How long should grouting last?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
joddle

How long should grouting last?

Post by joddle »

We have had our pool now for around 22 years and then it was second hand. Around 5 years ago it needed some maintenance and in that process was emptied and totally rerouted by a local pool company. However now in just one place about 1M sq it is obvious the grouting needs attention again - and having lasted around 15 years last time this seems a bit premature! Should we go back to the company and insist they to do that part again ? or is 5 years too late to do that? Its going to cost anyway as we will have to empty at least 2/3 of the pool to reveal the suspect area!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Much depends on how well the old grout was removed & cleaned back before regrouting. A full rakeout will last far longer than a cosmetic top up. Better still if you use full depth epoxy grout.
To be fair 5 years is a fair amount of time to be going back to the maintenance firm.
Probably prudent to ensure that theres no problem with ground water ingress (if in ground pool) that's affecting that particular area. My opinion only but a small(ish) patch of regrout failing locally after 5 years is probably not too bad.
Certainly here in Greece the guarantee will last as long as it takes them to pull out of the driveway once paid!
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

COYS wrote:Certainly here in Greece the guarantee will last as long as it takes them to pull out of the driveway once paid!
+1 :lol: