Do you text guests on arrival (long-distance owners)

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Running Chrissy

Do you text guests on arrival (long-distance owners)

Post by Running Chrissy »

Hi
Just started renting our place out this August after two years of renovations. We live 250 miles away so we are with an agency who handles the whole booking and have a house keeper in the village for cleaning and any emergencies.

My question is whether you recommend contacting the guests ourselves by text on arrival day. We haven’t done so far (apart from the first guest) as when we go on holiday we like to be left in peace. The last thing I want to do is hassle our guests as they arrive.

However, I know that people have different expectations so I’m just wondering what other long distance owners do.

I think it’s a bit different being with an agency as all the contact the guest has had so far will have been with them - and indeed, the agency would be the first port of call if there are any issues. So I’m trying to weigh up the pros and cons of being in direct contact.

Thanks as always
Chrissy
Making a start in North Cornwall 🌊
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I just left them to it, although they were free to contact me if they wanted. A couple did - one bad, one good. But generally our house manager would drop by after a day or so to check all was well.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I don't but they have had plenty of contact with me before arrival and they get my mobile number when I text them the access codes.
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you have personal details like phone numbers, address emails etc. Then you are liable to comply with GDPR. Less information you gather the less you have to comply. Are your guest happy with their data being passed on from the agency to you? Have they been asked?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Yes, I send a text asking if all is well after arrival. There is no agent invoked in my case, they have given me a number when I speak to them when they book specifically so that I can contact them.
I think it is a helpful thing to do, and something I started after joining the forum as so many other owners were doing this.

You get immediate feedback and chance to intervene early if they are struggling with anything (such as control of the central heating).
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Our local help receives the guests on arrival.

I usually send text or email the day after they arrive, just to check they have settled in and found all they need. Sometimes they reply sometimes they dont.
Fleur
Running Chrissy

Post by Running Chrissy »

Thanks for all the replies. I had been going to keep to our practice of not contacting, but since the dog pee incident (posted on Managing Your Property) I’ve been wonder if a welcome text will help the guests to see us as real people, not faceless owners.
Will give it a try on the next few and see what comes up.

CSE I had thought about GPDR but we get to the phone number via the online “owner portal” so as long as I don’t copy across to my files I think it should be ok (?!).
Making a start in North Cornwall 🌊
CSE

Post by CSE »

I ask again, have the guests agreed that their phone number can be used by others other than the persons/company charge of the website? There is something in the law about transferring information around.
IANAL but if you store the guests details on any device you have to apply GDPR.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I won't get involved in the toothy matter of GDPR but I would agree that making personal contact with a guest creates an image of where they are staying being someone's home, personal space etc. and not just a faceless money making enterprise.

In our experience, guests who understand we care take a bit more care themselves.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Gillian F
I am in total agreement.
Fleur
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

CSE wrote:If you have personal details like phone numbers, address emails etc. Then you are liable to comply with GDPR. Less information you gather the less you have to comply. Are your guest happy with their data being passed on from the agency to you? Have they been asked?
Surely it is the responsibility of the agency (data controller) to confirm with guests that they are happy to have their details shared with the owner??

Otherwise, why would the owner be given the phone number at all??? It would be the agency who has shared personal data inappropriately if the relevant agreements are not in place, not the person receiving the information.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Zebedee that is why I asked the question.
I ask again, have the guests agreed that their phone number can be used by others other than the persons/company charge of the website?
That is the second time and no conformation.
Have to note that it is sad that some websites or companies(or even owners) do not take privacy laws seriously.
Maybe the EU made a mistake in making this law.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

CSE wrote:Zebedee that is why I asked the question.
I ask again, have the guests agreed that their phone number can be used by others other than the persons/company charge of the website?
That is the second time and no conformation.
Have to note that it is sad that some websites or companies(or even owners) do not take privacy laws seriously.
Maybe the EU made a mistake in making this law.
Hello CSE, whilst I admire your passion and commitment to the privacy laws, I very gently need to point that we cannot be held accountable for the legal responsibilities of others. We need to allow people be responsible for their own legal requirements and actions.

If there are problems with compliance wit the GDPR by an agent, then sooner or later it will come to the attention of those who have the power to act.

If owners have inadvertently been given information, then no action will be taken against the owners, but the matter would be addressed with the organisation that did not process the data appropriately.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I would imagine that the transfer of contacts to an owner could be argued to fall under 'legitimate interest' anyway, under GDPR.

Anyway, I agree completely that the more personal touch is a good idea and no-one has ever complained, rather the reverse.

I send a text before arrival and if I'm not going to be around when they arrive for a day or so, I send another one saying 'Welcome to the chalet, hope you are enjoying yourselves, please don't hesitate to text me if you need anything and have a good week!"
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Ah, GDPR, where in order to respect our guests' privacy, it is no longer allowed to have their contact details....

Now when we receive the booking details a few weeks before the guests turn up, we just get the lead guests' phone number. The email address is no longer released and the agency won't hand it over due to privacy.

This means that we have to call each guest to ask their email address, so that we can then send them the arrival details and a lot of extra info on attractions, facilities in our village plus ask them when they expect to arrive, if they need a cot for their baby, etc, etc.

At least I no longer have to thank them for their booking via email, as I now say that over the phone :lol: