Marble and sunscreen don't mix

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sanchisimo

Marble and sunscreen don't mix

Post by Sanchisimo »

We recently had the bath in our 1 bed apartment replaced with a big walk in shower - much more useful in a hot country and in a property used for city breaks. How pleased I was when one of the affordable options for the shower base was made-to-measure white marble. It's beautiful in the photographs.

You can see where this is going can't you all. Come a recent changeover and the white is now somewhat tinged with orange. I can only put this down to the dratted sunscreen - this time one that has a bronzing tint to it. I'm guessing this from personal experience where the sunscreen I bought on a recent break left a white fluffy towel a similar shade (yes, I did think I had washed it off in the shower but this waterproof stuff is like tar).

Any ideas? I've tried an overnight poultice of bicarbonate paste but no joy.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Have you tried a kitchen degreaser spray?
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

Yes. It's in the marble not on it. On reflection, marble is not such a wise choice!
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Our showers are tiled with marble (base and walls) and we have marble kitchen worktops.

Try https://www.agerul.es/tienda/quitagrasa ... verizador/ or similar, perhaps using a washing up brush, if it's fake tan and/or sunscreen. You could also try a solvent such as white spirit or acetone as a component of your poultice.

Are you sure it's not rust?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Not tanning cream on marble, but in my case it was quite bad rust stains, so something similar I would think. Though dismissing it as an old wives tale, I was told to try lemon juice to cover the marble surface followed by course or fine salt. I did this, using liberal quantities of both, and it worked without any scrubbing. I left it there for a day or two before hosing it off. This was a for a horizontal surface; for a vertical surface I guess the process would need to be modified.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Not tanning cream on marble, but in my case it was quite bad rust stains, so something similar I would think. Though dismissing it as an old wives tale, I was told to try lemon juice to cover the marble surface followed by course or fine salt. I did this, using liberal quantities of both, and it worked without any scrubbing. I left it there for a day or two before hosing it off. This was a for a horizontal surface; for a vertical surface I guess the process would need to be modified.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

Thanks everyone.