Complying with the EU Distance Selling Regulations

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Pengman

Complying with the EU Distance Selling Regulations

Post by Pengman »

I've recently signed up with the Eviivo booking system which looked good on paper. However, it doesn't allow me to set a cancellation policy that allows guests a 100% refund if they cancel within the14 day cooling off period as enshrined in the UK Consulmer Contract Regulations (CCR) which apparently is the latest enactment of the EU Distance Selling Regulations. All Eviivo's cancellation criteria work from the (back end) check in date and not from the (front end) booking date, so it's impossible to set a cancellation criteria going forward from the booking date. They say this is the industry standard as used by all the big online travel agents such as Booking.com, Airbnb etc. However, I know they're wrong about Airbnb because I currently use Airbnb and they provide a full refund if a guest cancels within 48 hours of booking, but that doesn't comply with the 14 days required by the CCR, so what's going on? I'm very tempted to implement my own 14 day cancellation rights with Eviivo and move to another system (there were other issues with Eviivo too). Can anybody recommend a booking system that has a good channel manager and that definitely does allow guests to get a full refund within 14 days of booking?
I came, I saw, I bought it.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

The UK Consumer Contract Regulations don't apply to holiday lets.
Pengman

Post by Pengman »

Thanks New Timber, You're right (I just checked) - excluded under clause 6(1)(d) - 'rental of accommodation for residential purposes'. Looks like I can carry on using Eviivo then, assuming I can get my other issues sorted.
I came, I saw, I bought it.