Location: North Wales

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Chris- wrote:
Cymraes wrote:
-Chris- wrote:
Stewart wrote:
Shame as these platforms create more heat than light IMO.

Agreed and less intrusive with the fb ads!

Are there ads on Facebook? I never get them Very Happy

There's loads.


Not if you use the browser extension from FBpurity.com. Gets rid of all of them, allows you to hide annoying features and apply filters so you get to see what you want to see rather than what facebook wants you to see!
_________________
Caro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-Chris-



Joined: 13 May 2019
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymraes wrote:
-Chris- wrote:
Cymraes wrote:
-Chris- wrote:
Stewart wrote:
Shame as these platforms create more heat than light IMO.

Agreed and less intrusive with the fb ads!

Are there ads on Facebook? I never get them Very Happy

There's loads.

Not if you use the browser extension from FBpurity.com. Gets rid of all of them, allows you to hide annoying features and apply filters so you get to see what you want to see rather than what facebook wants you to see!

Yeah, I know, those browser addons have been available for a while - some of the ads I need to see though (marketing) ! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stewart



Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 125
Location: Fife, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drifting off topic? Maybe the question is partially answered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cymraes



Joined: 07 Jul 2015
Posts: 438
Location: North Wales

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:
Drifting off topic? Maybe the question is partially answered.


Probably a combination of FB and the fact that we know that the OTAs spy on this forum. The public can read it too so you need to be mindful of what you say and how it comes over or could be misinterpreted.

It's easier to be honest behind closed facebook doors. At least you have the illusion of privacy and the better owners groups vet members before allowing them in.
_________________
Caro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-Chris-



Joined: 13 May 2019
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymraes wrote:
Stewart wrote:
Drifting off topic? Maybe the question is partially answered.

Probably a combination of FB and the fact that we know that the OTAs spy on this forum. The public can read it too so you need to be mindful of what you say and how it comes over or could be misinterpreted.

It's easier to be honest behind closed facebook doors. At least you have the illusion of privacy and the better owners groups vet members before allowing them in.

I have to say, I totally prefer these types of groups / forums (usually PHPBB).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stewart



Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 125
Location: Fife, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added a comment to Facebook group Airbnb Hosts UK.

Sure there is plenty of traffic but there is more "noise" than Heathrow. Too much poorly considered contribution, and following a thread (if spread over different posters is impossible unless I'm missing something).

A great platform for an instant wee rant rather than a incremental considered discussion. I really do not want to waste time digging through the crap.

Ref OTA spies. Is that really a threat? These players surely realise that if they go for people on these forums they lose extremely valuable host marketing intelligence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-Chris-



Joined: 13 May 2019
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, that's always been my view of social media as well. What's OTA?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stewart



Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 125
Location: Fife, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On The Attack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-Chris-



Joined: 13 May 2019
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:
On The Attack

Thanks, On The Attack spies?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Bookings All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group