House Insurance

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thanks Thezan - much food for thought.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Murco

Post by Murco »

Hi all

Thanks everyone for your replies which have been very interesting.

oasiscouple - If you could provide details of your insurer in Ste Foy la Grande that would be great - Thank you

I do have a quote obtained from our estate agent in Duras from the insurance company next door to them. It's not a bad price but I would like to obtain one more quote to compare prices.

Thanks again for your help.

Ray
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Ditto what vacancesthezan said.

Our experience was that the local agency would not visit "not necessary, not usual".

We wrote to them specifying our buildings etc. etc. but, so far, it has done no good. The expert was underhand and aggressive. The insurance office would not talk to us and just sent a cheque which they considered would close the matter. We never saw the expert's report until our avocat asked for it, several times, and eventually went to their head office to get it. The report was not only 'unfair' it mis-represented buildings, square metres etc. etc. - full of errors we would never have known about.

If there is anything, no matter how small, which gives the insurers a reason not to pay then they will use it, sit back and wait for you to sue - and be prepared for great expense and a long wait to do so ………………..
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Murco wrote:oasiscouple - If you could provide details of your insurer in Ste Foy la Grande that would be great - Thank you

I do have a quote obtained from our estate agent in Duras from the insurance company next door to them. It's not a bad price but I would like to obtain one more quote to compare prices.
Ray, I have sent you a pm with the details.

For information, and perhaps for comparison, my annual premium for the house near Ste Foy la Grande is 415€. This is a 3 bedroom house with outbuildings on 4000m2 of land and includes the "pack jardin" covering the swimming pool, damage to fencing, trees falling etc. and summer rentals.

Then the premium for our 2 bedroom beach apartment at Port Leucate is 252€, also used for Holiday rentals. Three years ago we had a water damage claim and they paid out more than three times our annual premium.

Both premiums are paid by monthly installments.

Hope this helps.
Honi soit qui peu y boit