What would/do you do?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
GillianF

What would/do you do?

Post by GillianF »

Given the extreme heat that Europe has had recently (and more often) and the bans and restrictions on use of water I wonder what swimming pool owners do about topping up the swimming pool.

In unrestricted times I have advised guests that they may need to top up the pool and explain the procedure, the level they need, the hosepipe etc. No-one has ever minded doing this and see it as part of the 'fun' or just a task to keep the pool functioning at its best for their benefit.

But, in times of restrictions I don't mention topping up the pool. Obviously, a pool loses a certain amount of water over time (particularly when it is very hot) and once it drops below the level of the skimmers it isn't cleaning properly.

So, what do you do? How do you explain it to guests? What is their reaction?

So far we've avoided problems but I am beginning to live in fear of it …………...
farley

Post by farley »

We are fortunate that we have not been banned from topping up our pool or watering the garden. There are restrictions on time of day we can do so. This does mean very early morning watering for us.

I would be concerned about pool water not being high enough to go through the skimmers, water quality is bound to drop dramatically and would become a health risk.

In our hamlet our pool would also be a vital resource for firefighters if , god forbid, there was a fire.

I don’t have any advice , just offer commiserations for a difficult situation. Have you checked the exact situation with the Mayor yet?
farley

Post by farley »

GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I haven't spoken to our Mairie specifically but have heard on the radio about restrictions on filling pools, not watering gardens between 8h and 20h and not washing cars etc.

I'm asking guests not to run the dishwasher or washing machine unless full and my friend who also has rental accommodation is asking them not to clean teeth with a tap running and if they are non-French guests to take their dirty washing home with them ……………..
farley

Post by farley »

Good tip re asking guests to restrict water usage. We had a dear soul last week who put just a few items of underwear in the washing machine! So simple just to handwash.
The link I posted is very useful for keeping 'up to date' with whats going on restriction wise. The areas affected are very well defined , this is useful where two areas that are close together have different restrictions (as often happens with us).
Hope that makes sense.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

To get round this, I installed an automatic top up valve next to one of the skimmers, works like a WC cistern. Never been told that this is illegal. It can't be seen as it is under a trap and avoids hosepipes and guest interference.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

oasiscouple wrote:To get round this, I installed an automatic top up valve next to one of the skimmers, works like a WC cistern. Never been told that this is illegal. It can't be seen as it is under a trap and avoids hosepipes and guest interference.
When I have the money, I’ll be having one of these installed for our pool as it saves me from having to top up every other day. The pool was originally fitted with one, but the previous owner removed it for reasons that were never really made clear to me.