Lond Distance Host's reviews of Guests

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Pengman

Lond Distance Host's reviews of Guests

Post by Pengman »

How does a host review a guest when they've had limited contact with them?

We're in our first year as an Airbnb host and so far reviewing guests has been no problem because we've driven a return trip of 150 miles for each changeover and, although we've met comparatively few of our 25 guests to date, we've seen with our own eyes how they've left the place and been able to review accordingly (generally very highly I have to say). However, we're about to search for and appoint a cleaner so, unless we can expect a cleaner to tell us their thoughts (unlikely they'd want to?), the only experience we will have of guests is their pre-stay emails and any communication they may have had with us during their stay (comparatively little on the basis of our first 25 guests). So do we base our review on this alone and nothing else? What do other 'long distance' hosts do?
I came, I saw, I bought it.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

We ask the cleaner when we're not around personally. They are only too happy to tell us if the place has been left in a bad way - why wouldn't they? They don't want to clean a place that's been left a mess anymore than you would and won't want such guests coming back.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I would suggest that, unless there is something negative to say, then the review of the guest should be wholly positive, they paid, they turned up, they left without leaving a problem behind = perfect guest.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Dusty wrote:I would suggest that, unless there is something negative to say, then the review of the guest should be wholly positive, they paid, they turned up, they left without leaving a problem behind = perfect guest.
So how does one rate the ones who ask if they can bring anything from UK for you (never having met), repair a faulty electrical socket (after discussion), invite you down to the cottage for supper and book for next year before they leave? :)
Pengman

Post by Pengman »

Dusty wrote:I would suggest that, unless there is something negative to say, then the review of the guest should be wholly positive, they paid, they turned up, they left without leaving a problem behind = perfect guest.
This makes a lot of sense to me, i.e. I only need to get comments from a cleaner when there is a problem. Makes life a lot simpler too. Thanks Dusty!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Most of the ABB reviews I leave for guests run like this: "We're off-site so never meet our guests in person, however, the cleaner reported that they left the house clean and tidy and we'd be happy to host them again". That way any future owners will know that our review has its limitations.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

We do the same as Joanna.
Our local help reports back when guests arrive and after they leave. So far that seems to work. If guests have been good communicators then I mention that in the review.
Fleur
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I do the same as Joanna and fleur
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Advice from Joanna and Fleur above makes a lot of sense, but if you're not quite so creative, then just LIE.

I think the whole idea of reviewing guests stinks anyway.

Most of my working life has been in services industries and the whole concept of publically reviewing my valuable customers makes me want to puke.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Bree

Post by Bree »

Completely agree e-Richard.
There is a series on Netflix "Black Mirror" that is based on "what might be" consequences of modern technologies one eposide is where every human is rated by everyone else they interact with on a daily basis & we all have a rating!!

We are not far off :(
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

e-richard wrote:Advice from Joanna and Fleur above makes a lot of sense, but if you're not quite so creative, then just LIE.
Rather than lie, don't give out bad reviews.

If the guest is bad, just don't review at all, otherwise they're great. No point in upsetting guests.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

If I've got any doubts about a guest then I just don't review them. We've been doing this for long enough to get a gut feeling about people. However, since we're off-site we usually have no cold hard facts to base a negative review on.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Pengman

Post by Pengman »

Thanks to everyone who replied. The problem has since evaporated as our housekeeper has been brilliant at texting me a one line report on the guests, and most guests have really looked after the place anyway. And I have taken the point on board about, rather then issue a bad review, not reviewing at all.