How to find a cleaner?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Pengman

How to find a cleaner?

Post by Pengman »

After 6 months of running a 2 bedroom, 4 person holiday let ourselves, the time has come to find and appoint a cleaner. We've not been looking foward to this because our sense of it is that it may be difficult to find the right person(s) or company at the right price and that, whatever standard of cleanliness they achieve, it will not measure up to the excellent standard we've achieved ourselves (although we'd loved to be proved wrong on this).

We're about to commence the procedure by posting the requirement on Facebook and (believe it or not) asking down the local pub. If that doesn't produce a result we'll expand the search accordingly down more formal avenues.

My natural instinct is to try to agree an all-inclusive lump sum price for every change over, no matter how many beds are occupied etc but a friend says no cleaner would agree to this and would expect to be paid by the hour, however we'd like to avoid this if we can. And we'd like to suggest to the cleaner that we work with them initially so we're all agreed on the standard we're trying to achieve, but how's that request likely to be received by a prospective cleaner? And could a cleaner be reasonably expected to pass on their comments on how the guests leave the place in order to help us with reviews and, if so, how can I 'systemise' this? (e.g. is anyone aware of a 'reporting app' or similar a cleaner could use to easily report back to us?). Any advice would be gratefully received.
I came, I saw, I bought it.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi
I pay my cleaner (and relief cleaner) a set fee for a changeover regardless of the number of beds occupied. They also do the linen, so if there are only 2 guests in my sleeps 4 they gain.

Start organising a comprehensive check list for your cleaner, that he/she can tick off. Many thinks will just be a “check”eg are the TVs switched off and not on standby?

Be prepared to work alongside the new recruit to show them your standards and pop in unexpectedly on changeover days.

Good luck.
Pengman

Post by Pengman »

Thanks to Zebedee for your reply. We found a great housekeeper via Facebook - had loads of responses and she stood out from the crowd. We pay her a lump sum regardless of occupancy and that includes laundry. We also allowed her dad to stay one night for free in November (pretty dead then anyway - November not her Dad :) and she's even donated a few items to the property. Have given her a nice Xmas bonus. Her husband's a builder and we may involve him in maintenance. It's very much a win-win.
I came, I saw, I bought it.