Winter Pool Covers - Advice Sought

For anything to do with the garden and pool
LotBoy47

Winter Pool Covers - Advice Sought

Post by LotBoy47 »

It’s getting to that time of year again where those with pool covers smile pityingly at those who don’t.

We don’t have one and the odd shape/configuration of our pool has caused 2 local pool shops to suck their teeth and tell me it’s not possible to cover it.

As a mechanically inclined chap with power tools and a stubborn streak, I’ve taken this as a challenge.

My main question is : As I’m here over the winter to clear leaves off the cover as required, do I need a heavy winter cover, or will a decent mesh one do the job?
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

I don't bother with a cover at all during the winter, for a couple of reasons.
1. I am resident so I can clean the leaves out of the pool with the net easily every couple of days if necessary, and with no cover I can easily see the quality of the pool water.
2. Having used covers in the dim distant past I have found that either the dirt goes through the mesh in those with a mesh down the middle and therefore does not keep the pool clean and for those with no mesh the weight of the rainwater on the top of the cover make it impossible to remove without the water, and therefore mess going back into the pool.
Simples !
What would Plato do ?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

bornintheuk wrote:I don't bother with a cover at all during the winter, for a couple of reasons.
1. I am resident so I can clean the leaves out of the pool with the net easily every couple of days if necessary, and with no cover I can easily see the quality of the pool water.
2. Having used covers in the dim distant past I have found that either the dirt goes through the mesh in those with a mesh down the middle and therefore does not keep the pool clean and for those with no mesh the weight of the rainwater on the top of the cover make it impossible to remove without the water, and therefore mess going back into the pool.
Simples !
Agreed. Drop the level a bit, fish out the leaves as and when and let Nature take her course. Besides, a sparkling blue pool in winter sun doesn’t half lift your spirits, even if it’s got icebergs in it! :lol:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

About time I updated this....

Because of the 3 metre stretch of vertical wall/toddler pool at one side of the pool, a winter cover isn’t going to work as I can’t get an overlap on this side.

Now the good news is that my leafy nemesis, the ancient willow that drops debris in the pool all autumn is being felled this week, opening up the entire shallow end of the pool. I’ve also purchased a new leaf scoop which makes keeping the pool leaf free a doddle.

After I’ve cleaned up after the arborists have finished, I’ll be winterising the pool.

One question, does anyone drain their sand filters and pumps over the winter? My pool equipment room is at the end of a converted stone grain store (now a gite) and is very unlikely to drop to anywhere near 0°C unless we have a mini ice age in SW France...

Do you run the pump at all over winter? Obviously, this might be difficult with the water levels below that of the skimmers.

To the best of my knowledge, the previous owners just switched everything off and decamped to Spain over the winter.

Thanks for all your help!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We run our pump for an hour or two every day during winter. This is sufficient to keep everything working nicely and also, because of the particular currents in my pool, shift all the debris into one corner where I can conveniently fish it out.
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I also run the pump for an hour each day (or rather each noght as its cheaper) through the winter, I think it keeps everything moving and I believe cleaner. It does mean the water cant be dropped below the bottom of the skimmers though
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

Thanks people, I’ll set the pump to run for an hour overnight once I winterise.

Since I’m resident all year, I’ll keep the water level high enough for the skimmers to run as I can always vacuum to waste for a bit if I need to drop the water level.