Christmas tips for decorations etc

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Running Chrissy

Christmas tips for decorations etc

Post by Running Chrissy »

We’re in our first year and have a Christmas booking. What are your top tips for decorations and any extra things needed at that time of year? We have a wreath, a pre-lit tree and I’ve just bought one of those dancing flame pillar candles. We will also put up decorations and ribbons.
The family coming to stay have a 9yo girl so I’m planning on putting a Christmas blanket and kids decorations in the twin room.
And a tin of Quality Street in the welcome pack. What have I forgotten?!
Making a start in North Cornwall &#127754;
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

As you are new to this site you may not know that this comes up very often at the time of year.

It is always/often pointed out that you need to be aware of religious beliefs. Do your guests celebrate Christmas as you know it? I had a cousin who was a Jehovah's Witness and, amongst other things, she did not like to receive or send 'traditional' Christmas cards with religious symbols etc.

Also, I remember my first Christmas as a child after my father had died suddenly earlier in the year and all the Christmas paraphernalia seemed inappropriate, hard to deal with. Consider whether your guests are spending Christmas away from home to be away from bad memories, sadness etc.

I don't mean to put a downer on your efforts but these are things you need to consider ……….
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I suggest one way to get round Gillian's point is to advertise that one's gite will be decorated with traditional Christmas decorations - eg show photos - then anyone for whom this is not appropriate will not book and anyone who does will be delighted.
Running Chrissy

Post by Running Chrissy »

Thanks Gillian, yes I agree. These guests requested a tree so I think I’m safe this year. However I admit I didn’t search the forum so I’ll do that now and prob delete the post.
Making a start in North Cornwall &#127754;
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

A few years ago we stayed in an Air bnb annexe one Christmas.
The (fake) tree had lights and was welcoming. The owners had left a gift for us as well (chocolates I think). That was all good but it was bitterly cold weather and more constant heating would have been welcome.
Fleur
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Best to have the conversation with your guests when they book.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Realistically, you have more than one booking over the Christmas period and you cannot be taking down and putting up Christmas decorations depending on guest's wishes.

The majority will want a decorated tree and if there isn't anything religious, very few would object.
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you ask your guests if Christmas decorations are acceptable, do you ask your guests if they want Easter, Chinese New Year, Diwali, Ganesh, Halloween, Hanukkah* decorations too?

*There will be others in this the list. this is short to give you some idea of what is perhaps missing.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

CSE wrote:If you ask your guests if Christmas decorations are acceptable, do you ask your guests if they want Easter, Chinese New Year, Diwali, Ganesh, Halloween, Hanukkah* decorations too?

*There will be others in this the list. this is short to give you some idea of what is perhaps missing.
Gosh, must be one long party at your place CSE! :D :D

I only put up decorations for Christmas so only need to check guests preference about those.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never said I do it. Read it again please.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Slightly off topic but on the same theme.
We always leave a bottle of wine and a carton of fresh milk for our guests.
Last year we had a booking from an Indian couple from Delhi.
Our first thoughts were if they were Muslims the wine could be unacceptable and maybe insulting. Similarly if they were Hindus the milk could be unacceptable and insulting.
A bit of a quandary that was solved by emailing them to ascertain whether the milk and wine would be OK for them.
They replied they would be delighted to receive the wine and milk.
They were a lovely couple and amongst our best guests we have ever had.
Thus, the moral is in this multi cultural world and country, if you are uncertain about gifts/decorations contact your guests beforehand.
Keep your powder dry.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

We stick to nice lights and secular symbols such as a tree and holly.
Seems to work and we don't bring in food or drink now as it was never really commented upon or appreciated when we did. Keep it minimal. People want their own space not somebody's interpretation of it
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Drax wrote:Slightly off topic but on the same theme.
I think leaving wine may be a problem without having an alcohol license?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

newtimber wrote:
Drax wrote:Slightly off topic but on the same theme.
I think leaving wine may be a problem without having an alcohol license?
I hope you're joking!